Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Alternator question voltage hey guys,

Corvette
1982 Collector Edition
Hey guys, quick question:
my Volt meter is showing only slightly above 8, but the car seems to run fine. This started a week ago, then went normal to around 14V but only for a day or so. The regulator in the alternator was rebuilt only last year, could it be it went bust again? I checked it with WinALDL and it Shows 6V when in drive, but 18V when in park or neutral. Before I go out and spend another 100€ for a new alternator, anything else I can check?
Thanks as always!
:w
-Stefan

Yes check the voltage output with a voltmeter

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

If you do find there is a problem, you can always open the alternator up and check each part, you might find you only need to replace a small part.

:happyanim:
Fixed.." and I will have a word with the mechanic next time. The car had been in the shop a few weeks ago, as my positive fuse block had burnt out, at the battery side.

Checking voltage on the battery: 12 steady. Going to check output on the alternator, I need to lösen the cap over the positive. Errrr wiggly? The nut on the positive was lose. Tighten that up, start the car, voila, 14V.

Thanks Doug. Lead me to the correct fix!

If you do find there is a problem, you can always open the alternator up and check each part, you might find you only need to replace a small part.
You give my mechanical abilities too much credit, mate. Wouldn't know where to start there. :L

You give my mechanical abilities too much credit, mate. Wouldn't know where to start there. :L
Just like you did!
Start here

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom