Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'79 dash speakers

Corvette
1965 Coupe L76 / 1978 L82
Hi all

I'm usually in the C2 room but I'm helping a friend and fellow forum member, Andy, with his '79 Greenwood. In the middle of helping him with the carpet replacement I had to completely rewire the stereo system to fix where "bubba" has visited prior to Andy getting the car and screwed everything up.
So far so good on that repair BUT it looks as though the front right dash speaker is blown and needs to be replaced.
Anyone repalce their dash speakers in later C3's and can you tell me how you get to the speaker. It doesn't look as if the speaker grill comes off from the top so I'm afraid it may mean dropping the entire dash??
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

The speaker cover comes off from the top. Just "squeeze" the outboard side toward the middle of the dash, there are two plastic molded clips on each side. The cover will flex enough to allow the clips to clear ;)

Installation is ... well just the opposite proceedure ;)

The speakers themsleves should be bolted in at 4 points, unless someone changed them and couldn't get the front 2 back in.. take your time and it's a fairly easy straight forward job ;)

Bud

Thanks Bud, that's a huge help!!
it's good to know it will come out the top. I was seriously afraid they wouldn't. Do you know what size they are in there - 3.5", 4" or 4'x6" ?

Yep,
but I need to go out to the work shop to see for sure. I have a spare set, I got such a good deal on the ones I put in during the interior redo, I bought an extra pair.. be right back..

Bud

Rare81 said:
Yep,
but I need to go out to the work shop to see for sure. I have a spare set, I got such a good deal on the ones I put in during the interior redo, I bought an extra pair.. be right back..

Bud
Barry,

The speakers are 4" x 6"
I bought my at a Car Stereo Shop in Modesto. They were a discontinued dual speaker from Coustic Auto Design #HP46.4

Bud

Thanks Bud. i'll have Andy go out and get a set of 4x6' speakers to replace the front dash ones.

I know the Coustic brand. For inexpensive speakers they are actually half decent and they make an excellent electronic crossovers that are very inexpensive that kick butt and actually perform a lot better than many others that cost 2, 3, or 4 times the price.

Make sure the speakers are around 2 inches mounted depth. I was replacing the cracked speedo cover on my 1979 last week & could not screw it or the cluster in on the top. When I removed the cluster to inspect I found the previous owner had installed some speakers that were so deep they prevented the dash cluster from sitting in place properly. The old owner (Bubba I think) forced it in & cracked the speedo lens cover! I removed the speaker & measured it, 2 1/2 inches deep. Without the speaker in place the clusters sits in there perfectly. I ordered a new pair tonight at 1.9 inches deep.

rear speakers in '79

Hey guys, I've got a '79 that I'm sure all the speakers are shot. I usually just listen to the engine when I drive but I want to repalce all the speakers. Is the installation in the rear speakers as simple? And just off the top of your head does anyone know what size the rear speakers are?

Thanks,
Nate

PS Thanks for the info on the 2" debth up front, that will be helpful!

NAte...I'll measure mine today when I am working on the car.

Andy

nchase007 said:
Hey guys, I've got a '79 that I'm sure all the speakers are shot. I usually just listen to the engine when I drive but I want to repalce all the speakers. Is the installation in the rear speakers as simple? And just off the top of your head does anyone know what size the rear speakers are?

Thanks,
Nate

PS Thanks for the info on the 2" debth up front, that will be helpful!

Should those rear 6x9 speakers be within a certain debth also?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom