Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Anti-theft Status On - CANNOT START ENGINE> PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

ThunderVette

Corvette
1990 Red L98 Autotranny
Anti-theft Status On - CANNOT START ENGINE... PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

Hi All,
Today was doing some driver's side under dash work. Unconnected wires which lead to ignition lock. Then after some time turned ignition key to start engine. Bad luck of mine - forgot to connect back above wires...
So now when key is turned to start engine - "SECURITY" and "BRAKE" gauge lights are ON. And starter doesn't start. ECM is now in Anti-Theft status.
Turned Door lock - doesn't help.
What shall I do now? Which connectors ground, which ignition key+connectors grounded combinations shall I do??
FOLKS PLEASE ADVISE KINDLY SINCE I CANNOT MOVE MY CAR EVEN AN INCH!!!!

I don't know if I can be much help, but here it goes.....

If you think you have everything wired back up correctly, maybe you can just unhook the battery for a minute and see if it resets itself. Don't know too much about the '90 security system. I'm sure someone else will come along with better info.

ZumZum said:
I don't know if I can be much help, but here it goes.....

If you think you have everything wired back up correctly, maybe you can just unhook the battery for a minute and see if it resets itself. Don't know too much about the '90 security system. I'm sure someone else will come along with better info.
Thank you ZumZum,
but did it several times - no success... Still puzzled how to make ECM cancel it's Anti-Theft Status....:confused ;shrug :BOW

When I first got my '93 this happened when my key was wet and I tried to start the car. Once the Security Circuit is engaged, you cannot start the car even if everything is okay. After several minutes (5+ maybe), the circuit will reset and the car will start. Also, you can have your local dealer check the resistor in the key for correct resistance.

ThunderVette said:
Hi All,
Today was doing some driver's side under dash work. Unconnected wires which lead to ignition lock. Then after some time turned ignition key to start engine. Bad luck of mine - forgot to connect back above wires...
So now when key is turned to start engine - "SECURITY" and "BRAKE" gauge lights are ON. And starter doesn't start. ECM is now in Anti-Theft status.
Turned Door lock - doesn't help.
What shall I do now? Which connectors ground, which ignition key+connectors grounded combinations shall I do??
FOLKS PLEASE ADVISE KINDLY SINCE I CANNOT MOVE MY CAR EVEN AN INCH!!!!

Your question is not exactly clear. I'm not sure if the 90 system is the same as my 86, but I think it may be. Have you tried your spare key? Are all the wires reconnected?

If you go to my second ever post here and follow it out for a few threads you can learn all you want to know about the VATS if yours is the same.

From a previous experience with a caddy here is what I learned.

Inside the ignition lock there are two small contacts that touch the resistor in the key when you incert it into the ignition switch. If the ecm does not see the correct resistance when the key is turned it sets the Vats system for about 5 minutes.

There is a wire comming down the colum under the dash that has two small gauge wires covered in a single sheath. I was told to look for a orange wire, mine was white. But it was obvious it was two wires in a common cover. You could have left it unplugged or possibly the contacts are bad in the ignition switch.

In my case it was the contacts, and I simply measured the resistance of the key, and spliced a proper resistor across the wires and she started right up.

Hope this helps a little.

Did you check CCM fuses?

What color were the wires you had disconnected?

Hi Folks,
my bad story ended :Twist
All I had to do was wait for 5 minutes till VATS deactivates itself, but WAIT WITH BATTERY CONNECTED!!!!!
Thanks everybody :beer

Thought you did that already. Oh well.

There is a three or so minute time delay built into an EEPROM so the timer must expire, as you said, with the battery connected i.e disconnecting battery won't get around it.

Glad you got back on the road.:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom