Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Battery light and Choke light always on

Dood1

I installed a new alternator and now the battery light and the choke light are on when the engine is running. If I rev it up some the choke light goes out, and if I take it up to 4000 rpm or more the battery light gets dimmer but never really goes out. The alternator seems to be charging fine and it's a pretty new battery. I put a voltmeter on it and at 2000 rpm it's putting out 13.6 volts, so the alternator is good. I also have a strange buzzing sound at idle that seems to be coming from behind the dash, around where the radio is, but I'm not sure. I never had this noise before.
When my old alternator went bad the battery light was on only when the car was not running and the ignition was in the off position. Once the car started, the battery light went out, even though the alt. wasn't charging.
One other thing, the new alternator has a slightly larger pulley than the old one, about 1/4 inch, but I figured it wouldn't matter much, it would just under drive the alt a little bit, and as long as I kept it around 2000rpm for a while it would be fine. Any ideas what's going on here?

Turned out the new alternator had a bad diode set. Still put out a charge, just not properly rectified. Another new alternator solved the problem.

Very helpful memorandum...

:w Thanks for the follow-up information, --will prove very helpful to a present or future like problem among the flock... ~B.vH

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom