Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Armour All Or Not?

Vette_Dreaming

Corvette
Y2K Navy Blue Roadster
I have used Armor All for years but lately have been hearing more and more that this product can actually dry out the plastics. I finally got my dream car and I want the best for it.

I have used Armor All on all of my cars for over 20 years. I have never experianced any negative effects. I use it on the hoses and vaccume lines under the hood and it keeps everything looking new and keeps the rubber from getting dried out from the under hood heat.

It kept the dash boards on all of my dialy drivers (they sat out in the sun while the Vette was in the garage) looking new. It works great on all exposed gaskets and weather seals.

I heard the same thing about ArmorAll so have been using 303 Aerospace Protectant for quite some time. I like the subtle look instead of the slick, greasy look plus it provides UV protection.

Elaine

I have used Armour All for years but lately have been hearing more and more that this product can actually dry out the plastics. I finally got my dream car and I want the best for it.
I use NO SLIME on any of my Cars!!! Yes Armour All,2001 Protectant,Eagle 1 and others WILL COOK the oils out of Plastics,Vinyl and Leather in the sun and over time make it Crack!!!!I use nothing but Mild soap and water on interior with Maguires Gold Class Leather Cleaner and Conditioner on my Leather!! :upthumbs

Armour All

A lot of those products gas-off in the heat, makes cleaning your windows a little greasy, engine comp. ok, just my 2

I use NO SLIME on any of my Cars!!! Yes Armour All,2001 Protectant,Eagle 1 and others WILL COOK the oils out of Plastics,Vinyl and Leather in the sun and over time make it Crack!!!!I use nothing but Mild soap and water on interior with Maguires Gold Class Leather Cleaner and Conditioner on my Leather!! :upthumbs

Cook the oils out of the plastics? Thats not the experiance I had.

My 70 GTO came from Arizona, Armoal was the ONLY product back when i had that car, and it kept the dashboard like new for years. (7 years). I have never had a
"drying out" issue with it.

The owners manual says to use mild soap and water on the interior.
Back in the day when I used Armor All on the dashboards, the windshield always had a fog on the inside from the Armor All evaporating and re-condensing on the glass. I will never use it on the interior any more. Engine Compartment gets Silicone these days, since it doesn't evaporate like Armor All does.

I agree. I used to use Armor All on my cars until the dash cracked wide open on one. It was lighter tan color, not a sun absorbing black like I have now. I refrain from using anything on the dash and interior now, other than soap and water. I do condition the leather with Maguires.

The owners manual says to use mild soap and water on the interior.
Back in the day when I used Armor All on the dashboards, the windshield always had a fog on the inside from the Armor All evaporating and re-condensing on the glass. I will never use it on the interior any more. Engine Compartment gets Silicone these days, since it doesn't evaporate like Armor All does.
My problem is that the 2000 owner's manual also mentions Armor All under vehicle care/appearance materials. So is it alright the interior or not?

My problem is that the 2000 owner's manual also mentions Armor All under vehicle care/appearance materials. So is it alright the interior or not?
NO NO NO don't use it.If it's in question the simple solution is not to. What my wife doesn't know JUNKIE knows.Go with Junk. Good luck no matter what.;)

I was leaning toward not using the Armor All that I have but I am convinced that I shouldn't. Have some Maguires Gold Class Leather cleaner and conditioner so I will take Junks advice and use that only. I don't want to mess my car up just trying to clean it.

I was leaning toward not using the Armor All that I have but I am convinced that I shouldn't. Have some Maguires Gold Class Leather cleaner and conditioner so I will take Junks advice it use that only. I don't want to mess my car up just trying to clean it.
I think your doing the right thing.;)

Armor All is a water-based dressing and will not have a negative effect on the dash or other interior pieces. It may not be my first choice of interior dressing, but it won't harm anything.

I use Aerospace 303 on the dash and vinyl, and Duragloss 221 on the leather. The results are really nice. Just last year I had a judge at one of the shows ask me if the interior was new!:D

I have found the the original factory finish on all interior panels can only be maintained by wiping the dash and plastic surfaces with a microfiber towel rinsed in spring water and wrung out almost dry. I mist a very tiny amount of some kind of interior vynal (never could spell vynal) cleaner just to lube a little and dissolve dust, thats it, maybe a drop more down south if a rocker gets scuffed and on kick panels and dead pedal-

It just makes the interior the way it should look- clean and neutral and for that matter, natural

Leather seating every so often gets same damp swipe with microfiber with a misting of leather conditioner, I dilute most products- just think after all their hype their bottom line is to keep you using more, running out of, and buying more product. My 05 Z51 Mag red cashmere car looks showroom with 17000 miles on it.

Armour All Or Not?
I'm brand new to Vettes (4 days!) but my neighbor, who we were out cruising with last night, has a mint '84 that he bought new and he's used nothing else but Amour All on his plastic (interior & under hood), hoses, weatherstrips. His car looks better and cleaner than a showroom car.

He won't use anything else and it hasn't caused him a problem, so...................I guess it's ok to use.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom