Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

454 Aluminum Intake Options to fit Stock BB Hood?

2003torchred

Corvette
2003 Torch Red Convertible
Just checking the forum to see what options if any are there for an aluminum intake on a 454...and one that maintains the height to use a stock BB hood (not and L88 hood) on a 70 vette? We were installing a new rebuilt 454 that has a medium alum polished intake, but it is over 2.5 inches too high.... Any help here would be appreciated. The heads are oval shaped intakes for reference. If you have any options, please let me know the manufacturer, make, model and particularly one that fits. Really would like to keep the OE BB hood on this 1970.
Thanks

I've never found an aftermarket intake that would fit under the hood of an LS-5 Corvette. Years ago, I saw a 1970 LS-5 using the aluminum intake from the 427 L36. That was a nice set up, accommodated the stock Q-Jet, and looked factory to the casual eye. I don't think it's being reproduced so used or NOS (if you can find one) is the only option. Be sure to select the proper carb gasket and heat shield since the heat riser passage on this manifold is exposed as it goes under the carb, unlike the stock LS-5 manifold.

The 1971 LS-6 manifold is aluminum and uses the standard big block hood. But I believe it's for large port heads and has a square flange for its Holley.

I've never found an aftermarket intake that would fit under the hood of an LS-5 Corvette. Years ago, I saw a 1970 LS-5 using the aluminum intake from the 427 L36. That was a nice set up, accommodated the stock Q-Jet, and looked factory to the casual eye. I don't think it's being reproduced so used or NOS (if you can find one) is the only option. Be sure to select the proper carb gasket and heat shield since the heat riser passage on this manifold is exposed as it goes under the carb, unlike the stock LS-5 manifold.

The 1971 LS-6 manifold is aluminum and uses the standard big block hood. But I believe it's for large port heads and has a square flange for its Holley.

Thanks. Your info is exactly what I have found... not many options. So, the hood is being changed to an L88 type of bulge, so that will fit and will look good. Thanks again.

Just checking the forum to see what options if any are there for an aluminum intake on a 454...and one that maintains the height to use a stock BB hood (not and L88 hood) on a 70 vette? We were installing a new rebuilt 454 that has a medium alum polished intake, but it is over 2.5 inches too high.... Any help here would be appreciated. The heads are oval shaped intakes for reference. If you have any options, please let me know the manufacturer, make, model and particularly one that fits. Really would like to keep the OE BB hood on this 1970.
Thanks

I have a '72 454@496 cu with a Edelbrock Performer 2.0 (not the RPM) and it will just fit with a 2" filter and my EZ EFI 2.0 injektion kit. The preveous owner might have milled a bit off, but Im not sure.
The intake seems to work well and the engine delivers 545 HP at 5682 RPM with Edelbrock topendkit and big headers.

I have been wanting a bit more room for larger filter but want to keep the stock 72 big block hood. I have been looking at the Edelbrock Torker 2 which is quite a bit lower, but being a singleplain I'm afraid to loose to much buttom end power.

Weiand also makes a few options that might fit your need.

/Ole, Denmark

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom