Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Alternator Overcharging...Wierd...

Ludigdrums

Corvette
1981 White Coupe
Hello all...some of you may remember my posts a while back about my generator warning lamp coming on and a buzzing sound from the choke relay. Anyhow, the solution to all of that was a new alternator.

So, when I got the new alternator, everything was fine. However, it has now started to overcharge. We're talking 17-18V. What's strange is that the voltage is not getting to the battery. Meaning, the battery is reading 14.5 volts as are the 2 wire connector on the Alt. The only wire that reads that 17-18V is the single red wire on the back of the Alt. The generator light does not come on indicating a problem...because the voltage at the battery and the 2 wire connector are the same.

Another oddity is that it seems like when I give it more gas, the voltage will drop a little bit. Put on the rear defogger and it goes way down to like 13-14V.

Is it safe to assume that it's because of a cheapy Autobarn alternator?! I say this because in my '87 Monte, I've gone through 3 within the past year...and the one that's in there now, won't charge until you rev it pas 3k RPM. That's the same problem the previous one had, replaced it under warranty (1 year), and everything was fine for a few months and now this one started doing the same thing!

Any thoughts!

Thanks again!

- Jeremy

Ludigdrums said:
Is it safe to assume that it's because of a cheapy Autobarn alternator?! I say this because in my '87 Monte, I've gone through 3 within the past year...and the one that's in there now, won't charge until you rev it pas 3k RPM. That's the same problem the previous one had, replaced it under warranty (1 year), and everything was fine for a few months and now this one started doing the same thing!

Any thoughts!

Thanks again!

- Jeremy

I would work on that assumption. Seems like all of the issues you've had stem from the alt. My stab at your fix would be to get a good rebuilt replacement alt and be done with it. My .02 cents...(and beleive me, when it comes to electrical, I'd owe you change).

Dave Z said:
My .02 cents...(and beleive me, when it comes to electrical, I'd owe you change).

Heheheh, that was hilarious! I thank you for your reply!

- Jeremy

My tiny 2 cents says to make darn sure you have good grounds to the frame and the engine.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom