Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

All right, I'm sick of this... Let's have it: ZR-1 VS. LT-4

• Thread starter Thread starter Brett
  • Start date Start date
B

Brett

I am new to this forum, and I have been reading through all of the ZR-1 vs. LT-4 threads on both this forum and the LT-4 forum. No one can seem to come up with a straight answer to what would appear to be a simple question.

I never thought these two vehicles were even comparable until I came to this forum. It seems to me like the ZR-1 should be miles ahead of the LT-4. And I'm talking stock---no "bang for the buck" crap.

What are:

0 to 60 times of each car?

and

Quarter mile times of each car?

I just think there has been a lot of faulty data posted on this (one guy claimed his LT-4 pulled 191 mph! Give me a break!). Yes, I agree it was very likely the LT-4 was underrated, and is probably more around 345 HP, but even then it is still nowhere near the HP, or power band for that matter, of the LT5.

So let's hear it, flat out--no favoritism or nostalgia involved.

Brett

Brett said:
I am new to this forum, and I have been reading through all of the ZR-1 vs. LT-4 threads on both this forum and the LT-4 forum. No one can seem to come up with a straight answer to what would appear to be a simple question.

I never thought these two vehicles were even comparable until I came to this forum. It seems to me like the ZR-1 should be miles ahead of the LT-4. And I'm talking stock---no "bang for the buck" crap.

What are:

0 to 60 times of each car?

and

Quarter mile times of each car?

I just think there has been a lot of faulty data posted on this (one guy claimed his LT-4 pulled 191 mph! Give me a break!). Yes, I agree it was very likely the LT-4 was underrated, and is probably more around 345 HP, but even then it is still nowhere near the HP, or power band for that matter, of the LT5.

So let's hear it, flat out--no favoritism or nostalgia involved.

Brett

Zr-1 is KOTH and thats it!!!!!!

I realize that you are new to this forum, but geez!

This subject has been run into the ground.

Welcome to the family! This is a great forum.

My advise is drive both, then you will see that all the unsubstanciated banter is just that...banter!!

Later. Ed

Brett,

Welcome to the Corvette Action Center.

I believe that the LT4 owner you refer to who claimed he hit a 191 in his LT4, was NOT stock. It was highly modified.

When the 300 HP LT1 Corvette debuted in 1992, it reigned in the performance of the base Corvette much closer to that of the ZR-1.

The 0-60 mph and 1/4 mile times came much closer to that of the ZR-1. The next logical question would be: "why did a 300 HP LT1 come close to the performance of the 375 hp ZR-1"? Simple - weight and engine design.

The LT5 - being a DOHC design, is not a torque monster off the line. Where DOHC motors really shine is in breathing capacity in the upper RPM band. That's why, at 120+ mph the ZR-1 feels like a locomotive set loose heading towards that 180 mph barrier while the LT1 powered Corvette starts to feel like it's running out of a little steam.

Over the 6 year production span of the ZR-1, the weight of the car gradually increased as well. In 1993, the second generation LT5 was released which brought the output of the ZR-1 to 405 hp. The problem is that the increased weight of the ZR-1 didn't help to really increase the performance gains expected with the increase in horsepower.

With the LT4, you now have a "330 hp" motor (as advertised - probably more like 340 - 345 hp) which is only 35-45 hp below that of a first generation ZR-1. That performance gap just closed even more.

For performance values of both the ZR-1 and the LT4 Corvettes, look here:

LT4: http://corvetteactioncenter.com/specs/1996/96perf.html

LT5: http://corvetteactioncenter.com/specs/zr1/zr1perf.html

Re: Re: All right, I'm sick of this... Let's have it: ZR-1 VS. LT-4

YESZREE said:
Zr-1 is KOTH and thats it!!!!!!

I realize that you are new to this forum, but geez!

This subject has been run into the ground.

Welcome to the family! This is a great forum.

My advise is drive both, then you will see that all the unsubstanciated banter is just that...banter!!

Later. Ed

Ed,

He asked a couple legitimate questions and "Zr-1 is KOTH and thats it!!!!!!" really isn't an answer to his questions.

The ZR-1 and the LT4 are a close match up 100mph than the ZR-1 just walks away..You have to remember the ZR-1 was never meant to be a ¼ mile runner it was built to go long distance at high speeds from daylight to dark and than some.

Re: Re: Re: All right, I'm sick of this... Let's have it: ZR-1 VS. LT-4

Rob said:
Ed,

He asked a couple legitimate questions and "Zr-1 is KOTH and thats it!!!!!!" really isn't an answer to his questions.

Yes Mother. :SLAP Now I'll go pick up my room, and do my homework.

Re: Re: Re: Re: All right, I'm sick of this... Let's have it: ZR-1 VS. LT-4

YESZREE said:
Yes Mother. :SLAP Now I'll go pick up my room, and do my homework.

Like I said....he asked for legitimate information - not chest pounding and personal opinion.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: All right, I'm sick of this... Let's have it: ZR-1 VS. LT-4

Rob said:
Like I said....he asked for legitimate information - not chest pounding and personal opinion.

Boy Rob, It's hard to be humble when you drive a ZR-1:D :D :D :D

:eyerole :eyerole We'll try harder!!:eyerole :eyerole

(Just to make sure, my comments are meant to be in good humor only)

A26B said:
Boy Rob, It's hard to be humble when you drive a ZR-1:D :D :D :D

:eyerole :eyerole We'll try harder!!:eyerole :eyerole

(Just to make sure, my comments are meant to be in good humor only)

Actually, no it isn't hard to be humble when driving a ZR-1. I love my ZR-1, but I don't feel the need to wear it on my chest like it's a badge of honor. It's a Corvette...nothing more, nothing less.

When someone asks me what kind of Corvette I own. I tell them "A 1990". I don't bother mentioning it's a ZR-1 because to me, the type of 1990 it is, is irrelevant.

Now....back to the original point of this thread which was the performance differences between the LT4 and ZR-1....

Re: Re: All right, I'm sick of this... Let's have it: ZR-1 VS. LT-4

Rob said:
Actually, no it isn't hard to be humble when driving a ZR-1. I love my ZR-1, but I don't feel the need to wear it on my chest like it's a badge of honor. It's a Corvette...nothing more, nothing less.

When someone asks me what kind of Corvette I own. I tell them "A 1990". I don't bother mentioning it's a ZR-1 because to me, the type of 1990 it is, is irrelevant.

Now....back to the original point of this thread which was the performance differences between the LT4 and ZR-1....

Rob, I respectfully request that you please remove me as a registered user of the forum.

Re: Re: Re: All right, I'm sick of this... Let's have it: ZR-1 VS. LT-4

A26B said:
Rob, I respectfully request that you please remove me as a registered user of the forum.

Ok....done.

A26B said:
Very sorry, no offense intended

I didn't take it as being offensive. I just simply replied.

ZR1 vs. LT4 There is no cut and dry answer to this question... It really just depends on what you want to do with the car, how you want to drive it, etc.

ZR1's are long lasting, high horsepower cars...
LT4's are more low-end torque power, with high HP thrown in... (LT4's have an almost flat torque curve)

which one is better? well, which one is better for you?

The LT4 is my better car, because it has more of what I enjoy... low end torque. I don't intend on ever racing my car 24 hours straight, or even doing any top end testing. I use my 'vette on public roads... honestly, it isn't safe driving 180 MPH on a public road.... but, if you can find a back road somewhere, you can certainly get up to a reasonable speed, and also use the quickness of the car... Other benefits are cheaper and easier to find parts, a cheaper car in general (or a car that is 5 or 6 years newer for the same price) and less money for modifications.

So, if you want an endurance top end racer... ZR1
but, if daily street car with more low end torque, LT4 is probably the better choice.

Rob's analysis of the LT5 vs. the LT4 is correct. Other posts are generally correct, too. It just goes to show that you need to make the decision as to what you want and what you are looking for.

While the LT4 may have some minimal advantage over the LT5 in low rpm torque, please understand that it's all relative. The LT5 is no slouch down low, either.

Remember, too, that the LT4 will wind out quicker, meaning (in most circumstances) an extra shift through the gates (assuming that is important to you). Also remember that different LT5's run differently. Just look at all the different tests by the different magazines. The output just wasn't the same across the board, no matter what year. For example, a friend of mine still owns his '90 he bought new. It was originally delivered to Chevy as a factory test car, and subsequently sold to the public with less tha 500 miles on it (the original sticker verifies the origin of the car). Being a former drag racer of the '60's, he promptly took it out to Pomona and turned mid-12's on street tires. Yet, other times can vary as high as the 13's.

I am a fan of both (I have owned 4 Z's) and they both really are "Corvettes" (just like the Z06 is), but if you know how to drive the ZR1, you aren't too concerned about parts, you want the ultimate in Corvette performance, and you have the extra $$ it may take to buy one, I'd go with the ZR1. Either way, you cannot lose.

Rob, take care not to be so draconian. Let people mingle with their posts. Also, if you are so humble about not revealing your ZR1, why do you list it in your "Corvette Ownership" field? Why not just list a 1990 Corvette?

Ed, I think it was fairly obvious from the content of my post that I was aware this topic had been "run into the ground", hence the title "I'm sick of this..." In fact, that was my whole reason for posting this. I felt like a lot of people were beating around the bush, and I wanted some more direct facts.

Thank you to Rob, and everyone else, for your diplomatic and informative responses.

I find the variable stock LT4 numbers Rob cited to very interesting. How can some plants have up to 40 more horsepower straight out of the factory? That doesn't seem possible. Maybe 10-15, but 40?

Also, I am sure this is on the website here somewhere, but what are the weights of the two cars? I didn't think the LT5 would add that much weight, because it is an aluminum block.

I guess I am still shocked at how close the two cars are. I have been a huge fan of the ZR-1 for quite some time, and never gave the LT4 a second look. I would see the 330 hp rating, and think "eh, that's pretty good", but there was nothing to ever make me look into it any further.

And after all of this better low-end torque talk for the LT4, the ZR-1 still consistently turns in better 0-60 times, so there's that.

However, my respect for the LT4 has grown significantly, as in from nothing to total respect, within the past 24 hours. Thanks a lot guys.

Brett

bbw said:
Rob, take care not to be so draconian. Let people mingle with their posts. Also, if you are so humble about not revealing your ZR1, why do you list it in your "Corvette Ownership" field? Why not just list a 1990 Corvette?

I list it in my profile because there are not a lot of ZR-1 owners out there and as a result, this forum is typically slower than the rest.

If a casual user who happens to be a ZR-1 owner is browsing these forums and sees that there are other ZR-1 owners in this community, maybe it will encourage him/her to join here.

In answer to your other question in LOCATION, it's required because it helps other members hook up and talk with other members in their location.

Brett said:

I find the variable stock LT4 numbers Rob cited to very interesting. How can some plants have up to 40 more horsepower straight out of the factory? That doesn't seem possible. Maybe 10-15, but 40?

It seems odd to me as well, but those were the published numbers that were given to me from a testing facility. I've always heard that the LT4 is putting out around 10-15 hp more than the listed 330 hp.

Also, I am sure this is on the website here somewhere, but what are the weights of the two cars? I didn't think the LT5 would add that much weight, because it is an aluminum block.

Check here: http://corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15290

I guess I am still shocked at how close the two cars are. I have been a huge fan of the ZR-1 for quite some time, and never gave the LT4 a second look. I would see the 330 hp rating, and think "eh, that's pretty good", but there was nothing to ever make me look into it any further.

And after all of this better low-end torque talk for the LT4, the ZR-1 still consistently turns in better 0-60 times, so there's that.

However, my respect for the LT4 has grown significantly, as in from nothing to total respect, within the past 24 hours. Thanks a lot guys.

Brett

Brett,

In all honesty, if you're contemplating the purchase of either one, test drive both. They are both different beasts. I have driven an LT4 Collector's Edition and was extremely impressed with it. For me, I still love the ZR-1.

When questions arise, I'll ask them. Thanks.

And, by the way, others might mention their ZR1s for reasons similar to your explanation of why you contradict your claim of humility.

About the location field, your explanation supports why it's a field, not necessarily why it's a *required* field.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom