Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

79 w/electric choke

Phill

Corvette
1979 Blk L48
hi all. im doing some electrical work on my 79L48 and the previous owner spliced the choke wire to the BATT wire going to the distributor. is there any specfic place to connect the electric choke wire or is any constant 12 volt source good. the repair manual or wiring diagram doesnt show an electric choke carb.

It needs to go to a switches 12v source. If your came with an electric choke, there should be a wire in the harness on the drivers side fender (Blue on an 81)
If not, use the yellow wire on the windshield wiper motor.

A stock 79 should have a "Hot Air" Choke. The electric choke was added at some point or maybe a diiferent carb. I would definately find a different 12v source and that should be adequate.

hi all. im doing some electrical work on my 79L48 and the previous owner spliced the choke wire to the BATT wire going to the distributor. is there any specfic place to connect the electric choke wire or is any constant 12 volt source good. the repair manual or wiring diagram doesnt show an electric choke carb.

Like Sixfooter said, it should be a "switched" 12 volt source, but the "BAT" is often a switched source, so if your choke has been working and if after a while your battery is not weak or dead, then perhaps it really is a switched source.

With a multimeter, check for voltage at the wire when the switch is off, accessories, or on on the ignition switch mode, and that should clear things up.

hi jeff, the carb i believe isnt original as the repair manual and elect wiring diagram shows no electric choke. nice looking vette by the way.:)

hey sixfooter and gerry when you say a 'switched 12 volt source' do you mean no current when the ignition is off and 12 volts when the ignition is on the start or run position?

:w

Great. thanks for the help. guess i gotta getter done now.

the wipermotor harness is new and i dont really want to splice in to that. guess ill have to bust out the multimeter.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom