Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Alternator gave up the ghost

Corvette
www.67HEAVEN.com
My just-over-one-year-old 94 amp alternator decided enough was enough, and quit. The Chevy dealer's warranty was one year. :D

So, off I go to Canadian Tire to buy a Champion (Federal-Mogul Ignition Company) re-man for the same application. Less than half the price, and triple the warranty. :eek The core charge was only $10, so I'm hanging on to the problem alternator. Maybe I'll rebuild it. ;)

We'll see.

P.S. The application is 1987 Monte Carlo SS 305c.i. That's how I get a 94-amp alternator that works with my application.

Bob
you don't have good luck with new parts!
I remember when your fuel pump went out on you not long after you got her running and now your alternator went kaplooey.

let's hope you have better luck on the rest of the parts. :beer:

After a 30-minute test drive around town, I'm convinced that the original alternator never was any good. I experienced wild swings on the Battery (ammeter) gauge and it was extremely sensitive to the turning on and off of the electric cooling fans and/or headlights.

The new one registers a very stable reading under various loads.

Hmmm.

Hmmmm..those wild swings in the ammeter gauge are what i experienced with the small block - my alternator (63A which I rebuilt up from 37A(the only real load is the fan)) tested out fine but the voltage regulator seemed to be the problem

think i'll do a load test on the alternator, JUST IN CASE

good luck

so, I had VNV over yesterday to help me with the dual fan dewitt radiator and it was TOO HOT to finish it up but between both of us, we got pretty far along...finished up the wiring this morning and went to start the '66 and when i hit the ignition it goes >CLICK<

i posted that problem of a few weeks ago and i fiddled with the wires and got it going again, this time the car's in the garage, thank god

this time, i check the battery and i have 4.5v at the terminals...BINGO

I learned something that I didn't know about alternators when I converted to serpentine belt on the yellow truck;
1 some of the modern alternators don't like 12 volts to the trigger wire.
2 a "one wire" alternator will loose its "energy" when sitting on a shelf for 10 years.

I ended up taking a local rebuilders advice and used a stock late model 100 amp from a 89 Camaro with a resistor inline to the trigger wire, no problems ever since.

I'm sure you will make out well with the re-manufactured unit. Canadian Tire has spruced up its quality control a great deal in recent years. There was a time when you had to buy three alternators to get one good one. They are still on the low end when it comes to automotive service as their pay scales are not competitive with dealerships. But even within a dealership, talent varies. I have identified people who can work on my car in several speciality areas. But I only did that after spending 14 months at the dealership and watching them work. Also noting the comeback records. That is a luxury most people do not have, unfortunately.

So I guess you're a go for Carlisle now.

paul67 said:
They are still on the low end when it comes to automotive service as their pay scales are not competitive with dealerships. But even within a dealership, talent varies.

I wouldn't know about their service, 'cause I do my own. ;)

67HEAVEN said:
I wouldn't know about their service, 'cause I do my own. ;)

I had to laugh when I went by a Petro-Canada "service" station the other day. They have a new promotional poster out front (I should have taken a photo) that reads.........."It's all about the Service!".

Now, you know me. I got to thinking. They no longer pump my gas. They no longer check my oil. They no longer clean my windshield. They no longer check the tire pressures. Hell, when I use the pay-at-the-pump credit card, they no longer even get to see my pretty face. So..........my question is, "What bloody service?????" :crazy

67HEAVEN said:
I had to laugh when I went by a Petro-Canada "service" station the other day. They have a new promotional poster out front (I should have taken a photo) that reads.........."It's all about the Service!".

Now, you know me. I got to thinking. They no longer pump my gas. They no longer check my oil. They no longer clean my windshield. They no longer check the tire pressures. Hell, when I use the pay-at-the-pump credit card, they no longer even get to see my pretty face. So..........my question is, "What bloody service?????" :crazy

Not a problem. The "service" is making change. Ever see an attendant struggle through addition and subtraction? It's so painful that it hurts their little head.

67HEAVEN said:

That reminds me of the summer I worked at an Atlantic Service Station. They had what was called "Red Ball Service" (no need for comments on that :L ) which meant that we had to check the oil and clean the windshield. If we forgot to do it their gas was free! Of course the price per gallon was about 29 cents for premium at the time but still it showed that they were serious about providing service. Those days are sure long gone.

Rich Lagasse

yeah current gas station "service" consists of if the reciet printing on the pump itself is broken than the guy inside has to get up off his lazy a** and actually push a button to print it out for you inside and hand it to you - all the while making faces and sighing heavily because you put him thru so much effort.

Kid_Again said:
Not a problem. The "service" is making change. Ever see an attendant struggle through addition and subtraction? It's so painful that it hurts their little head.

Yeah I have seen a few of those people come and go where I work at.

What is even better then that is the customers that cant figure out if the change I gave them was correct

67HEAVEN said:
So, off I go to Canadian Tire to buy a Champion (Federal-Mogul Ignition Company) re-man for the same application. Less than half the price, and triple the warranty.

Ya just can't beat Canajun Tired. I wonder how the rest of the world survives without them? :D

I think self-service gas stations are still illegal in New Jersey - they still have people that pump your gas; wonder if they still check oil and clean the windshield?

I got my mechanic basic training working at a local Shell station (with four repair bays) during my high school years, and I ran a Shell station on the night shift for the last three years I was in college to pay the college bills. Those were the days when they were still SERVICE stations - yup, with the Shell shirt, pants, jacket, and hat. :)

JohnZ said:
I think self-service gas stations are still illegal in New Jersey - they still have people that pump your gas; wonder if they still check oil and clean the windshield?

I got my mechanic basic training working at a local Shell station (with four repair bays) during my high school years, and I ran a Shell station on the night shift for the last three years I was in college to pay the college bills. Those were the days when they were still SERVICE stations - yup, with the Shell shirt, pants, jacket, and hat. :)

Got any old photos, John? :D

Attendant-Signshell.jpg

John Z - You are right, New Jersey still does not allow self-serve - they say for insurance reasons. I demand to fill my 66 myself. To be politically correct, in my area there is very often a language barrier, so it takes some time to get my intentions accross. None of the stations I go to offer to do anything. I worked my way through college at a couple gas stations also. I remember working at a Texaco station and giving out free glasses to the customers. One year, it was steak knives - could you imagine that now. Them's were the days!!

Steve

JohnZ said:

Mine was an Esso Station with two bays he switched from a "pit" to a lift when I was working there. I've got an HO scale model that looks just like the station for my train set. The owner also plowed snow in the winter, he would pick me up at 5 AM (to do the shovel work) and drop me off at school on snow days.

Ok...Here's your Brain..... Here's your Brain on Drugs...!!! Get it:D

Why don't you quit messen around with them there crapy cheapy rebuilt under diode-ed flimsey heat sink Alternators and buy your self a good one..

Buy a Power Master 140 AmP Alternator.. It will put out aronud 90 amps at idle.;)
Your electrical system runs on the Alternator not the battery..
You have two amp sucking fans running on Heaven..not counting the rest of the gack in your electrical system. The Power Master Alternators are Heavy Duty...:)

No wonder your alternator takes a dump every year...;LOL ;LOL

67HEAVEN said:
I like installing shiny parts. ;)

And, I have every confidence in this one. The first one was wacky from day one.

The Power Master Is Triple Chrome Plated.. Top of the line DMZ Gack..:L

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom