Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

71 Tachometer Question

G

Gawdfather

The tach on my 71 does not work, someone told me it was a gear in the Distributor, but I cannot find any documentation on how to repair it or even to see if that is the problem.
Could anyone help me out with instructions or a nudge in the right direction to finding instructions?
Thank you in advance.

Can't find my C3 stuff, and several things can go wrong, but the most common one is for the gear that is driven by the distributor (and turns the tach cable) to have its teeth stripped.

The tach drive/cable is at a bad angle. IIRC, the gear is under a screw-on cover on the distributor housing that the cable goes into, and the cable goes into it.

In any case, it's cheap and easy to replace, and somebody used to make a trick drive to keep it from failing. Don't remember how it worked.

Hopefully, the gear on the distributor shaft is ok. While you can use a drill to check the tach, the only way to check the gears themselves is by inspecting them.

Besides searching, you might also look at some of the large Corvette supply house catalogs for replacement units to get an idea of what it's like. Occasionally, they also have installation instructions or breakdown sheets.

It might be worth picking up a basic C3 manual; they're great cars, but they do sometimes need attention.

Thank you

Thank you very much gentlemen, your info has been very helpful.
of course now I have to try to put it all into practice, which will be the real test :p

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom