Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

A/C O-ring question; 85; making me nuts!

3dale1

Corvette
65 convertible L-76
Hopefully a simple one, guys....

I replaced the drier this weekend, and am recharging the system. Have lost 3 cans of 134 due to a major leak out of the hose/pipe fitting coming out of the drier going toward the firewall. Fitting on the drier is tight, not cross threaded, and doesn't appear to be cracked or kinked.:W

My question is this: Does that end of the pipe use an o-ring as it screws into the drier, or is it just flared? I have tried an o-ring which came in a little bag with the drier, which seems to be the right fit, and have also tried it without the o-ring, leaks equally bad both ways. I see that the other end (the one with the big platic nut) uses an o-ring. Hate to keep buying cans of 134 at $8 each till I know what is going on. :W :W :W

TIA, Joe

3dale1 said:
Hopefully a simple one, guys....

I replaced the drier this weekend, and am recharging the system. Have lost 3 cans of 134 due to a major leak out of the hose/pipe fitting coming out of the drier going toward the firewall. Fitting on the drier is tight, not cross threaded, and doesn't appear to be cracked or kinked.:W

My question is this: Does that end of the pipe use an o-ring as it screws into the drier, or is it just flared? I have tried an o-ring which came in a little bag with the drier, which seems to be the right fit, and have also tried it without the o-ring, leaks equally bad both ways. I see that the other end (the one with the big platic nut) uses an o-ring. Hate to keep buying cans of 134 at $8 each till I know what is going on. :W :W :W

TIA, Joe

There are "O" rings on all fittings. Also you have to have the system evacuated prior to charging system. R-134 is not the correct refrigerent. R-12 is the correct fill.

Thanks redvett. If that end takes an o-ring, I'll have to investigate the pipe itself further.
Unfortunately, I did not pay attention to the fitting on the drier when I unscrewed it and didn't see if it still had the o-ring on the pipe or not.:confused Compressor siezed up last fall, and since the new one came w/o oil and the system discharged, I am converting to 134.

You really have to squeeze the two wrenches together really hard on both fittings in order to get the o-ring to seal. And remember to lubricate them in whatever oil you're using before you install the o-ring.

tyrel said:
You really have to squeeze the two wrenches together really hard on both fittings in order to get the o-ring to seal. And remember to lubricate them in whatever oil you're using before you install the o-ring.
Tyrel, you're right. I finally got that end to seal; I was worried about cranking it down so hard that I'd ruin the aluminum threads on the drier or the fitting, but thats what I did, and now all is good.:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom