Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

73 Build Sheet Q#2

CAPNZ

Corvette
1973 White coupe
I have the car in for service ask we speak prior to winter storage. I asked the mechanic if he could check for a build sheet. He said he had a mirror and would try to find it. He just informed me he couldn't see it. Is the sheet farther up on the tank where you can't see it unless the tank is dropped?????

TIA "Jeff"

Mine is on the passenger side of the filler neck, pretty much centered front to back. I can pull the boot back and actually see part of it, no mirror required.

Mine is on the passenger side of the filler neck, pretty much centered front to back. I can pull the boot back and actually see part of it, no mirror required.

WOW!
Thanks. I just the the car back. I'll go check it now.
"Jeff"

BINGO!!!!!!
KOPBET you da MAN!
This is what this forum is all about. It's right where you said. Albeit I can't read anything but I can see the perforated edge. Did you take yours off.
If so, what precautions should one take? I'll have the garage do it as I standby. IMO this has got to add atleast $1,000.00 to the price if everything matches. Which I hope it will. Only 38K original miles.

Thanks Again!
"Jeff"

BINGO!!!!!!
KOPBET you da MAN!
This is what this forum is all about. It's right where you said. Albeit I can't read anything but I can see the perforated edge. Did you take yours off.
If so, what precautions should one take? I'll have the garage do it as I standby. IMO this has got to add atleast $1,000.00 to the price if everything matches. Which I hope it will. Only 38K original miles.

Thanks Again!
"Jeff"

Excellent!

I have about 3/4s of it in hand from when I bought the car Unfortuately it's not the part with most of the good stuff on it. Not sure how it was separated from the rest though. I took a look one day and sure enough, the rest of it was there (so it appears). I have yet to drop the tank and recover it, but someday soon I will.

BTW - you can drop the spare tire carrier and feel up and around on top of the tank and actually get ahold of it, but a good portion of mine is glued pretty well to the tank and I was afraid to keep pulling for fear of wrecking it some more.

I'll drop a pic in here when I get home.

Build sheets have less value on '72 and up Corvettes as the VIN already confirms what engine the car was built with.

There were fewer and fewer 'high value/high performance/rare' options as the 70's worn on, so seeing what's on your build sheet will be more for nostalgic interest than anything else.

The rarest option on my car was the C50 rear window defroster, one of 4412 built. I can't tell you how excited people get when I tell them that.;)

Mikey, you're entitled to your own opinion but, I think with these C-3's it does add vaule to the automobile. Not to mention the provenance. An option such as the C50 is verified and tells a potential buyer that the owner didn't add stuff to the car. JMO. You got a BB?

"Jeff"

Let’s do a little refresh here before we get too excited on matching numbers:
Unless your car is still in wrappers, I would bet that there have been parts removed and replaced.
There is so much more than an engine block that matches a VIN number. The new vehicle inspection procedure sheet that was filled out by a dealership technician signed and dated shows engine and transmission numbers. Date coded items fall very much into the matching numbers of your car. Some items are the carburetor, Shocks, UM2 option 8 track tape player, the interior carpet set, both sections are date coded front and rear, power steering pump, engine cooling fan clutch, steering gearbox. These are just a few I can think of right off and the date code should only be 30 days + - a couple either way of the trim tag data code. There are items that have date codes one them that are date coded but they don’t follow into the 30 day rule. One that I can think of right off is the t-top storage bags.
Keep “any” original worn parts that were replaced with new parts.

Mikey, you're entitled to your own opinion but, I think with these C-3's it does add vaule to the automobile. ....You got a BB?

"Jeff"

Thanks for the acknowledgement about a dissenting opinion, that's something that not all members seem to be able to deal with (but we won't go there) :D

My '73 is an NOM small block, can't say that I ever had much ambition to have a BB, doubt I ever will. Personal choice.

I agree that a tank sticker would add value if it were the only way to prove that a given car was equipped with a rare or expensive option, but only to the extent of the value of that option and it's desirability.

There's just not many rare or expensive options on '73s that can only be 'proven' by a tank sticker.

'67 L88s or L89s, (or any pre-'72 BBs) were a different story..........

There's just not many rare or expensive options on '73s that can only be 'proven' by a tank sticker

Hey, I thought that 73's in general were rare and expensive :D

Actually there is one option- the YJ8 aluminum wheels. There was only four cars supposedly released with these wheels, each of which was promptly recalled. There is some dispute as to whether these wheels ever made it out the factory doors or not.

I guess if someone showed up with a car -with these unique wheels- and a tank sticker to match, I'd be impresssed.

Mikey, I wish I could sit down and talk with you. It appears you've been contributing with your knowledge to this forum for along time. I respect that.
I'm a retired firefighter and we bought this car as an investment. Maybe the kids will get it when I croak if I/we don't sell it. I lost money in the stock market after the I.T. boom years ago. GREED!!!!!!!!!!!! My doctor told me a few years ago to invest in a good muscle car. He assured me, "YOU WILL MAKE $$$$$$$$$$". WHOOYA! I've owned many, many corvettes in my life. One in particular is my first....... When I came back from Viet Nam I bought a MINT 68 10K miles 427/435 4sp conv with hardtop and every option they had at that time, with the money I saved while serving. A car similar to mine went for close to 1 million on BJ. Well, to make along story short, I cut off the front end,the back end, put on Greenwoods, traded the tri-prower Holley 2300's /manifold for a Binks spray gun, painted it metal flake and won 1st place at a Rod&Custom show. WOW! The throphy was put in the garbage in the 80's. I wish my pop would have hit me in the head with a bat and took the car away from me and stored it until I was 50. It's pay back time for me now, I guess. That's why I'm obsessed with my mint 73BB and want to know what color each screw is. If you get my drift. I'm not looking at NCRS yet but,If I can sell this car for 50K and make 30K then I'm going back to old school and get a 70-72 BB, slap some Hooker SP's on and a GMC Blower and go out and kill myself! LOL.

"Jeff"

I get your drift, we're on the same wavelength!

I promised myself years ago not sell any of my favourite 'toys' as I always regretted it afterwards. Look up Carlin's monologue about 'stuff', hits the nail on the head.

I get your drift, we're on the same wavelength!

I promised myself years ago not sell any of my favourite 'toys' as I always regretted it afterwards. Look up Carlin's monologue about 'stuff', hits the nail on the head.

I was at Carlin's show at SummerFest when he got yanked off the stage for the 7 words. How times have changed.

"Jeff"

why would you want to take the tank sticker off ? keeping it on will keep the car much more original. i had to replace my tank on my 73 so i took it off it was not easy to keep it in one piece with out taking the tank down you will probibly ruin it. who said a 73 corvettte is an investment read this http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/3000/guide2.html

Well all this is good if that is what you want in a car... For me I dont ever expect to make any money on my car, so I just drive it and enjoy the car to cruise nite or car shows & parades...

But everyone have their own expectations...

Interesting read on your '73s...

I have dreamed of finding some sort of documention on my car, but to this day have nothing! My car has been restored and the gas tank is new. The interior has been completely redone so the dash pad has been removed. The seats have been redone as well. These are all the areas I know to look.

My only next step to to contact all the previous seven owners to ask if they have anything on paper?

I would like to see anything that my car should have on paper. Not to increase the value of my car which I feel does increase with documention, but since I am determined to put the this beauty back to it original glory when it left the St. Louis plant. I would like to know that the hard work and lots of money that I am spending on her is in the right directiom that's all.

Thanks guys,

Read all the threads here Greek. I'm still not sure what to do with my 73 RE: the build sheet. I found mine by pulling up the boot around the gas cap. Thanks to people on this site I found it. If you have a new gas tank, IMO it's gone.
"Jeff"

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom