Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

93 LT1 Top speed

My LT4 hits the redline in 5th gear, showing 174mph indicated. I know Car and Driver showed 168 for the LT4 with a radar gun. 6th gear is too weak to max the speed out.

Maxed out, the engine is making a freakin racket and all the wind you push off the front of the car physically moves cars in the lane next to you about 5 feet...its pretty cool. The car feels extremely well planted when you are on/off the gas at that speed but the handling feels floaty like an old Caprice if you lightly hit the brakes, which I have noticed at speeds above 120 mph. If you brake hard or take turns hard it handles great. Its the light actions that make it ride strange.

Maxed out it was making about 7mpg, so I usually don't run that fast for very long.

Mike

Still a scary thought of moving the cars in the next lane. I wonder what the reaction is inside of those cars? :L

_ken :w

Ken said:
Still a scary thought of moving the cars in the next lane. I wonder what the reaction is inside of those cars? :L

Many years ago I was coming home from work on the Interstate. I was doing about 75mph (at least). In my side view mirror I see a car coming up on me like a bat out of he!!. As it passed me I noticed the spoiler on the back. Looked like a Turbo Carrera. I'd say he had to be up around 150mph. That remark is true. The air coming off his car shoved my car over. Literally almost sideways slide. Way more intense than being passed by a tractor trailer.

Graham

Ken said:

I'm willing to bet it was quite a show! The engine sounded way cool inside the car at 6,000 rpm, which must have sounded even better to passerbys. The Vette is probably pushing more air than a Porsche and the cars are lighter too over here, so those cars are getting buffeted pretty good.

It brings a smile to your face! ha, ha!
Mike

Thanks Mike, for giving us that vicarious pleasure of what it must be like, driving at that speed. :upthumbs

My vicarious days are numbered since I am coming back to the states this summer.

There isn't a good reason we shouldn't be able to drive as fast as we want in the states. The roads are slightly better in germany, but pretty much the same as the states. I can understand speed limits near the cities and congestion, but out in the countryside, especially in the west where the road is straight forever and there is nothing else out there, you should be able to move.

A lot of germans drive little tin cans about 100 mph all the time...the majority of american cars are a lot better than theirs. Its truly a waste.

Mike

Schnell said:
...especially in the west where the road is straight forever and there is nothing else out there, you should be able to move.

Do you mean in areas like this: :J
NV_roadsidebreakdown2_small.jpg

Um, yeah something like that.

(Nice shot! Where's it at?)

ken...trust me you will NEVER see this shot in Germany, or Europe for that matter. Man.....and to think, the speed limit's probably 70, max:(

I thought there was a book written about bringing an autobahn system of freeways interconnecting the cities in the US. Any idea who wrote it or what its called?

Mike

What, you mean its not going to happen in the land of safety?

Schnell said:
Um, yeah something like that.

(Nice shot! Where's it at?)

Four miles west of the Utah - Nevada state line on US Highway 50- "The Lonliest Road In America." Near "Area 51" sorta. :L

LT1 TOP SPEEDSSSSS

Ok gents this is a hell of a subject because we all have different vettes. In 1986 the vette was for 150+, The LT1 in 1992 came for up to 170. You may do more or less...wind factor may push/help you or slow you down. My 92 convertible, auto with 2:53 axle...2 years ago 4 mustangs were racing down route 163 south in San diego, I was not going to tolerate that, I passed all of them 4,3,2,1 and I noticed they were not getting closed to me I looked and I was doing 162, AC on, Metallica on the radio and the top was up. Right now my vette has 182,000 miles on it and I can push it up to 130+
C4s are just fast. I do confess the L98 has the best torque of all!!!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom