Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

7.0 Liters or 427?

Should the engine powering the new 2006 Z06 be referred to as "7.0 Liters" or "427&qu

• 7.0 Liters

Votes: 32 29.9%
  • 427 cu. in.

Votes: 75 70.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I couldn't care less whether it's a big block or small block :eyerole .....it's all about the displacement :upthumbs . The "427" is all about American muscle :_rock . Let the Europeans keep their Litres.

Brett

Opps. Sorry Mac. I didn't read all of the responses before I posted. Didn't mean to steal your thunder.

H.D.

7 Liters for me. Nostalgia causes me to reserve the numbers 427 for that special big-block feeling I got way back in the 60's.

I revere the numbers so much, I continue to use them on the hood in spite of 8.2 liters occupying the space. ;)
assembly03-350.jpg

I am going to have to go with 7.0L. Again, the 427 is a number from the past, but to reuse it again... There have only been a few times that the Corvette has had a little bit of the past put into the labeling of the newer Corvettes. Like Z06. Although not labeled with badges in the past it is known now. The Corvette has always had a new engine number and can easily be recognized by that.

I am a Brit living in the US. For me, 427 is absolutely the right label for the Z06, because of the history and American 'Swagger'. Europeans don't normally work in CU's so the translation takes a few seconds (like the difference between degrees F and degrees C). So for Europeans, they have to know it's a 7-litre.

427 for me!!!!

74bigblock said:
You really want to put the phrase "427 Small Block" on the hood or front Q of a Vette?

NO!
As far as the emblem goes, it's gotta be 427.
I can't even imagine a corvette emblem stating the engine size in liters.

I'd be willing to bet a :beer that the majority of those voting 7.0L are over 50 yrs old :L

Keeping those memories sacred ;)

Brett

67HEAVEN said:
I revere the numbers so much, I continue to use them on the hood in spite of 8.2 liters occupying the space. ;)
assembly03-350.jpg

Ohhhhh......a little false advertising eh. Look forward to seeing your beauty at the Cruise Fest

Brett

I complained months ago!!!!!!!!!!!!

If somebody at GM had a half of a brain they would have started their ad campaign before the C6 was released with the "427 enough said".

This would have drove the sales of the C6 through the roof like the "Hemi" did for Chrysler.

I voted for "427" the legend continues. And the new Hemi has very little in common with the Hemi of old, but they are going to wind up putting the Hemi into anything that moves.

Alan

kingman said:
If somebody at GM had a half of a brain they would have started their ad campaign before the C6 was released with the "427 enough said".

This would have drove the sales of the C6 through the roof like the "Hemi" did for Chrysler.

I voted for "427" the legend continues. And the new Hemi has very little in common with the Hemi of old, but they are going to wind up putting the Hemi into anything that moves.

Alan

Good point.

7 liters. I agree with Mac. I like to think of the C6 smoking a Euro 7 litre. But as I see, I am in the minority.

Hell with the need to smoke a "Euro 7 litre"...there are none of them anyway.

The "old" Z06 was already quicker and better handline that most of what Europe has to offer. The only exceptions were some pretty exotic and very costly cars.

BTW...GM announced at the SAE Detroit Section meeting earlier this week that the LS7's federally-certified power output is 505hp. Additioanlly, at the SAE meeting, Dave Hill, stated that the fenders are carbon fiber and the engine cradle is magnesium. The car has aluminum frame rails (with double the wall thickness of the steel ones).
The mass reduction of all this was 210 lbs. Brakes, wheels, tires and some other items are all bigger and heavier, adding 90 lbs increase. So the net reduction is 120 lbs over the base C6, a curb weight of 3150 lbs and a weight/power ratio of 6.24.

Roadster Fan said:
I'd be willing to bet a :beer that the majority of those voting 7.0L are over 50 yrs old :L

Keeping those memories sacred ;)

Brett

Yup and I still remember my first ride in a Big Block Vette even if it was only a 396-425 back in the spring of 66 ;LOL how many litres is that? 6.5?

bossvette said:
Yup and I still remember my first ride in a Big Block Vette even if it was only a 396-425 back in the spring of 66 ;LOL

Craig,

You and I need to go for a short cruise in Bowling Green. ;)

1965 396/425hp Corvette --
Torque: 415 lbs-ft. @ 4,000 rpm

ZZ-502 crate
Torque: 567 lbs-ft. @ 4,200 rpm

In fact, it achieves over 550 lbs-ft. "below" 3,000 rpm :eek

Sorry for the
smiley-OT.gif
comment, folks. :D

427 forever!!

My vote is for 427!! The Corvette is American "swagger", and is the biggest thing GM has to swagger about.

I think the statement from CQ " For some enthusiasts, the term "seven liters" has a world-class appeal. evoking images of fine automobiles and of tracks like Le Mans, Nurburgring and other sacred venues" may be somewhat accurate for potential buyers from overseas, but GM needs to remember what got them where they are now.

It's wasn't liters, (we drink liters) we brag about inches, we race cubic inches. The L88 Corvette was revered by the French when Gulstrand drove it to LeMans and dubbed it "Le Monstre". Monsters are big inchers, not liters. Cubic inches is what we used when Corvette was earning the respect (by beating) Jags and Ferrari's back in the 50's and 60's.

Listen to the C6R's on the racetrack compared to other cars, that's cubic inches you hear.

Come'on Campbell-Ewald, go with our strength and create some ads that glory in the all-American Corvette racing like the ones you did in the 50s and 60s. Ads like Legends of the Magnificent Ghosts, Bring on the Hay Bales. Ask yourselves what Harley Earl would do. Don't sell out our history just because you might think it will sell a few more cars overseas.
http://www.carofthecentury.com/the_real_corvette_story.htm

Ol Blue, original and still owner of 1963 Corvette.
http://www.knology.net/~corvettes/63vett.jpg
IMSA racer powered by 427 L-88 engine (not 7.0 liter)
http://www.corvettekid.com/USA_WON/68imsadaytona.gif

bossvette said:
Yup and I still remember my first ride in a Big Block Vette even if it was only a 396-425 back in the spring of 66 ;LOL how many litres is that? 6.5?

Hey Boss......I'll also bet another :beer that if you go for a ride in my "small block" 427 at the Cruise Fest......you'll very quickly realise there aint no difference ;)

Brett

Yea Im definatly looking forward to some "rides":lou:lou:cool

and just hang out and BS , now if we could get my Echre Partner to come in from the wet coast :upthumbs

There is NO substitute for CUBIC INCHES

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom