Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'90 ZR1 For Sale, comments?

• Thread starter Thread starter MagikDraggin
  • Start date Start date
Legit. Jim Van Dorn is the seller (owner/opperator of Automasters)

Good car for somebody who wants one cheap. Has coilovers as well.

I purchased it.

I have purchased this car.

Price was the low teens.

Save The Wave!

Congrats on adding to the collection!

:D

00521 said:
I have purchased this car.

Price was the low teens.

Save The Wave!

Untoward Comments

Jeffvette said:
Congrats on participating in the circumvention of ebay and p*ssing off several other people who were bidding on the car.

Actually, I was one of those people who was ****ed off as I was waiting to bid also.

But, instead of just being bitter, counter-productive, and griping, I took matters into my own hands, made a PHONE CALL, put my money where my mouth is and drove a few hundred miles r/t and did the deal.

The ZR-1 is a piece of technology that should never have happened within GM's factory mindset.

The ZR-1 was built against all odds.

That's the AMERICAN WAY.

Let's be pro-active and positive, not negative.

Btw

Jeffvette said:
Congrats on participating in the circumvention of ebay and p*ssing off several other people who were bidding on the car.

BTW, I did NOT kill the auction.

I waited to bid and was upset when it was killed with 3 minutes to go.
20 minutes after it was stopped, I made the phone call.

The auction was stopped by JVD after the actual owner of the car ordered him to (because of abnormally low bids).

JVD was only doing what the owner of the caar requested.

Ironically, the price asked was the price I was willing to pay on the spot in cash.

Whether or not you like what the owner did in asking JVD to stop the auction (and that was funky), remember, you always have the option of BIDDING HIGH, if you are seriously interested in an item.

I have over 700 AAA+++ positive transactions on eB and have never myself stopped an auction.

You owe me a serious apology.

Again, a positive mindset produces positive results and also colors that way we see others and the world...

Zora Lives!

Jeffvette said:
You need to go back and read this. http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-circumventing.html

You may or may not have been the high bidder had the auction finished the last 3 minutes.

I don't owe you squat.

No, You owe YOURSELF and the FORUM an apology.

have some SELF_RESPECT and respect for others.

Again, a positive mindset produces positive results and also colors that way we see others and the world...

Zora Lives!

That car was up for sale on eBay a while back and the auction was canceled the same way. If the seller has a minimum price he will accept then he should place a reserve on the item. :r Oh well I have my own issues with eBay’s policing of its members but I still buy and sell there…nobody is perfect.:(

Regardless of how the car was purchased, Congratulations!! This is exactly the ZR1 that I spent a year looking for before I started pouring time and money into the 90.

Next year I will be back in the USA several times…if a deal like yours comes up on another ZR1 like yours while I am there I promise I will take whatever action is necessary to put the King on a boat and send him to Europe.;)

Congrats 00521!

Congrats on your purchase of The King and welcome to Corvette Action Center.
I would like to commend you for keeping your cool under undeserved fire. It appears to me that the auction was not allowed to continue through no action of 00521 at all. Anything that happened after the auction was pulled,by its' own originators, is fair game, in my book. Congrats on your purchase.
Jeffvette...:(...PM coming your way.
Heidi

Wow, heated topic here!

I too, was waiting until the final minutes to bid. I've previously bought a vehicle from JVD and my expectations were exceeded when I picked up the car.

HOWEVER, I don't believe any apologies are owed. Jeffvette seems to feel the same way that I do. I wouldn't have purchased that car on principle after the stunt that was pulled. I emailed him as well to find out what was going on, then he tells me he's doing his offline auction. Since I rearranged my entire day to bid on the first auction, I was ****ed off, and decided to drop the entire matter.

I don't mind people closing auctions to do their own thing, so long as they close it before people start changing their schedules to do it. This usually means that if you want to close an auction, pull it at least 24 hours prior to close.

I know they got more than they thought they would on the car. I know because I know you paid more than I could have purchased it for. But that's another story. That being said, they would likely have pulled what they wanted from letting the auction run, and it would have been much more ethical. Auctions such as this often draw last minute bids. In the minute before it was closed, it had already jumped $500. With 3 minutes left, it would likely have gone another $1-2k. So maybe he got more than that. . .I don't know. But it put a very bad taste in my mouth for the way he does business...

And by the way, I have taken losses on things I put on eBay, just because I felt it too unethical to pull the auction. I've sold countless items at one penny, some of them worth close to a hundred bucks. WHy? Because I started the auction with a low bid, no reserve, and let it run. On the flip side, I've put items up for a penny that were worth $10 and sold them for a hundred bucks. It all balances out.

I wish to thank everyone on the forum for being so supportive.

(Years ago, I was a member of the old ZR-1 net, before it's redesign by 'MOM').

Yesterday, we had a death (expected, after long illness) in the immediate family, and in retrospect, I normally would not have responded to a flame.

Late last month, I had just sent off all the parts for a 434 aluminum Dart sbc buildup on my other C-4 (raised cam block, Pontiac '867' IROC heads, Moldex crank, Carrillo rods, JEs, Belanger headers, etc.) when the price of gas actually hit $3 a gallon at 2 gas stations down here (!) ...then the LT-5 came up for sale.

After some thought I realized that the ZR-1 engineering team had already worked out all these kinks and was the 'platform' to pursue. I pulled out my old dog earred copy of "The Heart of the Beast" and was amazed at what I had forgotten and obviously stiill have to learn.

The LT-5 block and cam arrrangement is a sophisticated challenge, but more efficient.

Now, I plan to go with a 'Snake Skinner' buildup down the road as that is both California emissions legal as well as fuel efficient and all of the dfi problems have been taken care of by GM.

As a technical 'tour de force', the LT-5 is head and shoulders above any other rpo that the General has produced in recent years.

It is a heart felt honor to finally join all the other LT-5 owners on this forum.

SPANISHVETTS said:
If the seller has a minimum price he will accept then he should place a reserve on the item.

I couldn't agree more, SPANISHVETTS. That's the whole idea behind a reserve-price auction. If you don't want to let something go unless it gets to a certain amount-- HELLO!!-- put a freakin' reserve on it. To me, when someone starts an auction below the amount they want and NR it, they're taking a chance, but also potentially attracting more bidders who hope to score a deal (when they see there's no reserve). If you intend to cancel the auction late in the game if the price hasn't reached what you want, you shouldn't be doing a NR auction in the first place!

That said, congratulations from me, too, 00521. It sounds to me like you had no control over the ending of the auction, and were only trying to pursue the car after it had vaporized off of the eBay auction block. I hope your intended mods leave you with an even "beastlier" beast. :)

Enjoy!
Fred

P.S. What in the world is "00521"? :D

fhturner said:
I
That said, congratulations from me, too, 00521. It sounds to me like you had no control over the ending of the auction, and were only trying to pursue the car after it had vaporized off of the eBay auction block. I hope your intended mods leave you with an even "beastlier" beast. :)

Enjoy!
Fred

P.S. What in the world is "00521"? :D
Enjoy :v :beer

Rob said:
Jeff,

What is your issue?
I think he was just pointing to the site that shows that eBay users are "prohibited" from buying merchandise that had been pulled from auction. It obviously can't be policed, but it's a valid point.

I wouldn't have bought it based on principles of fairness and equality. That said, congrats to the new owner. Looks like a nice vehicle and you were close enough to have it be a "better" deal than some of the rest of us...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom