Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

7.0 Liters or 427?

Should the engine powering the new 2006 Z06 be referred to as "7.0 Liters" or "427&qu

• 7.0 Liters

Votes: 32 29.9%
  • 427 cu. in.

Votes: 75 70.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
The latest issue of Corvette Quarterly wants your opinion.

The LS7 small-block V8 in the 2006 Corvette Z06 (and new C6R racer) displaces exactly 7.0 liters or 427 cu. in. - take your pick. For some enthusiasts, the term "seven liters" has a world-class appeal. evoking images of fine automobiles and of tracks like Le Mans, Nurburgring and other sacred venues. But for others, "427 cubic inches" has an all-American swagger; it's a throwback term reminiscent of muscle-car performance during the big-block era of the late 1960s and early '70s. What's your opinioni? Send us an e-mail at
corvettequarterly@campbell-ewald.com
and weigh in on which term you prefer, and why.

We here at the Corvette Action Center want your opinion! Please take a second and vote in our online poll and tell us what you think!

The 427 has it's place in history. The new LS7 should carve it's own legend under it's own name and designation... the LS7... 7.0 litre.

-Mac

• Admin
Mac said:
The 427 has it's place in history. The new LS7 should carve it's own legend under it's own name and designation... the LS7... 7.0 litre.

-Mac

I say "427" :D

I like to look forward... If you wanna look backward instead of forward, that's your prerogative!

-Mac

I say 427 CID. let the ricers be measured in litres.

You'll notice my avatar doesn't say "6.8334057 L". (Guess which I chose.) :L

Forward or backwards, 427 evoks the American muscle that we have come to relate to!!

427 Small Block

I know it wasn't an option .... guess how I voted.:_rock

Something just says unfair when 427 and small block are in the same breath. I guess it would depend on the crowd though, for many of our bretheren outside North America there is an awe, wonderment, and deserved respect when the elite 7 ... yes SEVEN ... Liters is mentioned.

Can't wait till the crate motor is available ... August maybe. It's definately got me rethinking rebuilding the ole L-98. :lou

:w

To me there's no question. When Chevy built their Power Tour Camaro and put a 302 in it they didn't call it a 5 liter...this is all about American muscle--427. Andy

wishuwerehere82 said:
I think 1,420 teaspoons sounds fairly impressive!

Hah!!! I would vote for 1,420 teaspoons if it were an option...but since it's not I voted 427. :L

Technically speaking, isn't the engine a 428? (I know, 427 sounds cooler due to it's place in history...)

-J.

I said 7.0 L for my own selfish reasons.

I think that the 427 monacre should be left to RIP along with the 454 monacre. Why? They are Big Blocks. The new 7.0 L ZO6 motor is a small block, and I feel it should be labled as a small block, so that the Big Fat Motors of an era gone by can hang on to their status as the biggest (not baddest, just biggest) motors ever produced in a Corvette. Naming it a 427 implies Big Block Status, and it is clearly not a Big Block.

Keep in mind I do not discount that it is 427ci. Just call it a 7.0L like the LS2 is a 6.0L or the LS1 was a 5.7L. We all know it's a 427... I don't think GM will sell more cars simply by putting a badge that reads 427 on the hood. Most people don't even know what that means anyway.

Absolutely 427.
BUT, how 'bout 427 "small block," in order to distinguish itself from its older brother.:)

-John

Since the LS-7 is a small block and the only thing it has in common with the 427 BB is the displacement I voted 7.0. I have to agree with letting the 427 BB RIP. It did well in its day. The new 7.0, 427,or (...How many teaspoons did you guys say? Oh yea 1,420) has to carve out it's own pages in corvette history.

H.D.

JJS said:
Absolutely 427.
BUT, how 'bout 427 "small block," in order to distinguish itself from its older brother.:)

-John

I meant "427 small block.".......as in a single phrase.

Mac said:

-Mac

What he said :D

JJS said:
Absolutely 427.

-John

You really want to put the phrase "427 Small Block" on the hood or front Q of a Vette?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom