Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

87 C4 Coupe - Read Window Cargo - Black Shade removal

Ed,

I looked at my 88 storage compartment tonight when I got home and it looks pretty much like yours except for the battery. I don't remember the last time I looked in there, probably right after I got it 13 years ago. Anyway looking at the schematics all the wires running through there are for the anti-lock brakes. And if it was me, I'd just cut the battery wires and pull it out. Doesn't appear to be hooked to anything anyway.

And I didn't know that 87s had anti-lock brakes either. One thing that CAC has is an excellent reference for each year that will probably answer some of your questions concerning what your car has. You can also check the RPO codes which on mine are under the console lid and then cross-reference them against the RPO codes here on CAC. Also if you really want to find out what your car has, the National Corvette Museum can print you the window sticker and build sheet.

Finally Mid America Design and other Corvette part houses make replacement consoles if you want to replace yours with the hole in it. You might also check some of the Corvette salvage places for the console and other part you will probably need as you get deeper into your project.

Good luck.

Ron
"Baldie88"

Hi Ron, yes, I'll want that battery removed since it is serving no purpose. I just don't like snapping wires I am unfamiliar with. And there are a bunch down there. This weekend I will first try to trace where they lead to. I'll like to find the main source of that security system and remove it too. And believe me, I am not having a hard time finding any parts for my C4... it's the prices for some things. What I've seen, those replacement consoles are nearly $200. I was hoping to find a cheap used one on ebay, but nothing so far. Don't care about the color now that I know that the vinyl paint (dye) from Autozone works great! I'll keep looking around. I'm not ready to tackle that removal yet anyway. I have too many things planned and don't want to get ahead of myself.

Darby, does your car have an aftermarket alarm? If so, that may be the answer with the second battery. They may have put that one in to power the alarm. In case thieves cut the regular battery off it would still be active. Rather than cut those wires just disconnect them for the time being.

OK, I missed the post about the alarm...so I'm a little behind.............;LOL

OK, I missed the post about the alarm...so I'm a little behind.............;LOL

That quite alright Tom... but yes, I plan to unplugged all those wires first and make sure it doesn't effect anything electrical that I can troubleshoot. But I also want to find the source of that thing. Hopefully it isn't stuck somewhere up into the dash, cause I would really hate to tackle removing that.

I got my new carpet for the rear cargo area last night and it came with carpet liner (to my surprise). I thought it would be just the carpet. I ordered it from stockinteriors.com. They were the cheapest that I could find and they were very pleasant and prompt on all my questions before I ordered. I will definately order from them on my front carpets (once I get the funds together). So I get to have lots of fun this weekend putting all that in the back (to include new speakers -- thank you Ron!)... with no AC in my garage and the tempature clipping around 80 and sometimes 90... fun fun fun! But it sure is going to look schweet once it's installed. Thanks everyone for your help!

I wish it was only in the 80's and 90's here. :D It was 110 Monday and Tuesday......but to be fair, we don't have the humidity you guys have.

Post up some pictures of your project, it might help someone else as they face the same things you are. :w

Well Darby, I've received two (2) messages, with regard to you. One has past knowledge of you, from elsewhere. Based on their experience, of you and, advice. I shall waste no more time on you or this matter...:w

Last edited:
DarbyOhara,

That battery could be LOJACK!!. I have it on my 96 polo green LT4, Im not even sure it works anymore but thats where
it is located on my car.

Well Darby, I've received two (2) messages, with regard to you. One has past knowledge of you, from elsewhere. Based on their experience, of you and, advice. I shall waste no more time on you or this matter...:w

You are really becoming a nuisance and goodbye! And this is the only forum I am registered on, so your PM friends just might be wrong! However, I've had this username for many years and have virtually travel'd high and low on this Internet over the many years; so to be honest, I have encountered all kinds of species (good and bad) and it is quite possible some bad could be lurking anywhere.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom