Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Alternator problems?

rch105

Corvette
2000 Magnetic Red II Coupe
It started out with a whiney alternator, then went to my voltage display showing voltage at 11.1 volts. I went to my local auto parts store and purchased a Delco-Remy remanufactured alternator and installed same. And yes, I followed all instructions for disassembly and reassembly. I started the car, ran it for about 2 miles and noticed that all appeared fine. I decided to take it to work tonight (night shift) and on my 31 mile drive to work found my red idiot dash light (outline of battery), flickering, the instrument display showed the voltage varying between 13.2 to 14. 3. The red light finally came on and stayed on and the voltage display goes up to 16.2 volts. It drops off to 14 but the red light stays on, then goes back up to 15 and 16 volts. Is it a good assumption that this "new" reman. alternator is defective, or something else!
Thanks, as always!!!:w :bash

Before condemning the alternator again check all the grounds. I'm sure someone here familiar with that year can tell you where they are. :beer

After checking all the grounds take it back if it is still showing over 14.5 volts. The remain probable has a bad diod in it.;help

Alternator problem update

I checked the grounds and all appeared fine with a meter. I pulled it off this morning and took it back to the store. They put it on their tester and as soon as they hit the start button it went to "FAIL". They tried it 3 times, then gave me another one. I had them test it first. Lesson I learned? Save yourself some time and trouble...have them test it at the store. If they don't want to, take your money to another auto parts store! :bar

Note to all:
I would only buy an alternator with LIFETIME warranty for an L98 car with CS-130 alternator. In the nearly 15 years I've had my 87 it's had 4 alternators on it. I'm not sure how many it went through before I got it. The last 2 were brand new Pep boys units.
I can say I think a bad battery took out the last alternator.
80's GM alternators were usually good for about 4yrs or 80K miles.

JS

I went through 3 in 20K miles. 4 years ago I bought a heavy duty alternator from Ice Burg... End of problem. :upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom