Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

85 Engine project: The break-in phase

I'm going to continue the rest of this conversation to "MY 85 ENGINE PROJECT " thread. Please post any replies there. Thanks

The engine is now had its initial cam breakin and is sounding awesome . The exhaust picked up a few decibels ,but sounds quite sane . It has a sports car sound that is disguising the real power. :) I'm working with TPIS to work out the bugs . High idle prob and a few other things. I will purchase the scanner and then be able to commincate to them whats going on. Cant drive it yet . The clutdh slave went kablooie :eek. The starer drags alittle when you start it . But, no leaks drips or runs so far. I gave it a good wax job . Poor baby had garage grunge on it. Hopefully soon to be on the road.

maxrevs85 said:
I'm going to continue the rest of this conversation to "MY 85 ENGINE PROJECT " thread. Please post any replies there. Thanks

You said it so I merged them. Ok with you Dave? ;)

At the rate it's going, your going to have yours running circles around mine before long. Any hopes that I solved my glitch vanished this morning as I encountered the dreaded Code 33 again. I already have been, and I'll be doing a lot more, talking with Terry and Jim at TPiS. :L

The things we go through in pursuit of "Giggles and Grins". :eyerole

_ken :w

Thanks Ken for the merge.:) Well Ken I hope I will be up and running soon. Besides the glitches , I have to pay some bills before I go back to spending more cash . So you'll have time to beat me to the punch. I realy can't wait untill you can give it a good run. I bet it will be a bit scary. I cant wait to rumble down thru town and listen to the pipes echo off the buildings on a Saturday night (small town , with lots of Rustangs) A guy that just moved to the nieborhood has a Stang. I heard it running one night , so I ventured down to meet the new guy. When I looked under the hood I saw a bunch of TrickFlow parts and big TB. Then , there was this ole supercharger,sitting there grinning at me out of its blue oval eye.I thought uhoh. Sooo I ran home and told the wife , hurry give me the checkbook,I need more power:L:L.......he said it shouod run in the 11's.....Thats ok I think I can whoopum.:D :blow

Well Chris, the list is pretty complete other then the scanner and fuel pressure gage . I'm sure there will be another list once I find out what is needed to make it run right.
On the previous page I mentioned some throttle adjust that was recomended by Jim at TPIS. I wanted to set the intial timing but, at 1700 rpms, I cant. Its at about 6* advance at that rpm. If I try to adjust it , it either idles higher or shuts down. Tha lowest Ive had it was 1000 rpm and it wont stay running long. I need to scan it to find out what is working and not working and find out what codes are being shown. The process of ilimination. Jim said they have a scanner that sells for $180 .
Oh yea ,there is another list . Wheels ,tires,richmond 6 sp, stereo, and the Corvette car seat for my Grandaughter...lol :cool

Dang , I cant view it . I dont have the hardware to view it. I bet it was realy cool . Kids are realy a blast in there early years. My Granddaughter is 1 1/2 and has beautiful long red hair. :D:D....thanks anyway Ken

Well, finally . I had the car out for the weekend for a few test drives and it runs awesome. It pulls thru 1st & 2nd like crazy and then just keeps on pulling. doesnt seems to want to quit . Every thing worked good . The tranny is tight and the OD works perfect. The new suspension is like driving a new car. Its a little twitchy in the corners but, I need to get it all alighned. I still have a bit of a high idle problem . I should be recieving my scanner and fuel pressure gage today. The fine tuning will then get underway. So far so good. oh yea , the throttle response is amazing. The engine revs up quick. Its been a long haul but well worth it:)

More details to come on some of the specifics that might be of interest. But for now, gotta head off to work.

:upthumbs

Puts a big old grin on your face.....doesn't it:D

You have come a long way in a few months. Almost there!

Recieved my scanner today and did a scan. I havent a clue on what is says. :duh

idle air motor pos 21 steps. I believe its the amount open
coolant temp 203
tps .62
integrator 122
ox senser 800 mVolts
man air temp 122
engine speed 1650
engine load 25
block learn 108
O2 cross counts 7
MAS gr/sec 14
injector pulse 1.2
proportional O2 , step lean
rich lean Fla g, rich
closed loop

Anyone ? Please??

Someone will fill in the information for your Dave, the only one I can tell you is the one you already got - the number for the IAC is showing the amount open. ;)

Congrats! :upthumbs

Ive taken the time to read the manual that came with the scanner and it has a very complete glossary of all the terms used in the computor in the car. Its pretty interesting and helps a ton. Its tells the peramiters of all settings and explains what they mean. Just have to put it all together to figure out where you go and what to change. The block learn is a big deal . The idle problem is still a mystery and I will relay the info to TPIS, (JIM). Fun fun fun.:eyerole. Gee maybe when i get done I will be able to answer some questions for you Ken. :L

Hey, we're always learning something, eh? We just hope it's a good leason to be learned. ;)

And, as we get older, remembering that lesson! :L

[size=-2]Hey Dave, do you want me to change the title to this thread now that the engine project is no longer a "begins" project, but more of a "completion of the project".? I could simply remove the "begins" part if you wish.[/size]

Yes Ken , go for it. Completion sounds good . I will try to share what I learn if at all possible. Remembering , now thats a tuffy.:L

Howzat for a title Dave -- "The break-in phase." :cool

Maybe someday mine too will get to the "break-in phase". :L

#1, you will have a stinky rich idle with the combo you are running. You will for the most part have to get use to that, and all you can really do is turn the fuel pressure down, and turn the tps down to minimum at idle.

#2, You need to set your timing to the peak performance mode. Now that you have a scanner it is fairly easy. You need a co-pilot.

Fire up the car and get it to running temp. Bring your distributor wrench with you. Go out and run the car hard holding at load as long as possible. Watch the knock retard value on the scanner. You want to keep adjusting the timing to where you get just a tad of retard at WOT under a hard load. This is with premium fuel. This is how you know the max you can run. Anything lower is not enough timing, and anything higher will result in a loss of power as the knock retard is kicking in.

#3. To set the fuel pressure, get your co-pilot again. Get it warmed up, and go thrash the car hard. Watch under WOT for the O2 voltage to be at 860. More than 860 and you are too rich, less than that and you are lean. As you guessed it, this could change your timing setting, so you may be doing both at the same time. You will give more fuel pressure if WOT runs are netting less than 860 mv, and turn it down if WOT runs are netting more. In my 90 vette, the best I can do is right at 900 mv, and that is with stock injectors and a stock chip.

#4, try to have fun with it, and accept the fact it will never again have the smooth clean burning trouble free characteristics of a nice stock L98. You now have a mix match of parts and technology and they don't always work together at all time.

#5, Watch your TPS voltage, and for max performance, try to adjust it to reflect as close to 5 volts as possible at WOT. This will have to be balanced against your idle value that should not exceed .65 volts to keep it from getting tooo rich.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom