Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

84 Cooling Problems - An UPDATE

chevyaddict

Corvette
1990 Convertible
Thanks everyone for your wonderful info. It appears a lot of us are concerned about our vettes running hot.

I have flushed the system, refilled, and have not done any other modifications YET. So, today I did a test. I rolled up the windows, turned on the A/C and wanted to see how hot the sucker would get. Keep in mind today it is 107 degrees in sunny, hot Tucson.

84's apparently only had one fan, which SUCKS the big weinny. Without the air on, I can sit at an idle during a normal duration traffic light and watch the temp increase about 5 to 10 degrees. No overheating though so this is tolerable WITHOUT the A/C.

With the A/C on, FORGET IT. The temp skyrockets considerably. Now, when I am in motion everything is alright - unless I am traveling uphill and have the A/C on. It gets to 226 and I freak out and shut off the air.

So - I think I have decided to first get a second aftermarket fan to put in the front to help with the sitting still problem. Second, I think I am going to go with Eckler's heavy duty, three row radiator, and I am also going to add some of that additive to lower the temps 20 degrees. I am only doing all this so I can enjoy my air conditioning.

Now that I have typed all this, is there any way to tell if the air compressor is putting too harsh a load on the motor? Is there any easy test? I don't trust "garages" to tell me the truth and inevitably something else gets broken in the process of visiting those places so I would rather attempt to fix myself. Any suggestions would be great!!

Doesn't the temperature have to reach 230 before the main fan kicks in anyway? I know it's like that on my 86. When I'm idling in traffic with the AC on, my coolant temp quite easily reaches 230. Then the fan comes on, things drop down to about 205, the fan shuts off, and things start to heat again. Seems perfectly normal to me. Instead of getting a secondary fan (I did; it doesn't help when the AC's on) why not wire the primary fan to a manual switch, or get a chip that lowers the temp that the fan turns on at?
[RICHR]

Well, I have my fan wired to run all the time and let me tell you it doesn't do a bit of good. I have replaced the fan motor so I know that is not the problem. I have also searched for a possible aftermarket fan with better blades and they don't make them so..........

Mine does not cool off at all at an idle - only when I start moving again. :Roll

Well, Here is something to look into before you spend your money! Pull the top cover off the radiator -Ac condensor stack and take a look in there.............it's usuall chock full of trash! Leaves, potatio chip bags, Couple of mustangs! Pull the radiator and clean out the trash. Helps a lot

couldn't you early C-4 owners simply switch your single fan to the 90 up dual fans it would seem to me that this would be the best way to keep the car looking original, I have a set of these on my 82 and it cools the car down quite easily

mine works the same way

My 84 heats exactly the same way the fan doesnt even start till 230 degrees. The car runs fine and has good acceleration and the fan cools it right down to about 205. The factory thermostat doesn't even open till 190 I gues I dont see why you have a problem with this especially with 107 degree ambient.

Prior to taking off on vacation I flushed system and added the orange stuff to my 85. Big mistake!!!! It ran considerably hotter then it used to 230 -245. Finally when I got home the radiator gave up the ghost and blew out the bottom. So off to the parts store for a lifetime warranty 154.00 new radiator. Much to my surprise was the amount of junk that had collected between the rad and the a/c condenser. Leaves, rocks, sand, dead bird, aged hiway worker, couple cig butts and a partridge in a pear tree. I flushed the system and re added the green stuff then went for a test drive. Climbed to 195 rather quick then magically dropped to 175....hmmmmm turned on a/c and it rose to 185. Only when I start it does it go up to 195 then drop. Now she runs around 180-185. OAT is about 90 degrees with a/c on.

When My '87 blew its radiator, I found all kinds of stuff too... newspaper, plastic bags... the whole bottom half of the thing was full of garbage... Fortunately for the newer C4's (I am not sure when this started, but my 93 and 96 had it) there is an access hole at the top right of the radiator, enough space to allow you to look with a flashlight and get a hose in there to sort of power spray out the garbage.... I am not sure, but I bet one can be cut into the earlier C4's if you are interested... to help preven further troubles.

I wish the problem was debri between the condensor and the radiator but when we first bought the car we had pulled the radiator out because it was leaking; well the drain cock was leaking. So I know that is not the problem. The car runs great when the A/C isn't on. It is amazing how quickly it climbs when it is. I have flushed the system really good and I am going to try that additive and a second fan. It really only climbs when I am barely moving or at a standstill then it gets so hot that it can't cool back off enough between street lights.

I am also going to try to find a reputable shop (if that is possible) and see if they can test the A/C system to make sure it is functioning properly. It is possible it is not flowing well enough and causing undo stress on the motor. Will definitely keep you all updated!

Thanks for all the ideas and support!!

hmm

your water pump man,, don't ove rlook it
had the same exact problem with my 85

i had no leaks, no other signs of it being bad.
as soon as i fixed it everything was great
and my car never goes past 195 degrees
stays aroudn 185
i don't understand why everyone on this site says there cars run up to 230 degrees and stuff

my car is running hot righ tnow cuase the timing is way off,, thats wha ti think..

but before all this the car stays kewl big time 160 degree Term stat though. and my fan is always on, so maybe thats the reason, hehe... but check that water pump im not sure whats the thing is with it, but i think if the pump isnt' pumping very fast do to wearing it will pump slower which will acctually hold back water.. this is the only thing i can think of on why it fixed my heating problem. i even replaced my radiator it made no differance

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom