Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Antenna Switch

Corvette
1996 LT1 automatic, Polo Green
I would like to install a switch that would control my antenna. "Off" would keep the antenna down, and "on" would be normal operation. Which wire does the switch go in? Where's the best place to get to it?

Thanks,
Ken

Hi,

The wire to the antenna is the pink wire on the output plug at the tuner module of the Bose system. I am not sure where the tuner part of the ´96 unit is. On my 90 it is located under the right side of the Dash. GM could never make up their mind about where to put the tuner module, on our 93 it was in the Rt. Side storage compartment.
If it is under the dash you need to drop the hush shield. The output plug is on the right side of the module. Just cut the wire and install the switch wherever you like.
Here is a pic of my MP3 and antenna switch.
http://corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43603

The radio is under the storage compartment behing the passenger seat. Here is a picture. Which wires do what?

Ken

You should have a pink wire on one of the plugs on the Rt. hand side. Cut the pink wire and splice a pair of wires from the switch to the 2 ends of the wire you just cut. It is easy to run the wires under the carpet into the console and mount the switch in the console. I only stuck mine in the dash because I had to have the filler plate to fill up the hole left when I ripped the Bose out.
5541fosgate.jpg

Spanishvetts, I think the wires must have changed between 90 and 96. There's no pink one in sight.

I spent a couple of hours wading through wiring diagrams last night, and I'm pretty sure the green wire (with the arrow pointing to it) is the one. Can anyone confirm or deny before I snip?
Thanks,
Ken

Sorry I only have the manuals for my 90 so I can’t look it up for you.;shrug

Try this, using a digital volt meter connect one lead to case of the unit and check each wire as you turn the radio on and off. You can rule out any wire that does not go from 0 to 12+ volts. This should narrow the selection.

;help Does anybody out there have a 96 electrical supplement?

Well, I clipped the green wire and the stereo promptly quit working. The lights came on the dash and the antenna stayed down, but there was no sound from either the radio or CD. This is in spite of the fact that my manual says that the green wire is the relay for the antenna motor. So, I soldered it back together and all is back to normal.

I pulled the receiver out of the storage bay, and on the bottom there are more wires. One of them is pink.

In my service manual, it shows a pink wire that sends +14 volts from the receiver to the radio head in the dash. There is also red/white wire that sends battery power from the receiver to the head. What the difference is I don't know. Spanishvetts, does your manual show your pink wire doing the same thing, that is, 14 volts out from receiver to head?

Thanks,
Ken

I think the wire you want is a dark green. It was pink until 1993. And i think your wire(receiver box) can be reached inside the passenger rear storage compartment, though you will have to remove the liner.

If my car wasn't under 6 feet of snow I'd go shoot some pictures.

I drilled a hole right beside the power window switch. Installed a round red button switch then took the pink wire and a ignition power wire (from the radio harness) and joined the switch

Works great.

Also my paging alarm system is tied into the same circuitry

In my post number 5 above, the arrow points to the wire I cut. My manual calls it a "dark green" wire, circuit 145, going to the antenna relay. But, as I said, cutting it resulted in no sound from the stereo, either from the radio or CD. What's the deal?

Ken,

My neighbor & I both installed switches in our consoles, but I can't remember which wire we snipped. I'm currently on assignment @ the Corvette Plant and can't go look @ it. I sent him an e-mail and ask him if he remembers, if not I'm pretty sure he could give it a look sometime today.

Later . . . . . .
6 Shooter

I'm 6 Shooters neighbor, and if you haven't found out which wire it is by tonight I can look at my car after work.

Got a chance to go home for lunch, so here is what the instructions say.

1.Open the right rear storage compartment lid and remove the plastic tray and carpet liner.
2.Locate the Bose amp relay attached to the wire harness. (Should be on the bottom side.)
3.There will be two pink wires in 1993 cars (or dark green wires in 1994-96). One wire comes from the receiver box and goes to the antenna. Measure back about two inches from the relay and cut the pink wire in 1993 cars (or dark green wire in 1994-96) that goes to the antenna.

Hope this helps.

93 Polo said:
Got a chance to go home for lunch, so here is what the instructions say.

1.Open the right rear storage compartment lid and remove the plastic tray and carpet liner.
2.Locate the Bose amp relay attached to the wire harness. (Should be on the bottom side.)
3.There will be two pink wires in 1993 cars (or dark green wires in 1994-96). One wire comes from the receiver box and goes to the antenna. Measure back about two inches from the relay and cut the pink wire in 1993 cars (or dark green wire in 1994-96) that goes to the antenna.

Hope this helps.
That did it! :D The people of CAC come through again! :)

In my photo above, evidently the dark green wire with the arrow goes to the Bose relay, then continues on to the antenna. I guess I originally cut the section from the receiver to the relay, de-powering the relay. Thus no sound. This time I cut the wire between the relay and the antenna. At least I presume it was headed for the antenna; it went the same general direction as the coax cable.

Reception seems to be fine without the antenna up, at least in my garage. We'll see what happens on the road tomorrow.

BTW, the radio doesn't keep playing now when the key is turned off. It used to keep going until a door was opened. I wasn't expecting that.

Anyway, thanks everybody!

Now, where to put the toggle switch? I've got a small one available and I'm thinking about putting it in the console next to the cigarette lighter, where the lid would cover it up. I'm a little leery of drilling a hole where it would show. Where did y'all put your switches?

Ken

I just did the same thing to my Vette and have yet to see if the radio goes off without opening the door. I was thinking to put the switch in the passenger side storage compartment but it seems that it might be a little hard to access there.

The radio stays on when I turn the ignition key off. The door must not have been closed tight yesterday when I first tried it.

Ok I clipped a green wire last night and sure enough the antenna did not go up - the problem seems to be that I dont get any sound when I do this so tonight I will change it back - i have a 1996 LT4 and now i am not sure which green wre to cut....any help would be great!!!

In the picture Kenwa has above I clipped about where the arrow is...should I have clipped the green one in the lower right with the orange ones??? Or is it one of the TWO green wires that go to the relay in the STYROFOAM...

Thank you for you help.

Timm

Timm, I'll check when I get home this evening. You'll need to reattach the wires you clipped. The one you want is down by the relay. I'll try to get a picture.
Ken

is the relay under the foam piece? In mine the radio is as shown in your picture and there is a small cut out for towards the back of the car for what I think is the relay...???...

I will reconnect the recently clipped GREEN wire and wait to hear from you this evening...

thank you again for your help

Timm

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom