Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! 61 Clutch linkage problem

VetteVirgin

Corvette
Ermine '61
I have just had my 61 delivered last night and discovered that it was practically undrivable due to the clutch linkage. The pedal is pushed so far forward that I actually have to open the door to bend my leg far enough to get my foot on it!
This car is NOM and has a late 68/9 vintage 350 with a Muncie installed.
At first glance I would guess that one or more of the following may be the issue:
Incorrect z-bar
Incorrect linkage from pedal to bell crank
Incorrect release bearing
I am attaching a couple photos. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

DT the VetteVirgin

First off, Welcome to the Corvette Action Center.

1955 (2nd design) and all 1956-1963 use the short throwout bearing. (1 1/4" long) If you have the long bearing (1 7/8") it will raise your pedal. I'm not sure how much but it could be significant once it goes through the z bar.

Also you appear to have the wrong z bar. Notice in this scan that you should have a bracket that bolts to the z bar arm that the pedal return spring attaches to. Also the angle is wrong on the one you have raising the pedal. Yours angles towards the firewall and the correct one angles towards the front of the car.

Tom

I just edited the above post. Please re-read.

Thanks Tom!

I'm guessing whoever did the engine/tranny swap just pulled the entire unit from a late 60's chevy and installed it with the linkage/z bar from the donor vehicle.
I have one more question if you don't mind...
Since the tranny is a later muncie, should I use the 64+ clutch fork or is the 61 clutch fork still the proper one to use?
I think I'll start by replacing the z-bar. Hopefully that will drop the pedal enough to at least make it drivable.
Thanks again!

DT

Assuming that you have the '61 clutch and bellhousing keep it all '61.

Tom

That's also not a Corvette clutch pedal or rod linkage, or clutch fork either. Time to call Paragon and order everything from the pedal to the fork, plus a correct Corvette throwout bearing (Corvette TO bearings are 1-1/4" long, and passenger car TO bearings are 1-7/8" long). :thumb

Tom,
To the best of my knowledge, nothing in the drive line between the radiator and the drive shaft is 61. I believe it all dates to the time of the engine - 68 or 69. How would that impact the clutch fork? If the bellhousing is not 61 would it be best to just pull the tranny and put a 61 on it?
John,
Thanks! That is the best course of action. I just want to make sure I get the correct parts for this transmission. Can you replace the fork without pulling the engine/tranny? Can you just drop the tranny like with many other vintage american cars?
Sorry for all the questions guys. I guess my virginity is showing!

DT

Dt, Look under dash at the pedal support and see if you have rubber pedal stop on your clutch pedal. If you don't this will be part of the reason the pedal is high. I thing i have all the 61 clutch linkage if you need it. If i can help,i will be glad to help since i have 61 also. You will have to pull trans. to replace throw out arm. Ace

Ace,

Thank you for your offer! If I can't obtain everything I need from Paragon/Eckler et al I may be messaging you!
The pedal doesn't have the stops. I had a z-bar overnighted and I'm hoping that will at least make it drivable until I can assemble the parts and have it properly fixed. In a week or so I will be having the tranny pulled and the following replaced:
1. Entire pedal to clutch fork linkage (except for z-bar which i will replace myself)
2. Transmission bellhousing
3. Pressure plate, clutch plate, pilot bushing, throwout bearing.
I'll also have the radiator replaced with an aluminum flat fin unit and vintage air installed.
Then I will just have to make up my mind about the engine - whether to go period correct or restomod. I'm leaning towards period correct - probably a CQ or CT. But there's no rush for that - I bought the car to be a driver.

DT

Argh! They even cut the return spring bracket from the frame! Could someone possibly tell me the distance from the rear of the z-bar bracket to the front edge of the return spring bracket on the frame? Thanks!

Found the answer in the assembly manual - 5.32 from center of z-bar bracket ball to center of hole in return spring bracket.

Update

The "custom" lower link turned out to be the primary issue (see photo). The z-bar and z-bar bracket were actually the only correct parts of the entire linkage. I'm still waiting for the upper link, pedal and throwout bearing from Paragon (back order purgatory), but the problem is 80% corrected and at least it is drivable now.
Thanks for all the help. Don't know why I panicked when I saw that pedal and the linkage - guess I'm too used to dealing with hydraulic clutches!

DT

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom