Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

79 Door Trim Rivet/Post R&R

M

MotuVette

There are 5 pot metal legs protruding through the door panel that are cast as part of the trim for the inside door handle latch pull. GM placed a washer over each post and peened/flattened them down to secure the trim to the panel. I pried off the washers and removed the trim. Although I was carefull not to shorten the legs there isn't enough material protruding to re-secure them onto my new panels as GM had done.

Any hints will be appreciated. :)

I think you need to get creative here. Get something substantial wrapped in a towel (4x4 post, 2x4 board etc) and put is on the outside of the door panel. Get a deep well socket mayb,e 3/8" or so and set it over the stud. Carefully tap on the stocket with a hammer unit enough of the stud pops out. You will need to get the speed washer clip from a dealer, upholstry, etc. to now put between the socket and the stud to get it started on. After that you should be able to get enough bite for it to hold.

My Procedure 2

I pried the washers from the top. Cleaned the studs so they were round again but careful not to shorten them at all.

Was able to use visegrips to clamp the trim on to the panel.
The real problem was that the trim had a very slight bend in it. Probably from years of pulling on the door handle during exit. That really worked against me. I knew I had a challenge when I saw how GM had installed this part so securely while the rest of that trim was simply stapled in place.

I used two different sized copper tubing cutters (cutting wheels removed) to clamp the trim in place through the door handle hole.
No wooden blocks required.

Speed nuts or push nuts were wacked on the studs with the socket as you suggested. Not certain what the nuts are called but they are similar to concave inside-out star washers. TrueValue .13 each. I'm comfortable they'll hold.

Actually did something similar with the rest of the door handle trim. Folding over the tin pieces was rediculous. Used small screws to secure it then a type of speed nut on the tin legs. The speed nuts on the tin legs was an after thought. If you saw my finished project you'd be comfortable that the trim will stay in place. Thanks for the response.

Wow, I just read my response to your post. I must have written that at 2:00 a.m. :eek , because there are enough typos to almost not make any sense. No use editing it now.

Glad you got it back together.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom