Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Baby at the mechanics

Corvette
1965 Coupe L76 / 1978 L82
well, I dropped my '65 off the other day at a new mechanic with a long list of items to check and work on. Mostly they were basic tune-up stuff and beginning of season maintanance stuff.
Always hesitant going to a new mechanic because of my (bad) luck finding decent ones previously but this one seems to know what he is doing.
I just spoke to him and he's run across a few unexpected problems that means I won't get my car back until the beginning of next week but that's ok as long as he manages to fix everything.

I had a LOT of problems with getting the timing correct since I got the car last year and nobody I took it to was able to get it set up correctly even though it was in 2 different shops for 5 visits and that included a complete rebuild of the distributor. Now this mechanic is sure that the problem lies with the harmonic balancer. He said it's the wrong balancer for the that motor and that when he checked the timing it was reading 54-56degrees!! It's suppossed to be around 34-36 isn't it? He said that the balancer must be off or otherwise if the timing was really that high it would run like crap and be detonating like crazy (which it isn't) which leads him to believe the problem is with the balancer so he is going to have to order in a correct one and install it.

The other problem he came across is after he installed the new battery he checked thru the charging system and discovered the alternator wasn't putting out any charge to the battery! well, that would explain why the old battery kept going dead. He hasn't figured out yet though if the problem is the alternator itself or the regulator but it looks as if at least one of them may need replacing. He also mentioned that the pulley(?) on the alternator (that the belt goes around) is undersized compared to what it should be.
Anyone know what size pulley should be on the alternator so I can confirm this?

Once he gets those two areas fixed than he can set the timing properly and than adjust my valaves and the car will be done.
He said everything else looked pretty good on the car except the carb needed a bit of adjustment and the clutch adjustment was way off but he's already adjusted both of those. I suppose the carb may need more tweaking as he gets the timing set properly though?

Have him check the alternator harness plug in. These are notorious for going bad. Just a thought.

Randy

"reading 54-56degrees!! It's suppossed to be around 34-36"

Barry,
34-36 should be total timing with vacuum can disconnected. Make sure that he's not measuring with vacuum advance connected. He needs to verify TDC of the engine matches the balancer mark/timing tab alignment. Only way to do this is with a piston stop.

Don't let him start swapping parts without isolating the problem. Timing issues can be isolated quite easily.

Brian

Brian
I understand that. One of my past mechanics had mentioned the possibility of the balancer being off last summer but since it was after the 3rd or so visit to his shop to try to get the timing correct I chalked it up to him just grasping for straws and didn't really take the suggestion too seriously. Since this mechanic now has mentioned the same thing I'm beginning to feel inclined to believe that there really may be a problem there.

Barry, Sure hope the 'nit picken' does not start again with your vette or the snow will be here before he gets done..just kidding. You deserve some road time, good luck.

yeah, would be nice to have some roadtime, but my first priority is get the car running right.
As long as everything is good for Carlisle i'll be ok
:)

Barry,

Find someone who knows what they are doing. I say that with respect. Heck, even I can do the timing with a Sears advanced light.

That damper diagnosis is probably just nonsense unless you do not have the right engine in your car.

Paul

this is the 3rd different mechanic i've had the car to since I got it and the 3rd different mechanic to ATTEMPT to fix the timing issues with it. Neither of the other mechanics were ever able to get the timing correct and now this is the second time by two of the mechanics that are mentioning the harmonic balancer. What else am I suppose to think now?
If it really is off or the wrong one than it makes sense that the timing problems hadn't been solved in the past.
There aren't that many more mechanics around her that are going to know the older cars - believe me , this has be a frustrating thing since I got the car.
The car is there and I might as well give the guy a chance - he seems to know what he is talking about when we went over the car initially and on other areas of the car he already worked on during this visit. Besides that he has done a lot of work on other older vettes and other older cars. There is a '66 C2 there getting worked on, my painter sends all the vettes he works on to this guy, he has a '68 camaro as his personal car (well, he did until last month), and there is also a "70? chevelle and a '57 Bel Air in his shop presently also so he must have a reputation for knowing how to work on these older cars. Time will tell.

I understand what you are telling me, but since I have NO abilities to work on the car myself as of yet, I have to at least give him a chance and maybe he is right.

Barry, He doesn't have to replace the balancer to figure out if the timing mark is in the wrong place. And even if by some chance it was in the wrong place he could just put a new TDC mark on the balancer that is on there to verify he is correct before installing new parts.

Barry,

First, congrats on getting your car home from the painter. Baby looks great!

Take your car back to Tony's where you bought it. Tony and Andrew will fix it right the first time guaranteed and you can trust them to do the job right. I know it's a drive but it will be worth it. 54-56 degrees sounds like total timing with vacuum connected and your mechanic should have stated that. Your L76 should be 52-54 degrees total w/vacuum. If total timing is actually 54-56 with vacuum plugged you would have heard detonation on your drive home from the paint shop.

JerryS

Jerry, welcome to CAC :CAC

how did you know my car came from Tony's?
Yep, I know Tony could fix anything on this car correct the first time around blindfolded and I would love to take it to him but the distance dosen't make it at all practical or else it would be sitting in his shop this minute.

Barry,

Hope things got sorted out! I know what you are saying about finding someone who understands these old cars. Ask a technician at a GM dealer to rebuild a Rochester Q-Jet!! I was down that road several years ago. And the road is long....

yep, it's hard Paul
this guy has about 4 or 5 other mechanics working for him at his shop but he admits he is the only one that works on any of the old cars that come into the shop as his other guys have no clue on the old cars.

Barry, I’ve actually been a lurker for some time. Fantastic forum and a great group of knowledgeable people here. Hello to all!

I know of your car because I looked at it on the lift before you picked it up from Tony. I purchased my car from Tony’s some time ago and know several others who have done the same. I do my own work but wouldn’t hesitate to take it to him if I needed help. It might be worth the trip to get it done right once. I hope this mechanic works out for you.

Barry,

Hopefully you will be on the road next week! I'm still thinking of the sound on your video but I haven't given in to the temptation of sidepipes yet....

Tomorrow is one of my favourite shows of the year at a city alongside the St. Lawrence River. The pic shows the scene a couple of years ago when I had both the 1967 and a 1979 L-82. I still have those correct ralley wheels with whitewall tires. At times I think of putting them back on just for a change.

Monday is a holiday here and on Tuesday we take possession of our new house. So it's a busy time.

BrockvilleII011.jpg

Paul
I really wanted the side pipes and KO's on my car when I was searching. I knew if I found a car I wanted that didn't have them I'd put them on. Luckily the car I founnd had the pipes and when the budget allows I'll be adding the KO's. :)
i LOVE the sound of those pipes!

good luck with the move. getting a new house is always nice but the actual move and the packing and unpacking is a real pain in butt.

Barry,

I'm taking possession on Tuesday but not moving until much later in August. (That's the reason I can't make Carlisle.) The next several weeks will be occupied with hardwood floor restoration, new fascia/soffit/roof ventilation and insulation, new roof shingles, and possibly winterization of the attached, unheated garage (now bare studwork). As well I will be having an energy audit done for possible government subsidies for a 92-94% AFUE efficient furnace. The house was built in 1966 and hasn't been upgraded since then although the home inspection revealed it to be very sound structure. I hate to say it but I'm getting ready for winter :ugh.

Needless to say, these repairs and my recent Corvette paint job are beating up on my savings account. So sidepipes are near the end of a long financial priority list at the moment.

Paul
good luck with the new house :)

as far as financial priorities, I know very well what you mean ..........a very good reason I don't have those KO's yet!

Just a suggestion when the funds free-up: get the bolt-on KOs. Much safer. Not original I know but much less aggravation. I understand that the out-sourcing to China from Corvette America is now complete and they are available again. I haven't seen examples but no doubt they will be on view at Carlisle. So you and colleagues will be there to view and later comment on quality.

Here's a pic from many years ago. Those are spinners and cones on Western Cyclone II mag wheels. The spinner sets were sold by Eckler's circa 1980. Now that I've dated myself I have to take a nappy.

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/paul79//corvetteold.jpg

That's the same car as above in the 1967/1979 that I restored to show condition. People poo-poo 1979s but I loved that car. Many happy memories. And many bloody knuckles doing my own work. But it's still pristine and tomorrow evening I hope to show pics.

mag1.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom