Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

78 Engine Numbers

captainfrank

Corvette
1978 Candy Apple Red T Top
I've been trying my best to confirm if the engine block in my 78 vette is an original. Bought 2 books that I thought would help but with no luck.

On the block there are 2 sets of numbers.

The first is in smaller letters "141451877" is followed by larger letters "K03 07 CMR".

The VIN specifies the L82 engine.

I found that the "CMR" is for a L82 engine.

Can anybody steer me to some place to confirm these codes?

Thanks.....

Captainfrank

The last digits of the VIN get stamped on the stamp pad located on the right front corner of the block. If these numbers agree, you have the original block.

Is that a Canadian car? It's got a Canadian engine.

Does the VIN end with 51877???

No it doesn't.

The VIN is 1Z87L8S426958

I think the "S" stands for St Louis.

I think the "K" in the Engine Number makes it a Canadian engine.

I don't know what I have.....

Captainfrank

...141451877...K03 07 CMR...

Sorry to bring bad news, but these are not Corvette numbers. Your engine has been replaced. The engine identification suffix CMR indicates an L-82 with manual transmission, but the K plant code ensures the engine is not Corvette. All Corvette small blocks were assembled at the Flint, Michigan, engine plant and are coded V. 0307 indicates the engine was assembled on March 7th.

VIN derivative 141451877 is also an incorrect format for Corvette and shows a consecutive unit number of 51877. Only 46766 '78 Corvettes were built, including Pace Cars.

Info from The Corvette Black Book.

:)

Sorry to bring bad news, but these are not Corvette numbers. Your engine has been replaced. The engine identification suffix CMR indicates an L-82 with manual transmission, but the K plant code ensures the engine is not Corvette. All Corvette small blocks were assembled at the Flint, Michigan, engine plant and are coded V. 0307 indicates the engine was assembled on March 7th.

VIN derivative 141451877 is also an incorrect format for Corvette and shows a consecutive unit number of 51877. Only 46766 '78 Corvettes were built, including Pace Cars.

Info from The Corvette Black Book.

:)
Thanks Mike......I was afraid of this.

Frank:confused

That engine was a 1974 350/145hp 2-barrel automatic, made at the McKinnon Industries engine plant in Canada (now the St. Catherine's engine plant), originally installed in a 1974 Chevelle built in the Oshawa, Ontario assembly plant.

:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom