Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Accident Story: Need new hood and bumper

JohnnyC

Corvette
1996 Black Coupe - LT4
So i rear ended this huge pick up truck this morning on my way to work.... the police had stopped for another accident at that same spot. They stopped very close to the on-ramp to the highway... But i didnt see this til later.

This ramp goes up to the highway and then turns left. Very difficult to see since they changed this on-ramp. I looked to my left to see if any cars were coming, and with the sun glare and not being able to see around this huge pick up truck it wasnt easy... I dont see anyone, so i continued to move in to the center lane (a bus just went into highway no problem just before us).

I looked in front of me and saw this pick up truck stopped right in front of me! I was already +25-30 ready to merge on the highway. I swerve to the left and I hit the trucks bumper. It rips out a major chunk of my passenger side vender, just above the wheel and destroys the head light area. The wheel well is actually enacted (just the top part was ripped off).

I'm able to drive away. Nothing mechanical looks damaged, radiator, wheel, etc. It was a glancing blow, I went under his bumper.

Police are stupid not to have anyone with flares or directing traffic there. (just after my accident, the officer called up and they closed that ramp!!!). Tells you how dangerous it was to them to do that to prevent another accident.

So I need a new hood, one right head light, turn signal light, probably new front bumper (have to check more closely), might be able to get away with the current one.

Can anyone give me some sympathy and make me feel better.... and then to pour salt in the wound, a rough estimate of the cost. I do have insurance, so "hopefully" everything should be ok.

John :mad

Cost

Lets see you will have to pay the deductible. Plus your insurance will pay any damage to the other vehicle. So far you are only out a few hundred dollars. But the next time you see your premium you will see an increase in your premium. They recover the money somehow. So for the next 3 years or so you will be paying installments on what the insurance company paid out and have it on your record. If I were you I would get a good estimate and see if it would be better to have the work done out of pocket. Oh and usually they assess the preimum increase to all your vehicles they insure. After having said that if only the car was hurt and no people then you were very lucky all around. Sometimes a good driver is the victum of a bad drivers mistake. :J

Some pics of the damage.

Estimate for Corvette new hood, bumper, lights was $2,800.

Estimate for scratches, damage to bumper to pick-up is $2,000.

Advice needed: I honestly dont have nearly $2,000 to fork over to this guy(but could borrow), but should i pay out of pocket for his repairs or go through insurance company on this one. I am going to call insurance to see what my rates will be like over next 3-5 years now.

I just want this to be over. And i have to go to court in Jan to plead my case infront of the judge. And deal with that DMV mess. I guess it could have been worse.

John :cry

John,
I feel for you. My car was badly damaged about 2 months ago. Sort of my own fault. I left it unattended in a parking lot and it was vandalized for $4400 worth of damage. I wasn't happy with myself either. Like you, it was just one of those things you don't see coming. However, the interesting thing is I just received my insurance renewal and it didn't go up, so there's hope.
But Maybe you can find a repair shop that will work with you on getting another hood. Maybe when the insurance company cuts you the check you can work a deal to possibly upgrade to a hi-rise hood or something. It's worth a shot.
Let us know how it turns out.

87blackroxi said:
John,
I feel for you.
Let us know how it turns out.

Ditto...

This one hits a little closer to home for me since our cars are identical. I'm fightin' the Phx traffic everyday in my car. SUCKS!

Coulda been alot worse. Hopefully you can turn a bad situation into a good one.

Take care,
Jeff :w

You know the old saying, "you can pay me now or pay me later."

If you don't have the cash to fix it yourself, turn it over to the insurance and pay for it through your monthly premiums.

Car insurance in like a loan program, you're gonna pay either way.

Rule 1 is have it fixed by a CORVETTE shop and not any body shop. You have the right to choose which shop does the repair, dont let them tell you otherwise. I paint Corvettes now that i'm retired and can tell you there is a lot more that goes into the repair and paint than most of the run of the mill body shops can do. You might as well get it repaired right and nice the first time. Remember you only have to pay the deductable, and let your insurance handle the other guys claim, thats why you have insurance.He can still make a claim to your insurance company no matter what agreement the two of you reach. I've seen it happen time and again though my 24 years as a sergeant in Traffic Homicide with the Baltimore County Police. It's now good to be retired.

1st--YOU are ok.
2nd--You have insurance.
3rd-- Find yourself a reputable Vette shop and get a quote. DO NOT let your claims adjuster lowball the repair estimate. Better still, have the insurance adjuster and the Vette shop owner meet at your car there at the Vette shop. This damage can be repaired flawlessly. I've been where you are right now and my Vette had damage to the same side only much, much worse. I know you're heart sick, but this too will pass. It just takes time--really.

Thanks everyone. I am going through insurance company for his claim too. Thats just too much for me to write out a check. Plus, thats what my insurance company is for as a few pointed out.

Thankfully, I'm ok(and the other guy) and the Corvette is drivable and repairable. I think it would hurt so much more if it was totalled, or needed major engine work, etc. But its only really a new hood, bumper, and headlight things.

I have been talking to a corvette body/paint guy just over the boarded in PA (from NJ). Got highly recommended by the corvette mechanic i'm been dealing with. He did a 1950's Porsche valued at $500,000. I figured that is good enough for me. Maybe he could hook me up and find a used black hood or bumper for cheap, i should check ebay or junkyards. I'm sure black's a common enough color, no need to even paint it.

I'll let everyone know how it turns out. Hopefully, it will all be fixed before Christmas/New Years.

John

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom