Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'95 C-4 Steering Problem

T

tvalley641

My low-mileage vette (15K mi) makes a slight snapping or cracking sound (and feel) when rotating steering wheel a few degrees left or right. It only makes this noise once in either direction. I suspect a "give" in the intermediate shaft joint, but not certain. I do not notice noise when outside temp is above 80 degrees F, or so. Found reference to Serv Bulletin 56-3202A describing Steering Column "Snap/Click" but I can not locate details.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Ted Valley, Ohio

Welcome to The Corvette Action Center Community ~

Ted,

At the top of the screen you will see "Tech Center" if you click on it then arrow down until you see "Recall Notices & Service Bulletins" you'll find some information there. The GM source bulletins can be ordered from there also.

Good Luck with your '95 and nice to have you aboard :w

Thanks Racer and Rare!

I was able to locate info on #56-32-02B "Interm. Steer. Col. Snap or Clink Noise When Turn." I found it at www.geocities.com/crackeregg/56-32-02B.html. Unfortunately, it does not quite describe my problem. Mine is a one time "snap", only once, in either direction. I'm going to look at the intermediate shaft coupling at the input to the rack. May have a small amount of play. I looked at the upper coupling, but could not really find anything out of order there. I can't believe I've got some kind of wear at 15K. :-(

Thank you for your thoughts anyway. If others on this site have experienced this problem I will be eternally greatful if you will share suggestions with me.

Ted Valley

Check this out

Open hood, have somebody in car, you look under hood, they turn wheel, watch the upper& lower control arms & bushings ( or where the alignment shims go ) or the rack area.. or the connecting rod points, wheel bearings and last Ball joints......
These are all the places where mechanical play can make that noise.

Have them turn the wheel lock to lock ( engine running) I'll bet you can narrow it down this way.

Did you buy the car NEW? What's it's history?

Mike

<<Did you buy the car NEW? What's it's history?>>

Thanks for the suggestions, Mike. I'm going to try all of that this weekend. I know the history pretty well. My neighbor across the street lost his pilots and drivers licence due to epilepsy 2 years ago. I bought the car from him last August. He was the second owner. The first one lived but a few miles from the Bowling Green assembly plant. He was a pilot too. Bother respected high performance machines (as you might guess) so I think it was well cared for. I know the chassis was lubed every 5,000 for example. It stayed mostly parked inside for the 2-3 years he owned it. He made a few trips from Ohio to Tennessee to pick up his aircraft for out of country flights. I have all papers, orig. sticker, and maintenance schedule. I've been over the car with a fine tooth comb. No hits that I can detect. I just noticed the click after the temp here in Ohio dropped down into the 60's and below. I'm going to take it in to the local vette guru at our Chevy dealership. I've heard he is good. I'll let him give me a diagnosis and then I'll probably do the work myself. There's not a whole lot I can't do to a car. It's just that I haven't had much time to really get in to it. I'm still a little shy about the beast....fiberglass, alum and all!

Funny thing though; at speed, over about 25 mph, I can only make the thing click if I jerk the wheel very fast from side to side. I swear, it feels like it is in the shaft somewhere. I've had rack and tie-rod, etc. problems before but that feeling seems more muffled that this. I'll let you know what I find out..... and I WILL find the problem. ;-)

I tried to attach a .jpg of it, but system said it exceeded 50K bytes. How can one get a smaller file from a simple picture?

Ted Valley

<<Did you buy the car NEW? What's it's history?>>

Thanks for the suggestions, Mike. I'm going to try all of that this weekend. I know the history pretty well. My neighbor across the street lost his pilots and drivers licence due to epilepsy 2 years ago. I bought the car from him last August. He was the second owner. The first one lived but a few miles from the Bowling Green assembly plant. He was a pilot too. Bother respected high performance machines (as you might guess) so I think it was well cared for. I know the chassis was lubed every 5,000 for example. It stayed mostly parked inside for the 2-3 years he owned it. He made a few trips from Ohio to Tennessee to pick up his aircraft for out of country flights. I have all papers, orig. sticker, and maintenance schedule. I've been over the car with a fine tooth comb. No hits that I can detect. I just noticed the click after the temp here in Ohio dropped down into the 60's and below. I'm going to take it in to the local vette guru at our Chevy dealership. I've heard he is good. I'll let him give me a diagnosis and then I'll probably do the work myself. There's not a whole lot I can't do to a car. It's just that

Funny thing though; at speed, over about 25 mph, I can only make the thing click if I jerk the wheel very fast from side to side. I swear, it feels like it is in the shaft somewhere. I've had rack and tie-rod, etc. problems before but that feeling seems more muffled that this. I'll let you know what I find out..... and I WILL find the problem. ;-)

Here is a picture. It is my first.

Ted Valley

Click.....

How much play is in the steering wheel?
Check with engine off ( key on )
and can you make the click by turing the wheel just past the play points?

The cold might be a clue.. but that's usually bushings.. and a squeek.

A CLUNK would be a larger part of the suspension.

Mike

Mike,

I've goofed the last 2 time trying to send a pic of the '95 we're discussing (head-slap!). I've got it this time.

Ted Valley

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom