Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

2014 C7 Corvette Reveal Live Video Stream

C7 An Internationally Improved Departure

Just goes to show you cant please everyone all the time. I think GM has achieved their goal of appealing to a younger, more international demographic. It totally harkens to a euro styling, so what if it has styling cue's from other models. I think it does it well. A lot of Ferrari both new and old is what I see. I like the quarter windows, it's character. Progress is key, we have to move forward to stay relevant and I like it. Ya the tail lights may take some getting used to but then how many of us have seen it in person yet? Just like all C versions there will be lovers and haters. Parts we like, parts we love, parts that Corvette guy's (and gals) whats not love! I for one cant afford it so I will continue to love my 96 regardless. However C5 and 6's will start to become more available to guys like me, thats good news.
I thinl this car is good news for all of us Vettaholics. I cant wait to see and read more about the C7. Smile, the brand lives on!

Cheers' :beer :w

Another 73 photos uploaded in the gallery.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

After all the hype, this thing is Hideous with a capital 'H'. If I didn't know better, I'd swear this was something that just rolled off the Nissan assembly line.

Thanks GM for reaffirming that we did the right thing in purchasing our C6 Z06 and C6 convertilble. Both are paid for and make the 2014 version look like something out of a comic book.

C7 First Impressions

I have watched the live reveal of the next generation, C7 Corvette, and have read comments on the various Corvette forums, and would like to make some observations of my own.

My first thought is that this new model Corvette is unmistakably a Corvette. Like it or not; it screams Corvette. I do not see how any Corvette guy could say anything otherwise; it definitely looks like a Vette as only a Vette can.

I am not old enough to remember the 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd generation debuts, but I remember the 3rd to 4th well. I had some trouble with the looks of the later 3rd generation cars because of the big rounded hatch that was introduced in 1978. It was my least favorite Corvette, but I still liked the car. I just would have rather had a 73 or earlier, but that is personal preference. When the C4 arrived I was very pleased with the new generation. The lines were a little “sharper” and the look was very modern to me. I think the proportions of the C4 are “just right.” I have a C4 that I will probably own forever. Other cars will come and go (Corvettes included) but my C4 is my first and will stay with me till the end. At least; I think it will.

When the C5 was introduced I did not like it much at all. I felt the lines were too “soft” or “round”. And we have all heard this before; “the C5 has a fat ass”. And it is true. The rear end design of the C5 is out of proportion to the rest of the car. It just looks too big. However; the technology was advanced (as it is with all Corvettes in any era), and as a diehard Vette guy, I was able to see the positives and eventually I came to love the C5. Yes; it “grew” on me. Some of the coolest modified Vettes I have seen are C5s, but my initial response to the design was that I didn’t like it as much as past generations.

When the C6 was introduced I was aghast that the designers left the headlights hanging out as if they were the headlights of just any other car. This is a Corvette dammit! The headlights need to tuck away as they have since the 1963 Stingray hid them. But shortly after seeing the car in real life a few times, I began to think of the C6 as one of the best looking Corvettes. Once the LS7 Z06 was introduced, the 6th generation Corvette was easily one of my favorites of all time. At some point I hope to own a C6 Z06, but am planning on a building a tubbed C3 with a blown small block for my next Vette project. But I digress…

There has been much discussion and most of not very favorable about the rear end design of the car. While my first impressions are that I prefer the styling of the previous generation of the car, I do not think it is a deal breaker, and I think it may grow on me. That being said; I still do not like the rear design of the C5 Corvette: It never grew on me, even if the car did. To all C5 owners; I mean no disrespect. I love the C5 Corvette. If it came right down to it I can think of something to complain about on every generation; but I still love them all. And as far as the comments about the dash being C4esqu… what is wrong with heritage? If there are some styling cues that remind of what came before, I think that is a very positive aspect of the new design.

For me the point is this: I am a Corvette guy. I love Vettes from all generations but just like anyone else I have my favorites. The newest generation of Corvette is freakin’ awesome to me because it is brand new. The new LT1 has me just as excited as the LS1 when it was announced. The fact that GM has brought back the Stingray moniker is fine with me… I think it is overdue. And just like with previous Corvettes, GM will move automotive technology forward by testing new technology on our favorite car first. It is our favorite car, right? How cool is that? Our favorite car molds automotive technology for all other cars on a regular basis and has throughout history. And it looks better doing it, but more importantly; it outperforms anything in its price range while shaping the future for not only the Corvette, but for other cars, as well. It always has. Before you spend too much energy bashing the new design, keep in mind that GM has stayed true to the Corvette heritage… even if you don’t like the taillights.

After all the hype, this thing is Hideous with a capital 'H'. If I didn't know better, I'd swear this was something that just rolled off the Nissan assembly line.

Or AMC? :boogie

attachment.php

DSC_0195.jpg

Attachments

• 640px-1966_Rambler_Marlin_Fastback_rear.jpg
    640px-1966_Rambler_Marlin_Fastback_rear.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Don't dump on AMC for the '65-'66 Marlins. At least they more than corrected their mistake with the '67 Marlin, which was a beautiful car. I bet we're stuck with this C7 monstrosity for a good long while. Basic styling aside, I hope they decide to at least finish painting the car. What's with the bare roof and ass-end, and the "eye makeup" around the tail lights, anyway? It makes the whole car look even more unfinished/discordant. Say, I do see what your getting at, though: the C7 rear window glass looks like it was lifted right off of that early Marlin. What goes around, comes around, eh?

Last edited:
Before you spend too much energy bashing the new design, keep in mind that GM has stayed true to the Corvette heritage… even if you don’t like the taillights.

"Staying true to the Corvette heritage"? By borrowing "square" taillights from Camaro? By using cylinder de-activation so your Corvette is running on four cylinders at highway cruise? Vents on just about every surface? By going back to the ill-fated C4 era electronic dash with all its problems? About the only thing GM stayed true with are the outside mirrors from the C6 and retaining the two-seater configuration. And what is up with that ass end? It's busier than a puppy with two peters! To those who like it, good for you. To Corvette loyalists like me (I've owned 20), I don't see it...other than the 450hp, 7-speed transmission, and the projected sub-4 sec. 0-60 times.

Has there been any mention of a convertible version? I've read that the Z06 and ZR1 versions are at least two years out.

Last edited:
When I saw the first artist's rendition of the C7 Corvette, I started "saving my quarters." Aerodynamic, futuristic, different from all other sport cars of its genre. I don't want a car that looks like some foreign car; I don't want a car that has some of the look of its "poor" sister (well, maybe not so poor). As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some, like me, are no longer enthused and some are all agog. Now what to do with all the quarters:D:D

Well it looks like I am keeping my 2006, Z-51, although the increase in stiffness is welcome and the rev matching sound interesting; I absolutely hate the rear end, especially the rear window, yuck.:eyerole

I like it !:thumb When i first look at it in a sketch, i didnt like the back end, looks too much like a camaro, but looking at it now, it looks better than the cartoon sketch !

When I saw the first artist's rendition of the C7 Corvette, I started "saving my quarters." Aerodynamic, futuristic, different from all other sport cars of its genre. I don't want a car that looks like some foreign car; I don't want a car that has some of the look of its "poor" sister (well, maybe not so poor). As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some, like me, are no longer enthused and some are all agog. Now what to do with all the quarters:D:D

When I saw the first artist's rendition of the C7 Corvette, I started looking at the Porsche Boxster/Cayman. When I complained about the C7, I was told to withhold judgement until actual photos of the car appeared. Now, when I say that the actual car is even worse than the worst of all the pre-reveal renderings, I'm being told to withhold judgement until I see the car in person. I'm guessing that, when I leave the NAIAS next week shaking my head in disgust, I'll be told to give the C7 time to "grow on me" before passing judgement. Apparently, it should be like getting used to living with an infirmity. I'm supposed to just buy one and shut up about it.

Hmmm. I can still remember the exact moment that I saw my first photo of a C3 back in '67, because I was so totally smitten by the car. My first glimpse of a C4...first C6...the same thing: blown out of my skin with lust. A Corvette is not a car that you need. It's a car that you want. I'm in my late 50s now, and when I finish selling off my small "fleet" of vehicles, I'll be looking to purchase what may well be my last expensive sports car. I refuse to drop $70k+ on a car that I have to look away from when I approach it, no matter how good of a car it may be mechanically. Even more emphatically than with the C5, Chevy has completely lost me with this car...

When I saw the first artist's rendition of the C7 Corvette, I started looking at the Porsche Boxster/Cayman. When I complained about the C7, I was told to withhold judgement until actual photos of the car appeared. Now, when I say that the actual car is even worse than the worst of all the pre-reveal renderings, I'm being told to withhold judgement until I see the car in person. I'm guessing that, when I leave the NAIAS next week shaking my head in disgust, I'll be told to give the C7 time to "grow on me" before passing judgement. Apparently, it should be like getting used to living with an infirmity. I'm supposed to just buy one and shut up about it.

Hmmm. I can still remember the exact moment that I saw my first photo of a C3 back in '67, because I was so totally smitten by the car. My first glimpse of a C4...first C6...the same thing: blown out of my skin with lust. A Corvette is not a car that you need. It's a car that you want. I'm in my late 50s now, and when I finish selling off my small "fleet" of vehicles, I'll be looking to purchase what may well be my last expensive sports car. I refuse to drop $70k+ on a car that I have to look away from when I approach it, no matter how good of a car it may be mechanically. Even more emphatically than with the C5, Chevy has completely lost me with this car...

I am in my late 60's and have only owned two Corvettes - an '89 and my 2004 Vert. This is not to say that I didn't lust after the '63 split window that a high school girlfriend's father bought her prior to getting her license and guess who drove it. Or lusting for the '67 Roadster that slipped through my fingers or the '62 Roadster that was too customized but beautiful. IMHO, every Vette that I have mentioned look like Vettes to me. Is the new Vette more sophisticated? Of course, but why do people buy Corvettes? Maybe 33% track them; 33% use them as DD's and 33% keep them in a garage. So again, IMHO, the new C7 will be bought up by many, but there will be many who just have not been smitten. Even in the elder years, when I see something that really hits me/stings me/gotta have it feeling, it's not so long after that it's mine. Well, maybe not everything:L My son wanted my C5 and he was waiting for the C7 to come out. He is very disappointed that I am disappointed. He'll just have to search for one on his own instead of getting the deal of the century from his old man.:D

I am totally and completely enamored with this car. I have sent pictures to my friends, posted it on facebook, added it to my dream board, printed a picture and posted it right in front of my desk. I love everything about this car. It is the first time in a long time that I have been totally taken by a piece of automotive machinery. Interestingly, I thought I would hate it, based upon the blips I've seen here and there. I especially thought I'd hate the taillights but to have the title of a C7 it has to be "different." And, it does have just the right about of international flare to compete with the exotics all the while totally retaining the corvette look. IT ROCKS!!! IT ROCKS!!!! I will have one.....:happyanim:

Pictures don't do the car justice. You have to see it in person.

Right now I'm taking care of site stuff and publicity for the CAC, and the media group is slowly dieing back. I'm going to try to head back up and take more shots, and actually sit inside if possible.

I am totally and completely envious.... I'm so enthralled with this car I would have LOVED to be there. Cars always look better in person than in photos... I can't even imagine would it WILL BE LIKE to sit in this and drive it. I CAN'T WAIT!!!!

I was just going back through and reading others' posts. Interesting all the varying opinions about it. I've liked every generation; the only one that I really didn't like at all initially was the C5. I always disliked the rear end although I LOVED the front styling. I thought it was an amazingly bold move from the C4 and was worthy of a new generational tag (C5). Up until seeing this C7, I had planned to get me a C6 this year as I LOVE those too. Very much. Took some time for the headlights to grow on me but now I think the car is exquisite. Its a shame to have to let that go but I will for this C7. The attitude that spews from this new rendition just moves me beyond words! ATTITUDE!!!! It says to me, "CORVETTE IS HERE AND IS HERE TO STAY" and kick some butt in the process. :thumb

After seeing the pics of the dark gray and the rear, I thought it didn't look quite as horrendous as the red/black rear. It just seems too unfinished when you see all of the black against a lighter contrasting color. Like others, I'd like to see one in person. That being said, when I first saw a '63 and then a '68, I was smitten. Finally got a '73 and never looked back. Maybe a new Stingray someday.

Any word on a roadster version? Also the functional hood heat extractor will certainly pose design problems for the aftermarket CAI folks.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom