Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'79 Front Air Dam Replacement

Greekman

Corvette
'67 327/350-'73 LS4-'76 L48-'79 L82
Decided to replace my worn and broken front Air Dam on my '79. Ordered and recieved the new part. When I went to remove the eight lower bolts that are in the clips on the fiberglass lip all the bolts either broke or wouldn't move due to heavy rust! I ended up cutting the plastic thing off in order NOT to damage the fiberglass lip.

How should I go about removing these rusted bolts? This is not an area where there is a lot of room to work.

I have been told to either drill out the bolts with a drill bit or use a rotary hand tool and cut off the heads of the bolt and pry open the clips.

Any suggestions out there. Who has done this project before?

Thanks in advance for any help. Doesn't look like too major a deal, but just don't want to make it worst.

Also any ideas where a person might find new original looking bolts and clips?

Thanks...

greekman,
the four center bolts are clips. cut the bolt heads off and bend the clips to get them off the valance. the four outer bolts are screwed into brackets. they are 1/4 x 20 thread. you can drill these out and rethread to 1/4 or if you need to the braces are large enough to tap for 5/16 bolts. doc rebuild has the 12 piece mounting kit (bolts and clips).

mike

Is the front Air Dam the same thing as the lower Valence under the nose of the car?

vetteatv,
no the valance is the panel under the front end behind the bumper connecting the front fenders. the air dam, also referred to as the spoiler, attaches to the rear lip of the valance to help force air up into the radiator.

mike

Thanks for the info. Both these items are missing on my vette.

Thanks Again "Stinngray"

I finally got a new Dremel Tool and did cut off the bolt heads and then bent up the clips and then cut them in half. Difficult job with so little room to work under the front end of the Vette. I guess I could have put the car up on stands or something.

Picked up some mounting hardware at NAPA Auto Parts so everything went back on fine.

Later.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom