Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Aftermarket automatic shifters

RocketSled

Corvette
89 383 Ragtop, 98 C5 with IC Maggie
I've now gone though two shifter cables (melted) and the Megashifter I installed a few years back (like, 2500 miles ago) cannot be adjusted to shift the transmission correctly.

In a little light Googling, I've found Lokar makes shifters, that appear to have a short, stout cable, but no gate protection...I don't want to reach for second and get first, even IF the transmission has protections to keep it from getting hurt.

Lokar example: Lokar: Cable Operated Automatic Transmission Shifters

Art Carr has one that looks dead nuts simple and has a reputation for being a stout part from the 4x4 guys: https://www.artcarr.com/merchandise/details/11/25.acpp

Then there's Hurst, which is also just B&M, meaning it's using the same shift cable I've melted twice. They have a mush stouter shifter than the Megashifter, but I'm stuck with the same melting problems:
Street Bandit Hi-Tek

Go back to stock:
This is certainly an option, even though I'd need to find another center console as the current one was chopped up for the megashifter. The stock cable is MUCH shorter, MUCH stiffer, and MUCH more resistant to the heat encountered under there. (The bracket's about 2 inches away from a ceramic coated 3" exhaust header.) But that means I could grab the wrong gear.

So, anyone have experience with shifters that AREN'T Stock or B&M?

Minor fabrication is not an issue.

.I don't want to reach for second and get first,

Where is your cable melting?

I have a B&M Quiksilver ( rachet, can't miss a shift; only goes one gear at a time ) and the only melting problem I had was when I started with open headers and blew the exh straight over the shifter cable ;squint:

Go back to stock:

You can mod the gates in the stock shifter so you have to push the button to move through each gear

First time, I had the cable routed in two big 'S' bends, so the cable came nearly straight up and back, that must have been the best way to route it as it survived for a couple of years. Incidentally, I think I placed too much force onthe cable and shifter, and yet managed to get the system mostly tuned so that the shifter could hit everything but 1st gear. When that cable melted, an 'un-forced' cable could not be adjusted correctly, leading me to think the shifter had been similarly damaged with the first cable.

The second routing was based on the B&M instructions for the Camaro, recommending two wide loops with the bottom of the loop extending under the tailshaft and into the bracket. I snap-strapped the cable (wrapped in reflective insulation this time) to the tail housing, but it evidently wasn't enough.

The second routing was much smoother in operation, but obviously not the right way to go, thermally. The manual suggests U-bolting a heat shield to the exhaust, but it's a compound curve back there and will take a little engineering if that's the eventual solution.

Mine goes out the front ,curves around to pass side (sits high up against side of tunnel ), cuts across /above pass rear corner of pan, goes under drv side corner of pan into bracket. As the drv side was the side that melted , I reinforced the cable with spiral plastic wrap and that is only just melting on the outside edge despite being 3/4" away from my custom 3" Y pipe

Is that with the stock 5 foot (4 foot?) cable that comes with the kit?

Now that I think about it, the original routing let the cable come vertically up and through the wiring loom bracket. That may have been why it stayed put so well.

The rear exit cable on the Hi tech will not work. I tried one based on "tech" input from the co. Pretty sure all the aftermarkets are going to have the same cable routing issue as the rest, the only resolve I see is to wrap it over the top and come down the drivers side.
here is a pic the first one I tried..(really liked the way it looks though):
2i130yg.jpg

same type of shifter with forward exit cable and routed above trans/tailshaft, (only has one place for heat, the sleeve is DEI fire hose good to 2k f).:
2hnz5vk.jpg

Stellar looking exhaust mseven! Sooo if the rear cable exit didn't do it for you, what did you end up with?

Of course, now that I go try to research, Hurst has CHNAGED ALL THE FRIGGEN NAMES. They're now 'quarter-stick', 'v-matic', and 'pro-matic.' :mad

Wait...scratch that, those are Hurst brand names. I was looking at B&M brand names earlier.

And mysteriously, none of 'em from Hurst seem to be for the 700r4!

This is getting confusing. The megashifter is clearly marketed towards us (at leas Camaro/Firebird owners) and nothing else is.

Basically any of the B&M "pro stick" series or "pro ratchet" series have a front mounted cable and can be used with the 700R (all the "bandit" style shifters have the cable mounted/exiting from the rear of the shifter). If a gate style shifter is your preference, some only come with a 3 or 2 speed gate plate so you have to buy the 4 speed gate plate seperately. If you want the reverse 4 speed plate, I had to buy it from TCI (who also sells the same shifter). For some unknown reason B&M does not sell a reverse 4 pattern gate just standard pattern. The shifter I ended up with is the "Magnum grip pro stick". I was also able to use the stock cable, a 4 foot would also work, but didn't feel it was needed. I did have to buy an extra micro switch for reverse light. The micro switch included w/the kit failed the first time out. Looking at it I found they wre both rated at 3 amps, so I went to a place here called RS electronics and bought a few 25 amp micros and replaced both of them .....no problems now.
Competition Automatic Shifters

Bit the bullet. Bought the Pro Stick and a 4 gear plate. So, where'd you get the firehose? Jegs and Summit don't list it.

Course, I really need to support the local speedshop. I'll just give 'em a call. How long a length did you use?

Bit the bullet. Bought the Pro Stick and a 4 gear plate. So, where'd you get the firehose? Jegs and Summit don't list it. Course, I really need to support the local speedshop. I'll just give 'em a call. How long a length did you use?
Just looked it up and I see they are now calling it "fire sleeve" ...I used the entire 3' length, but is probably overkill. I have had good success with this product and used it on the starter pos. cable, oil cooler hose by the block/header and other places that I thought heat would cause problems.
Design Engineering DEI 010470 - DEI Fire Sleeves – SummitRacing.com

B&M Quicksilver Install

Where is your cable melting?

I have a B&M Quiksilver ( rachet, can't miss a shift; only goes one gear at a time ) and the only melting problem I had was when I started with open headers and blew the exh straight over the shifter cable ;squint:

You can mod the gates in the stock shifter so you have to push the button to move through each gear

Interested in B&Monday Quicksilver install, did you use the Cameron console style or floor type with black case? We're you able to retain within gate of C4 console and did you have to modify top plate to keep drink door or contour of console side? Any pics? Please send to me!

Interested in B&Monday Quicksilver install, did you use the Cameron console style or floor type with black case? We're you able to retain within gate of C4 console and did you have to modify top plate to keep drink door or contour of console side? Any pics? Please send to me!
I did it!
316398425941f72d307f1dfae5d19074.jpg
d6cfc4bac400b38274a438e9004c145a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom