Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Bad Rod bearing... Now what to do

Deadlego

Corvette
1979 Corvette L82 4 spd
Well I had a bad knock in the engine. So I pulled the engine pan. I found out that the rod on the 6th piston has a bad bearing in the rod. I had play up and down. Now what should I do? Im lost on what to do with the engine............ all I can say is HELP......

P.S. you guys were right about spending over 1g in the 1st mounth on the car....

I would send the whole motor in for a full bottom end rebuild , if the bearing was bad , its likely the crank needs attention too. You can also check your pistons , rings , heads etc at the same time - fix anything that appears dodgy. At the same time , you could go for some go-faster parts if you have the inclination and the dosh.
Im pulling my motor cos i have a bad cam lobe , and want to dress it up and paint it as well as neatening up the engine bay and have decided to stroke it to a 383 at the same time (I can get a 383 stroker kit for $600)

Where are you able to get the strocker kit at??

P.S. you guys were right about spending over 1g in the 1st month on the car....
These are the times I don't like being right... ;shrug

Determine how much to get the car running first. If it's less than $500, get it fixed then get it to a dyno shop and see what kinda numbers it's doing. Then decide if you want to do anything else to the engine.
Since the engine was more or less a hybrid of various (and essentially unverified) parts, you want to know what you have before you decide to drop more money on it. It can quickly get to the point where putting money into an old block is better spent on just getting a brand new crate engine and having your current one as a back up or sell it to offset the cost of a new engine.

These are the times I don't like being right... ;shrug

Determine how much to get the car running first. If it's less than $500, get it fixed then get it to a dyno shop and see what kinda numbers it's doing. Then decide if you want to do anything else to the engine.
Since the engine was more or less a hybrid of various (and essentially unverified) parts, you want to know what you have before you decide to drop more money on it. It can quickly get to the point where putting money into an old block is better spent on just getting a brand new crate engine and having your current one as a back up or sell it to offset the cost of a new engine.
Keep in mind first before being discouraged that this is not normal. I also agree with Evo. Consider how much money it will take to fix as opposed to buying a new crate motor w/warranty!!!

well i needed to be running so. I got a junkyard 5.7L 350 now im not sure what the engine out of but from the block casting it should 200 + in hp so. I cant read the stamp pad. some numbers are unknow. I have the engine installed and its runs. Im going to save up some and go from there.

well i needed to be running so. I got a junkyard 5.7L 350 now im not sure what the engine out of but from the block casting it should 200 + in hp so.
Hope ya didn't pay more than a couple hundred for it ;shrug...But at least you are running.

I believe a 6" harmonic balancer = 2 bolt main and 8" = 4 bolt main.

Well I got the engine for $400 with a 30 day warrenty.

I will see what size it is. Then engine still has some balls. It will still spin the tires and slide the car. So its not too bad. Its mostly low rpm.... but I think cast intake. So I might swith to the torker 2 intake I have.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom