Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Alternator Suggestions Please.

Ken

Gone but not forgotten
Corvette
1987 Z51 Silver Coupe
I know that the alternator was subject to early demise in the earlier C4s, at least the '87 was still weak.

My Vette came with the K68 Option (105 Amp), and it's been replaced in kind twice since I've had it in late '94 (maybe more but I've replaced it twice).

My question has to do with are there stronger (read: longer-lived) substitutions at my option, and where are the recommended outlets for a decent price?

I thought I saw a post on this subject here in these forums before, but I can't locate it now. Was Pep Boys one of the suggested stores?

Thanks y'all.

My buddy has an '89 Vette and went with a Pep Boys lifetime warranty alternator. He ends up replacing it once a year. He doesn't mind because it doesn't cost him anything except his time. Keep in mind, his Vette only sees nice days so, he doesn't rack up a lot of miles each year.

I personally would go with NAPA if they offered a lifetime warranty. Their parts seem to be of higher quality and a bit more expensive. I would spend a little more for not dealing with replacing an alternator once a year.

Hope this helps.

I know when I did Car Audio heavy the stereo shops would always have a connection to a comapany who dealt with super high performance alternators for the big car audio rigs mane try there

Summit (www.summitracing.com) or 1-800-230-3030 offers an "icebox" repair kit for your year (cs-130) that works well for $49 NQS-D1-7130 or a 140 amp high output replacement kit NQS-D1-7140 for $99 ......

They also offer a 140 amp preasembled unit for $169...( it says pre 1988 GM) SUM-G1669......but I'm not sure if it has as good cooling capacity as the iceberg kit.......

Like Bubble said the NAPA ones are pretty good...its what we have but dont have the lifetime warrenty.......so I'm thinking of upgrading myself

The idea that Pep Boys alternators are a great value because they have a frigging "lifetime" warranty is a scam propagated by some marketing wizard.

Reality is that Pep Boys sucks enough people in with that lifetime warranty stuff that the extra sales volume justifies a higher-that-acceptable returns of low quality rebuilt parts that get sloppy rebuilds to save cost. Manny, Moe and Jack laugh all the way to the bank and you get stuck holding the bag---er, fried alternator

Problem is: you, the customer, eats the labor and the inconvenience.

The guy who replaces his Pep Boys alternator once a year and eats the labor is just kiddin' himself. I'd think the repetitive labor and the probability the alternator will fail and strand you or leave you driving at night with dim lights and a failing battery would far offset any endless stream of free alternators one gets.

You are far better off using a truly remanufactured (as opposed to just "rebuit") alternator from a reputable supplier such as NAPA or AC Delco Reman.

Personally, I use AC Delco. I've got ACD Reman alternators on my 88 Beretta (CS130), 71 BB (converted to CS144) Coupe and 65 Malibu (converted to CS144) and each has been there at least three years and one has been on five. I've had no trouble of any kind with these Delcos.

Autozone also has a lifetime warranty alternator. Have gotten nothing but good parts and Great Customer service from autozone.

Can't say the same for Pepboys.

Just my .02 cents.
Denzil

Hib Halverson said:

Problem is: you, the customer, eats the labor and the inconvenience.

True........but alot of people are responsible for wrecking the alternator themselves.......(by storing the car over the winter without charging their battery)...they then burn out and need replacement as well as a new battery........so those people get what they deserve........

We charge our battery all the time when not in use.........but we know a few people who replace the alternator every spring since its still "free" under warranty BEFORE it fails on the road.....

...and anyone who actually pays someone to replace an alternator that takes all of 15 minutes is pretty dumb anyway and gets what they deserve!

Try E-BAY, there's a guy that sells high amp upgraded rebuilds for $90. I was going to put one in my 90 but I'm so ****ed at it now I won't drop another dime in it. Oh by the way your brother Rick is my boss! small world. Jim

Ken,
Try Rotex, we have used them a couple of times with good results 310-323-5710
Dave

Corvette1984 said:

True........but alot of people are responsible for wrecking the alternator themselves.......(by storing the car over the winter without charging their battery)...they then burn out and need replacement as well as a new battery........so those people get what they deserve........

Please explain to me how an alternator "burns out" because the car has been stored? I have never heard of this and would like to know what happens to the alternator.

I know batteries can be drained far enough to screw with the chemical levels in the battery which requires replacement. But never an alternator.

Alt City

I use the Pepboy method as well but I go a step farther.... I buy extra brush's, tear it apart check everything first... and your right they do a shlock job.... but I usually get 14-16 months out of one and it takes me about 1 hr to pull the alt apart clean it back up load the brushes and away I go...... and keep your eye on the voltage gauge... that's why it's there!

Mike

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom