Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Additional oil filter capacity

Evolution1980

Administrator
Corvette
ZZ4, 700R4, Steeroids rack & pinion, VB&P Brakes
Was wondering if anyone else has switched up their oil filter to the higher capacity equivalent?
(I use all Mobil-1 oil & filters in my car)
I was kicking around in their website just looking for the sake of looking and I found what seem to be identical filters except that one is a higher capacity (re: more filter surface).
I was originally using the M1-111 since that's the direct cross for the recommended Delco filter, but have since switched to the M1-302. Since the filter hangs vertical off the block, I have no issues with clearance.

oil-filter.jpg

And WalMart is still the cheapest I've found when it comes to the buying 5qt bottle of oil. None of the auto parts stores seem to come close when you can only buy individual quarts.

What problem are you attempting to cure? If the answer is none, there's little reason to switch other than it might make you happier. The car couldn't care less. :thumb

What problem are you attempting to cure? If the answer is none, there's little reason to switch other than it might make you happier. The car couldn't care less. :thumb
More filter surface means more usable area to trap particulates, no? And given the same amount of hours put on the engine using the smaller filter, this filter should remain 'as efficient' for a longer period of time. Why else do people use higher capacity filters.
And "making me happier" is also nice benefit, whether or not it's from a placebo for the car or not. :)

More filter surface means more usable area to trap particulates, no? And given the same amount of hours put on the engine using the smaller filter, this filter should remain 'as efficient' for a longer period of time. Why else do people use higher capacity filters.
And "making me happier" is also nice benefit, whether or not it's from a placebo for the car or not. :)

If the larger filter part number is a match for your engine I would use it for the reasons you suggest, plus it is just plain a little easier to remove and install. If it doesn't match I would probably not use it as there can be different oil by pass pressures between different applications, even filtering media and construction can be different.

You are correct about Wally World, been using them for years for Mobil 1 and Castrol oils......:)

Last edited:
10-4 on the good oil price at Wal-Mart......I think it was at 5.00 bucks a qt. in the 5 gal. jugs......very nice especially when you have 10.5 gts to fill the tank. I change my smaller filter about at 3000 miles on my car which is half of what I usually end up putting on the car in a season. In the olden days we would use the longer filters to add more capacity of oil when 5 qts were the norm per change. I agree with LLC5 that you need to make sure the longer filter is intended for your application. With 10.5 per fill on the GS I'm thinking that's enough oil needed for me....

Bigger is not always better.

Like Mike says your timed oil changed are the most important. Then look for a oil filter that will filter out the smallest particles (some nice websites are out there on this subject). That is what I would will do :) Then cut open your last oil filter and examine the filterelement inside. If there isn't enough free filter space left then you'll need a bigger filter (and take a good look at your engine! ;)) But I doubt this will be a problem

If you already do / done this and you still feel the need to go to a bigger filter. Well I'm not stopping you, if a few dollars extra on a bigger filter will ease your mind then it's a few dollars well spend!! :thumb

Greetings Peter

I always installed the larger capacity oil filter on my '72 454. Never had a problem. Besides getting more surface area for filtering debris, you get the added benefit of a little extra oil capacity.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom