Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: 81 won't start

tcxd40

Corvette
(2) Black '93s, purple '81, '69 vintage racer
Ok I'm at wits end here.
The '81 has approx. 77K and sat in a barn for about 17 years. So when I got it home, via trailer it did not run. I changed everything that would normally be done. Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, module all new. Also checked the coil and pickup coil both tested good. New fuel pump, carb filter and rubber lines, tank and pickup cleaned, lines cleaned via compressed air. New starter was installed too.
It never ran too good when it did run, now it won't start or try to start. Have spark and fuel, good battery, just spins and maybe coughs once every revolution or two. When the plugs are pulled they are soaked and black.
Items not changed distributor, carb, and computer. A.I.R pump is gone.

What I'm I missing? Any suggestions from here on out?

Thanks
tcxd40

After 17 years, I would say the carb would need to be rebuilt. I assume you have confirmed that all your electric work is producing spark.

God bless, Sensei

Plugs firing fine. Accelerator pump apprears to be working, shoots fuel into the carb. Seems like it is starving for fuel, once you pull the plugs they are wet.

Can just replace parts but that's really no answer. Have replaced all that was confirmed bad. Any way to test the carb?

If you have spark and fuel it should fire. If the computer is down, or the carb's MC solenoid is non-functional it will cause the car to run very rich and foul the plugs quickly. Also, if the carb's fuel-tight integrity is compromised (porous casting, leaking well plugs, or far more likely, deteriorated gasket), un-metered fuel may be draining into the engine.

God bless, Sensei

The fouling and rich mixture is what appears to be happening. Bellows black smoke very where.

I will get the carb rebuilt this weekend and see if that works out.

I would not just go out and hand that carb to someone without first confirming it is the problem and second, confirming they know what they are doing (they will all tell how they rebuild these carburetors that were used on Corvettes for only one year almost 30 years ago all the time). After a commercial rebuilder get a hold of your E4ME, it may never be the same again. Like everything on your car, do it yourself or be very careful who you pay to work on it.

God bless, Sensei

EDIT: Have you checked for trouble codes?

No codes to find. I did have the carb rebuilt by someone I know. Getting it back tomorrow morning. I'll let you know how it works, or not....

If the car bellows black smoke and does not throw a code, that in itself tells us something. The CCC system is probably not functioning correctly. Do you get the self diagnostic code? (I think it is 12, it just says the system is working) Does the check engine light come on when you are starting the car? If not, the bulb is probably burnt out.

God bless, Sensei

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom