Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

73 before and after pictures

Love to see another 73 brought back from the brink. Are you sure it spent all it's life in Vancouver prior to your ownership? That looks like eastern rust to me. I've yet to see a Vancouver Vette rusted out that way...

-Mac

your pics caught my eye because I have what appears to be an identical car. 73 L-82, 4-spd, blue-green metallic, medium saddle interior. only power option is windows. My chassis is not is as bad a shape as yours appreared to be before you started. I don't have any rust issues, but I sure wish my chassis looked like yours does now!! I just can't stay out of mine long enough to put her down for a big job like that. Mine is all original except for a mediocre repaint done by a previous owner. Great work, thanks for sharing.
:w
Thanks for all the great comments, really appreciate them. I only drove the car 4 miles when I took it in for the safety (it flunked) but it was enough to give me the motivation for a frame off...a few more weeks and I should be able to get some serious seat time.

Build sheet shows a Vancouver selling dealer and the person I bought it from in B.C. had spoken with the original and second owner(i'm the 4th). Must have been a nice car to pick up new from the dealership probably right about this time in 73 (March build date)
only option on mine aside from the L82, M21 was the AM/FM Mono radio
1054gf8.jpg

What a fabulous job you have done! :upthumbs

Thanks very much for all the pics. Seeing the fruits of your labor must really be very satisfying!

SAVE THE :w

Nice work! Thanks for helping keep a 73 on the road. Love to hear those 73 stories.

Very cool. I'm doing my build project right now but nothing like that. Nice job!

:w
Thanks for all the great comments, really appreciate them. I only drove the car 4 miles when I took it in for the safety (it flunked) but it was enough to give me the motivation for a frame off...a few more weeks and I should be able to get some serious seat time.

Build sheet shows a Vancouver selling dealer and the person I bought it from in B.C. had spoken with the original and second owner(i'm the 4th). Must have been a nice car to pick up new from the dealership probably right about this time in 73 (March build date)
only option on mine aside from the L82, M21 was the AM/FM Mono radio
So your Vette is like mine... "arm-strong" steering, manual brakes, cranky windows, etc. I couldn't find a build sheet, more's the pity, but rust... I had plenty!

-Mac

Here are a few more shots as I near completion....just going crazy at the thought of driving it soon!!
2rz8knp.jpg

2h30owl.jpg

213hmvd.jpg

2dugfww.jpg

Howard, is that air cleaner assembly the original setup?

I ask because I always thought that rubber surround was to create a seal for the air induction from the hood. But since you have a snorkel and no air intake through your hood, what would be the purpose of the rubber?
I'm not questioning your work, but asking in sincerity since I really don't know and never really thought about it before.

Is it simply a bumper to keep the air cleaner pan from tagging the underside of the hood?

I always thought that rubber surround was to create a seal for the air induction from the hood
Correct, this was the original setup used, the car has the cowl induction hood :)

Correct, this was the original setup used, the car has the cowl induction hood :)
It's hard to see... Are there vents(?) on top of the hood near the windshield wipers? And those run under the hood to the scoop on the underside, above the air cleaner?

I wonder how much suction it gets with the snorkel under the hood as well. Regardless, some cooler air is better than none at all!

I'm taking a refreshed look at these kind of setups because after analyzing my setup, I now realize that for "cold air inductions", the original factory setup on my car was likely better than an open-element air filter that I currently have. (Unfortunately, I still like the looks of the open-element better than the OEM setup on the late C3's.)
Sorry, I hope this doesn't hijack your thread. :w

It's hard to see... Are there vents(?) on top of the hood near the windshield wipers? And those run under the hood to the scoop on the underside, above the air cleaner?

I wonder how much suction it gets with the snorkel under the hood as well. Regardless, some cooler air is better than none at all!

I'm taking a refreshed look at these kind of setups because after analyzing my setup, I now realize that for "cold air inductions", the original factory setup on my car was likely better than an open-element air filter that I currently have. (Unfortunately, I still like the looks of the open-element better than the OEM setup on the late C3's.)
Sorry, I hope this doesn't hijack your thread. :w
The 82 hood is even more sneaky. It has a hidden ram scoop that draws from in front of the radiator.

Very nice! Your dedication has payed off. Congrats!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom