Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Another Service Column Lock Question

Senator75

Corvette
2004 Commemorative
Okay, I know this topic has been beat to death, but...

I've got a manual 04. A little while ago I started getting the "Service Column Lock" warning, but the wheel WASN'T locking. That is, it wasn't failing in the locked position. I've taken the car to the dealer, and they are telling me that I need a new column lock and some other part to fix the problem, to the tune of $800 or so. Needless to say, I've been reading up and have some questions.

1) It looks to me like there are recalls that "remove the locking plate". Doesn't this mean that the steering wheel doesn't lock by design? What's the point of getting a new locking mechanism then?

2) I've seen comments that this could be due to a weak battery...what voltage should the battery be?

Thanks in advance...

S

HI there,

First, please get codes from the BCM to determine what is the issue with the column lock.

Because your 04 is the BEST c5 system for column lock, I would ask a few questions.

#1, did you have any water intrusion on the passenger side of the car, on the carpet????

#2, your battery voltage will need to be at least 12.3 on the DIC. The key part is to NOTE when the 'service column lock" occurs. if it is ONLY AFTER you try to start your vehicle, I would be very suspect of the battery. You have a top post 86-6yr battery in your vehicle and it should test out at 12.3 volts and 500 CCA.

Let us know how you make out.

Allthebest, Paul

HI there,

First, please get codes from the BCM to determine what is the issue with the column lock.

Because your 04 is the BEST c5 system for column lock, I would ask a few questions.

#1, did you have any water intrusion on the passenger side of the car, on the carpet????

#2, your battery voltage will need to be at least 12.3 on the DIC. The key part is to NOTE when the 'service column lock" occurs. if it is ONLY AFTER you try to start your vehicle, I would be very suspect of the battery. You have a top post 86-6yr battery in your vehicle and it should test out at 12.3 volts and 500 CCA.

Let us know how you make out.

Allthebest, Paul

Senator, listen to this man, he knows what he is talking about. Follow his instructions and recommendation to the "T", he'll get you through this mess. Thanks Paul!

Thanks for the input. Once I get the car back from the dealer, I'll check it out myself.

Water intrusion shouldn't be an issue. He's a garage king, and doesn't get to play in the rain.

I'm very suspicious of the battery now, especially after reading up on the interweb. I get the "service column lock" on startup, and it wasn't that long ago that he was a little sluggish to start. While I'm not saying my records are complete, I don't have any record of ever changing the battery... :)

Of course, if it is the battery, it will make me sad that the dealership was going to charge me $800 to fix something that could've been fixed with a new battery.

Sen

I think the old adage is "Let the buyer beware".

There are other ways to get water in the floorboards of the C5. One is to have the condensation drain from the AC plug up and when full enough water will run it into the passenger foot well and if bad enough on into the pricy hardware under the floorboard. Was out driving one time and my wife said she heard gurgling noises when we would turn a corner. I had just read threads on the CAC about this potential problem and also about milking the udders to make sure they were not full of trash and plugging up. I did feel some dampness on the carpet when I got home and started to investigate.

So I went and put the car up on the rack and reached up and squeezed the end of the drain tube which is not easy to get to and got a nice shower as the water poured out. Not changing the thread subject but talking about the moisture in the car reminded me of that.

C5's are real battery hogs. I was having some trouble with my 02 one time and put a new battery in it and it did cure it.

Last edited:
Since I'm sure everyone is on pins and needles waiting to see how this turned out...

It ended up with the dealer replacing the steering column lock actuator and steering lock relay, to the tune of $750. Apparently they had already taken everything apart Friday afternoon, and by the time I called them on Monday morning to wave off, they wanted to charge me money to put it back together (since I already approved the work), and even more money for the "special order" parts. Since I'm not the best at complaining, I rolled, but they were at least nice enough to give me a discount on the work.

The good news is that it seems to be working so far...then again, I've only driven it home from the dealership. :) Hopefully it will continue to work...otherwise I might just start driving my 78 VW instead!

Thanks for the help...
S

Another Service Column Lock ?

2000 Red Convertible w/auto started getting multiple warnings? service column, traction on / off and believe it or not the trunk started opening while traveling. I found passenger floor wet which was caused by the AC condensate drain being plugged. Drain unplugged, inspected fuse box and onboard computer panel (found no moisture) and floor board dried out. Everything is back to normal except the Service Column Lock warning is still alarming. Steering wheel does not lock. Any suggestions.
Okay, I know this topic has been beat to death, but...

I've got a manual 04. A little while ago I started getting the "Service Column Lock" warning, but the wheel WASN'T locking. That is, it wasn't failing in the locked position. I've taken the car to the dealer, and they are telling me that I need a new column lock and some other part to fix the problem, to the tune of $800 or so. Needless to say, I've been reading up and have some questions.

1) It looks to me like there are recalls that "remove the locking plate". Doesn't this mean that the steering wheel doesn't lock by design? What's the point of getting a new locking mechanism then?

2) I've seen comments that this could be due to a weak battery...what voltage should the battery be?

Thanks in advance...

S

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom