Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

battery/heat problem???

B

bparsleyfl

Hi folks ... I had a problem pop up this weekend that I was hoping someone might be able to help with:

I have an '82 that hasn't given me too many problems regarding the battery, but yesterday I was driving it quite a bit in the middle of the day and it was pretty hot outside. I stopped at a gas station to fill up, and when I got back in the car a couple of minutes later, the car wouldn't start. I would turn the key and ... nothing. The battery seemed to have enough juice to run everything on the car but not enough to start it. Anyway, about an hour had passed after waiting for a ride back to my house to get jumper cables and getting back to my car, and I tried the ignition to see if anything would happen. The car started right up. I just drove home at that point, and right after stopping the car, I started it up again with no problem. Probably 10 minutes later I tried to start the car again ... not enough power. I took the battery out to charge it ... my charger showed it at about 50%. Just a few minutes later I checked the charger and the battery was at 100%. (?) Much later I put the battery back in the car and so far I haven't had a problem. But almost the same thing happened a few weeks ago, this time at night: I was in line at a drive-thru that was kinda backed up a ways, so I was stopped and idling for quite a while before getting my food. I would say about 25 minutes passed between first pulling up and finally pulling off. Something under the hood started making a squeaking noise (maybe a belt) as I was pulling off, and it kept making that noise until I stopped. I got out and looked under the hood (not that I would know what to look for!) and then got back into the car. Wouldn't start. No power. Luckily I was with a friend at the time and he drove me to Wal-Mart where I figured I would just buy a new battery just so I could move the car. Turns out they didn't have the one I needed, so we went back to the car. About 15 minutes had passed. The car started right up. So it seems like whenever the car gets really hot, the battery loses power and can't start the car, but once it cools off, the car starts right up. What is happening here? And is there a way to fix it? The battery is probably 6 months old and the alternater is only a couple of months old. Someone suggested to me yesterday that the alternater might be overcharging the battery, making the fluid inside boil, and then when it cools it goes back to normal. That's the first time I have ever heard of such a thing. Sorry to make this so long, but any advice y'all can give will be appreciated!!!

Have the battery checked for a Bad Cell. Next your problem may be related to heat soak on the starter. The starter gets hot and doesnt have the power to crank her over, then she cools and your good to go... Good Luck.....

Rich80 said:
your problem may be related to heat soak on the starter. The starter gets hot and doesnt have the power to crank her over, then she cools and your good to go... Good Luck.....

Rich nailed it. Probably nothing at all to do with the battery.

When an older GM starter gets too hot, it works poorly (if at all). Once it cools back down, it returns to normal.

If it was just cranking slow, I'd suggest adding a heat shield and seeing if that solves it. But if it won't crank at all, it probably needs to be replaced.

You can either go with a direct replacement, or a small-case starter. There are a number of people who feel that the small-case starter, since it's case is that much further away from the hot exahaust manifold, will last much longer.

Whichever route you go, adding a heat shield at the same time is cheap insurance against future problems.

Joe

fluid inside boil (?), as opposed to just bubbling?

Overcharging may lower the water level in the cell(s). Some of the newer batteries still allow careful access to the cells.

Seeing as his problem started after replacing both the alternator and the battery, I 'd look there first. Besides, both are rather easy to check. It'd be good to know why those things were done, too. I rely on a specialty shop to do these checks, as Sears and others have replaced too many batteries that were not bad.

Ensure your replacement battery is right for your car. If you can access the cells, each should be near 2.2 vDC.
OR, with a hygrometer:
Fully Charged 1.26-1.28 specific gravity
3/4 1.23-1.25
1/2 1.20-1.22
1/4 1.17-1.19

Most rebuilt electrical parts are minimally rebuilt and do not last all that long. I understand Delco is having their stuff redone in Mexico, with what? Chinese parts? I use a local builder hat checks out and totally replaces all wear parts, not just those that have failed. He uses American made parts, which cost only a slight amount more, but have a large and obvious quality advantage.

Perhaps remanufactured parts are done similarly.

Check your connections, too. They should be tight and corrosion free. A small amount of Vasoline or other light lube can prevent corrosion on battery terminals.

The cables should be in good condition.

Failing solutions above, your starter or solenoid may be failing and showing it under the heated conditions.

:wMike:v

Interestingly, I am having the same issue with the new small Nippon Denso starter, new wires, a new alternator and a new Optima battery (2nd in 12 months).

A hot start problem means you have a problem with the solenoid not the starter. The problem is with the spring in he solenoid. Unfortunatly I have lost the part # for the spring. Any good counter person at your chevy parts dept. can get the spring for you. It is an optional spring. I changed mine 6 years ago because I was having the same problem. For the last 2 years I have been running headers, the right side runs VERY close to the starter. I still do not have a hot start problem.

I had a very similar problem that was driving me nuts:crazy :crazy :crazy I did all kinds of things trying to repair the problem. Then I installed a gear reduction starter and solved the problem. Starts great now :bu

Save the Wave :w

I had a similar problem when my engine got hot. Turned key, no sound, just silence, although I had lights and power from the battery. When this occured, the starter never cranked the engine over. I checked the ignition, wiring and ground cables. All were good. When the problem first occured I rebuilt the starter and it needed it, but the problem continued.
In my case it was a starter heat soak problem. I replaced the regular starter with a permanent magnet gear reduction starter, also known as a high torque mini starter. All is well. Good luck.

I might as well add my self to the "same problem" catogory. My starter did the same thing...when hot no start. I replaced the starter and everything is good now.

If you really want to test the theory. Next time it does it get a friend to turn the key and tap the starter with a hammer...of it cranks at all its a bad starter of solenoid.

Jim

I had a similar problem on my 79. i was losing voltage to the starter after it got hot. new starter and battery and she was charging at 14.5v. i did two things cleaned up the wires going to the starter (some wires where cut and twisted together and taped over) and on a suggestion from a member i cleaned up the main harness connector at the firewall. when i unpluged the harness the connectors where covered with a black tar like substance. ive driven the car 3 times since then and no problems yet.

I had a similar problem..... Actually still have the heat soak problem!
Last year I replaced the started harness with new OEM harness and installed a sandwich heat shield; problem solved until last week and a few times since. I moved the reduction gear mini starter to the top of my needs list; the aluimium radiator will have to wait now - I hope!
It has been around 110 in Phx the last few days and I am still fighting high running temps, the heat soak just adds to the problem!:mad
Good luck on yours!

High Torque Mini Starter...

Since I installed the high torque mini starter, I have not had any problems. Granted, NJ is a bit cooler than AZ, but I would give that mini a go. I wish I had known about it sooner.

Good Luck!

I had a similar problem..... Actually still have the heat soak problem!
Last year I replaced the started harness with new OEM harness and installed a sandwich heat shield; problem solved until last week and a few times since. I moved the reduction gear mini starter to the top of my needs list; the aluimium radiator will have to wait now - I hope!
It has been around 110 in Phx the last few days and I am still fighting high running temps, the heat soak just adds to the problem!:mad
Good luck on yours!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom