Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

78-82...A Stingray in the un-informed public eye?

Is the 78-82 Corvette a Stingray?

• Yes, it can proudly be included to that title.

Votes: 28 29.5%
  • No, that name is for the reserved to the fine 69-77 corvettes.

Votes: 52 54.7%
  • Well kinda...or maybe not. It's a Sting-shark!

Votes: 8 8.4%
  • Ask the Magic 8 ball. It knows all.

Votes: 7 7.4%

• Total voters
81kix said:
Ok.... My dog looks like a dog
My cat looks like a dog
So....
Should I eat my cat....Cat-Dog?
:confused :D

Yah, just go ahead and eat your cat or order some Chinese takee-outee! ;)

Woohoo! Another thread resurrection! hahaha... :L
(Thread Started: 6-28-03)

Evolution1980 said:
Woohoo! Another thread resurrection! hahaha... :L
(Thread Started: 6-28-03)

May I order one bowl of shark fin soup?

Now on the serious side why are some models called "sharks?" when a "sting Ray," is not a shark?

The entire C3 design was based on the "Mako Shark" design. Hence, all C3's are 'sharks'. Stingray/Sting Ray was just another term used, even though it's not a Shark. The only correlation I can make is "Mustang Cobra". Horse...Snake?

Pseudomind said:
But was there a Corvette actually badged with a shark emblem, OEM?
Nothing officially in production. GM maaay have done something as a one off, but I'm not aware of anything. No 'general production' cars had any type of visual 'shark' emblems or anything.

Some basic info on the Mako Shark concept

C3RVETTE said:
:confused :cry I think they want to hold on to whatever they have thats a little different from the have-nots.

Oh, well... I guess they will always have the anti-theft alarm switch on the fender!

;)

Ganey said:
Since 63, for 15 years (63-77) Corvette & Sting Ray were synonymous.
68 was not called 'Stingray' nor was a 77. Again, the 'shark' reference is to the 'Mako shark II' prototype. A C3 looks like more like a sting ray (the aquatic mammal) than a shark, or than a C2 does. I personally don't care who thinks my Corvette is less of a car because it doesn't say 'Stingray' on it, or that my Sportster DOES say AMF on it. I'm just glad they chose to name it after a battleship, than some of the other happy names given to cars like 'Aspire' (wannabe) or 'Protege' (underling) JUST MY OPINION.

Craig

craig32 said:
I'm just glad they chose to name it after a battleship, than some of the other happy names given to cars like 'Aspire' (wannabe) or 'Protege' (underling)
...or Nova ("No go") :L

I can kill a thread in a few words.So I guess this is it .Close the book on this one.

Privategod said:
The following is just one mans opinion.

Honestly, I don't have a problem with people calling '77-'82's Stingray's. Unless you are a purist, what is the big deal? When I am talking about my '76, I don't call it a "Stingray" or "Ray", it's my Vette or my Corvette. To me, "Stingray" is just a pretty emblem they put on the side of my Vette at the factory. As stated above, Stingray's didn't get higher HP, better handling equiptment, better interiors, or anything else.
If a '77-'82 Vette passes you at 100+mph, I don't think many people would care if it was badged a "ray" or not.
Every '63-'82 basicly shares the same chasis and suspension design.
The differences in interiors between '68-'82 stem from cutting production costs not improving the performance of car and driver.
And the rear window of the '78-'82 is more simular to the windows of the '63-'67 Sting Rays than those of '68-'76 & '77.
If you wanna get nit-picky, or you still have the OEM air in your tires, then by all means, set them straight. Just remember that these are people who are making comment (usually admiration) about something that you have put plenty of time, money, and/or "blood, sweat, and tears" into. Don't take it as a sign of disrespect if they call your '77-'82 a "ray". Be glad they took the time to show thier appretiation......but what do I know...;shrug

Well said! I agree. People call my 80 a "StringRay" all the time. I could care less...I mean, it kind-of looks like a Sting Ray. It's a sharky looking car. Any reference to swimming sharks or rays is pretty cool in my opinion. Just think of those ugly Mustang II's. Those were Pinto's with mustang emblems on them...

It's been over 3 years since I started this post...and was suprised to see it still around with some activity. Thanks for all your
comments, it's been great and a pleasure to read them! :)

New chapter to add to the story:
Went to San Fran area for a weekend get-away last month. While waiting for traffic to clear after getting fuel, two little boys about 5 and 10-ish, were walking along with dad and paused along the gas station's sidewalk. They all had eyes glued to the car while eating thier ice cream cones. The little one, all excited, yells out "Hey is that a STINGRAY!?!"

Pause a moment.

Then I remember my first Corvette I saw when I was a young'in...Oh What the heck!

"Yep she is's a Stingray. Stay in school and you'll get on too!"

I gave her a healty rev as I pulled out...and knowing that the seeds were planted for the next generation.

I've certainly been called worse................just don't call me the 4 letter F word..................Thats right........................:w Ford

I was watched the show American Muscle Car yesterday and they refered to all the 68-82 vettes as Stingrays. I'm sure that the people producing the show "Did/do their homework" before they pass on any information.

What exactly should I call my '76, since it has "Stingray" on the front fenders?

I know the "Last Sting Ray" was '67.

If the General didn't want us calling them "Stingrays", why in hell did he put it on the fender?

I don't know, but I was just looking at a nice red 1975 which had "Stingray " on the side of each front fender. The car was being listed as being in all original condition. So with that being said, what years are actually, "Stingray?"

I don't CARE!

I've just gone to Ecklers and have purchased 2 new Stingray badges which I will promptly and proudly attach to my 1980 C3 corvette.

The fact is for the C3's it is so arbitrary what a Stingray means anyway. There is no "performance" or "aesthetic" upgrade or anything. Just a lump of chrome which increased the sticker price of the car. If you do your homework on C3's you'll read that GM was very concerned with the ever increasing price of the smog/emissions equipment on these cars that anything was done to decrease price & weight.

So, my 1980 is a "Stingray." Because I say so!:w

You might be right about some of the weigth savings but I doubt a stingray emblem was one of them

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom