Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Important! Big problem with my 92 Corvette, does not start! Security lights blinking! HELP!! SOS

Contact MSD with this problem. If it will not connect to your car then it is the wrong unit. If there is an adapter MSD should have it. DO NOT TRY TO ADAPT THIS YOURSELF. MSD needs to help you get the right unit with the right connectors.

Contact MSD with this problem. If it will not connect to your car then it is the wrong unit. If there is an adapter MSD should have it. DO NOT TRY TO ADAPT THIS YOURSELF. MSD needs to help you get the right unit with the right connectors.
the man from ebay who sell me my distributor told me that:Dear beautiful_collection_things,92 Corvette uses a different connector on the harness, only way is to change the connector. I have a 92 Corvette with the MSD unit, and I just cut the connector off my old harness and changed it.- joemama2and he told me that he will use one of their experts to explain me better how can i put my distributor to work :)

the man from ebay who sell me my distributor told me that:Dear beautiful_collection_things,92 Corvette uses a different connector on the harness, only way is to change the connector. I have a 92 Corvette with the MSD unit, and I just cut the connector off my old harness and changed it.- joemama2and he told me that he will use one of their experts to explain me better how can i put my distributor to work :)
Im ready! look what we need to do when we need to put an MSD distributor in a 92 corvette!David,You really need to solder the wires, if you butt connect them, you chance it getting loose. Once you cut the wire on the MSD, MSD will not warranty the distributor.All the wires are the same, pin to pin. The PIN locations are very small and are cast into the plastic connector. They are the same on the 4-pin connector as the 6-pin, so you should not be confused.Pin 1 on the MSD (brown/yellow wire) goes to Pin A (Blk/red wire) on harnessPin 2 on the MSD (brown/orange wire) goes to Pin B (purple/white wire) on harnessPin 3 on the MSD (red wire) goes to Pin C (yellow wire) on the harnessPin 4 on the MSD (red/black wire) goes to Pin D (black/pink wire) on the harnessA PDF file is also e-mailed for reference.Information will ALWAYS be usefull :)If my problem was the distributor, tomorrow you will know guys...

Im ready! look what we need to do when we need to put an MSD distributor in a 92 corvette!David,You really need to solder the wires, if you butt connect them, you chance it getting loose. Once you cut the wire on the MSD, MSD will not warranty the distributor.All the wires are the same, pin to pin. The PIN locations are very small and are cast into the plastic connector. They are the same on the 4-pin connector as the 6-pin, so you should not be confused.Pin 1 on the MSD (brown/yellow wire) goes to Pin A (Blk/red wire) on harnessPin 2 on the MSD (brown/orange wire) goes to Pin B (purple/white wire) on harnessPin 3 on the MSD (red wire) goes to Pin C (yellow wire) on the harnessPin 4 on the MSD (red/black wire) goes to Pin D (black/pink wire) on the harnessA PDF file is also e-mailed for reference.Information will ALWAYS be usefull :)If my problem was the distributor, tomorrow you will know guys...
Hello guys!!!new MSD distributor, new MSD coil, new walbro granatelli motorsports 255lph fuel pump, new ecm, new memcal, new tps, and guess what?NOTHING HAPPENED!....The car just dont start... now the spark is amazing.. the spark has super spark... now the spark plugs have spark, now what? the car has enough fuel, enought spark, why does not start? cranks but dont start....Im almost at the point to remove that engine... that harness and thought it to the trash and put an AMG engine there..... im just pissed off.Now the car says ``C12´´ code... EVERYTHING PERFECT... now, WHY IF EVERYTHING IS PERFECT WHY THE CAR DOES NOT START????im just too much dissapointed of my car... i cant enjoy it... i have spended more than 5.000$ on him and nothing happens....with the old distributor, the car starts, a few days ago, dont start and the spark plugs does not have spark.. for that reason i changed the distributor. And now, the same, dont starts.....i really love my car, i love that car! the look, the color, everything is just amazing.... but that failure... keeps me hating it at a super high level.... i just dont know whats happening... on monday or tuesday im going to call my friend with the GM scanner to see if the scan detects something wrong.. i hope so, and right now i dont have hopes yet... im just... dissapointed...

Its up to you what you do with this car. If it were mine I would not accept that anything I had done was right. I would also not assume that the new parts were all good either. (Had a new car last week that was only 4 weeks old go dead and could not get it to run. The culprit the brand new from the factory battery was bad.) The moral to that is parts do not fix the problem sometimes they just add to it. As earlier stated check the grounds all of them this was the advice of GMJunkie who was the only one to resurrect a vett that had been lightning struck he also works on them daily for his living and has for 35 years. Since you continually keep buying parts you need to look for a new wiring harness which are available. Many of the people who use corvette parts to build a hot rod buy new harness's rather than trying to use the old decaying one from the car. As for me I am sorry that I can not provide any more suggestions on what is causing your problem. I had a BMW motorcycle which uses a very similar ignition system to the Corvette burn the wires in the harness and I carefully one wire at a time checked each wire and repaired it and the bike has been running for 3 years now. When it shorted out the only wires it melted were the ground wires they were burned through the wires next to them had the insulation burned off. I wish you success with this car but Again go back to the beginning and approach it as if nothing is good and everything has to be checked. If the plugs do not fire it is because the ecm is not getting the right signals from the sensors to activate the ignition. Think of it this way. If you have a light fixture(Plugs) that will not light the bulb and you get a new bulb and it still does not light and you try another new bulb and it does not work what is needed to make the light lite. Electricity is what is needed and how do you get electricity to the bulb. You get it there with the wire from the wall socket. So now you check the wire to make sure it has continuity and it does not. But if you did not check the wires you might say the electrical panel(ECM) is bad and replace it and still not be able to lite the light because you still have not checked the wires for the electricity to go from the electrical panel to the light bulb.

Its up to you what you do with this car. If it were mine I would not accept that anything I had done was right. I would also not assume that the new parts were all good either. (Had a new car last week that was only 4 weeks old go dead and could not get it to run. The culprit the brand new from the factory battery was bad.) The moral to that is parts do not fix the problem sometimes they just add to it. As earlier stated check the grounds all of them this was the advice of GMJunkie who was the only one to resurrect a vett that had been lightning struck he also works on them daily for his living and has for 35 years. Since you continually keep buying parts you need to look for a new wiring harness which are available. Many of the people who use corvette parts to build a hot rod buy new harness's rather than trying to use the old decaying one from the car. As for me I am sorry that I can not provide any more suggestions on what is causing your problem. I had a BMW motorcycle which uses a very similar ignition system to the Corvette burn the wires in the harness and I carefully one wire at a time checked each wire and repaired it and the bike has been running for 3 years now. When it shorted out the only wires it melted were the ground wires they were burned through the wires next to them had the insulation burned off. I wish you success with this car but Again go back to the beginning and approach it as if nothing is good and everything has to be checked. If the plugs do not fire it is because the ecm is not getting the right signals from the sensors to activate the ignition. Think of it this way. If you have a light fixture(Plugs) that will not light the bulb and you get a new bulb and it still does not light and you try another new bulb and it does not work what is needed to make the light lite. Electricity is what is needed and how do you get electricity to the bulb. You get it there with the wire from the wall socket. So now you check the wire to make sure it has continuity and it does not. But if you did not check the wires you might say the electrical panel(ECM) is bad and replace it and still not be able to lite the light because you still have not checked the wires for the electricity to go from the electrical panel to the light bulb.
Thanks John....now im very sad with that car, very demoralized, 5 mechanics and no fix...everything new and same problem.... i think im going to do what you say, im going to buy a new harness. if not, i will buy a carburator and i will burn all that electrical things only to feel a little bit better. The problem with the car is that is too many touched, and bad touched with HORRIBLE BAD MECHANICS....so, many wires are in bad condition, but works. Many things broken by persons or mechanics that dont use his head to know ``how to remove it´´, so, i think this is the problem, but, knowing whats bad is the real deal here...because that car is a little bit complicated, has too many electrical things....this is the only harness i found on ebay (where i buy everything)1992 Corvette Engine Harness LT1 Manual 6 Speed | eBay used, but the seller told me is in good working condition and tested, i want it new, but i dont know where to find it, and find it at good price.the harness is the last shoot i will do. because everything is new, ECM, fuel pump, ignition module, coil, distributor, etc.. and EVERYTHING the best of the best... MSD, walbro, etc...My goal with this car is make it like 600hp or something... but i cant if the car does not run, so i need to make it run first...Another thing, i would like to buy all the sensors, new, where i can find it? and its cheap?

Do a google search for corvette replacement wiring harness.  Here is just one option

Summit Racing

Or another place to contact.
93 1993 Chevrolet Corvette Engine Wiring Harness - Engine Electrical - MSD - PartsGeek

thanks my friend, i send emails to painless wiring and they told me the painless wiring has no VATS delete system, is correct, but you must install another ECM, and another stuff to get the car working well, and they told me i need to make working the cluster, with a manual he sends.

i think is too much problem.

my mechanic told me that can be the camshaft sensor or cam sensor, that i need to replace it both.

he told me that in the cherokees, when that sensor fails, the car has everything to start but dont start, same problem than me.

i want to know WHERE are located that sensors, to disarm it and buy it.

anyone knows where are located?

thanks!

thanks my friend, i send emails to painless wiring and they told me the painless wiring has no VATS delete system, is correct, but you must install another ECM, and another stuff to get the car working well, and they told me i need to make working the cluster, with a manual he sends.

i think is too much problem.

my mechanic told me that can be the camshaft sensor or cam sensor, that i need to replace it both.

he told me that in the cherokees, when that sensor fails, the car has everything to start but dont start, same problem than me.

i want to know WHERE are located that sensors, to disarm it and buy it.

anyone knows where are located?

thanks!

My friends!!!!

I FOUND THE PROBLEM!!!!!

Its almost impossible to believe, but here is the story...

I discovered testing... like a MIRACLE!!

My problem non start car, was a bad thing in the fuel pump, i replace it and now starts, but in 1 second turns off, if you accelerate it pumping, the car keep starts like in this video (me is in that video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JL4b0f9lsB4

p
ut it in full volume to hear.

Okay, now, testing.. i just take off the MEMCAL of the ECM, i turn on the car and guess what?

THE CAR STAYS ON AND PERFECTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Today i use my car ALL DAY without memcal... and perfect! because fans are activated all the time and the ride is cool :D

Now, without memcal, i dont know at what speed im going, because is in 0, andddd, my car dont accelerate more than 3.000rpms....

Now, im using my car like this... and PERFECT, but i want to fix it to use my more than 300hp like in the past...

Another quote, I HIGHLY RECOMENDS WALBRO GRANATELLI MOTORSPORT 255LPH FUEL PUMP, AND MSD COMPLETE DISTRIBUTOR! Even if i cant pass 3.000rpms, the car is a beast!! I can do burnouts too! The car changes completely....

Any ideas whats wrong? :w

Hello Guys!!!

Im using my car without memcal every day, and perfect! i Cant pass 3.000rpm and i dont know what speed im going but everything is working perfect! im using it daily because i blown my acura´s engine :-( now the acura is in the workshop!

Now, i connect the memcal with the ECM, and the car starts, and everything perfect, but, if you dont accelerate it, it will turns off. THATS ALL THE PROBLEM!

Withouth memcal car starts perfect and runs perfect, but, i cant pass 3.000rpm and i dont know at what speed im going and the car sometimes burns gasoline and has a smell, nothing important.

Now i give to you my friends a little gift, a burnout in my vette WITHOUT PASSING 3.000RPM because i cant! And look at what my toy can do at 3.000rpm!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gkq-sVD5OvQ

N
ow it has new tires, and i dont know if im gonna do this again :)

Thanks everybody for his help, if i dont gonna get here, my car was in the workshop with 2 tons of dust, now, is working, not perfect, but we are better :)

Hello Guys!!!

Im using my car without memcal every day, and perfect! i Cant pass 3.000rpm and i dont know what speed im going but everything is working perfect! im using it daily because i blown my acura´s engine :-( now the acura is in the workshop!

Now, i connect the memcal with the ECM, and the car starts, and everything perfect, but, if you dont accelerate it, it will turns off. THATS ALL THE PROBLEM!

Withouth memcal car starts perfect and runs perfect, but, i cant pass 3.000rpm and i dont know at what speed im going and the car sometimes burns gasoline and has a smell, nothing important.

Now i give to you my friends a little gift, a burnout in my vette WITHOUT PASSING 3.000RPM because i cant! And look at what my toy can do at 3.000rpm!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gkq-sVD5OvQ

N
ow it has new tires, and i dont know if im gonna do this again :)

Thanks everybody for his help, if i dont gonna get here, my car was in the workshop with 2 tons of dust, now, is working, not perfect, but we are better :)

Hello my friends!!!

I think nobody here likes my video :-(

well... im now buying the wiring harness of the engine, but i cant find one at good price.

I only find PAINLESS wiring, but that does not work to my car because that wiring is to put a 92 corvette engine in an old car, in a few words.

I need the original, and new, because i dont want to have any doubts in the future...

Please anybody can help me find it? :):w

Thanks

404 Errorhis looks to be a direct replacement for your harness.

Speed Scene Chevrolet LT1 350 383 Wiring Harness New | eBayhis looks like what you need also.

Have you checked the Tachometer for accuracy? Looking at the video it looks more like something is acting as a rev limiter. I don't remember if you replaced the ECM but if you did it may have been programmed with one in it.

404 Errorhis looks to be a direct replacement for your harness.

Speed Scene Chevrolet LT1 350 383 Wiring Harness New | eBayhis looks like what you need also.

Have you checked the Tachometer for accuracy? Looking at the video it looks more like something is acting as a rev limiter. I don't remember if you replaced the ECM but if you did it may have been programmed with one in it.

Hi John!

Yes, i replace my ECM! My memcal is new, my MSD distributor is new, my MSD coil is new, starting module new, etc....

But, the problem now is almost amazing.

The car starts WITHOUT memcal, and runs fine!

If i put the memcal, the car starts, but if i dont accelerate it, it will turn off, and with the memcal it pass the 3.000rpm, you can rev it to the maximum 6.000, so... i dont know if its a sensor, i dont know.

Another thing, without memcal, the TPS and IAC dont works, i know that because i disconnect it and the car dont fail, is the same.

We are more close of the failure :)

And thanks for the harness but i check this and this will not work for me, this harness is for 94 to 96, look at the ECM connectors :-( i can pay 500$ for a harness, brand new! even a little bit more :)

OK so what you are calling the mem cal is now called the prom(programmable read only memory). When you put the new ecm in did you use the old prom for the new ecm or did you get a new prom. If you are using the old prom the previous owner may have used a computer to reprogram it. By the same logic if you got a new prom it may be programmed wrong.

lOOP STATUS - Tech 1 ~isplays Open or Closed -
"Closed Loop" displayed indicates that the ECM is
controlling fuel delivery according to oxygen sensor
voltage. In "Open Loop," the ECM ignores the oxygen
sensor voltage and bases the amount of fuel to be
delivered on TP sensor, engine coolant, and MAP
sensor inputs only.

As for the car running with the tps disconnected. Looking at how the ecm controls open and closed loop operation you can see that in open loop the ecm ignores the tps etc. So I would guess that you car is running in closed loop all the time.

Look at my last post and click on the 404 to go to another site for the wiring harness

I absolutely agree with you. All he needs to know is it's bad whatever it is called. And I would not bet that the new ecm he has is any good.

Thanks John!

But, look at that:

With my old ECM, i had an HYPERTECH chip with the memcal, the memcal connects to the hypertech, if you look at google you will see this.

Okay, with ONLY the memcal the car dont start, in the past, with the hypertech starts! (when he wants)

Now, i have a NEW ECM, and a NEW Memcal! Yes! the car do THE SAME THING with my old hypertech and with my new memcal.

So, i think the problem is not the memcal or the ECM, i think the problem is another stuff.

With the memcal, the car acts like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JL4b0f9lsB4

T
his is my car, with the memcal, if i dont accelerate pumping, the car just turns off. This is my failure now, without the memcal, EVERYTHING PERFECT!

Now the car ALWAYS starts :)

So, this is my problem now, the code 41? was a coil wire broken (inside) for that reason no mechanic can do with the past failure.

Well, now the car throws the code C12, that means EVERYTHING IS PERFECT! And throws that code even when i start the car and i bridge the computer connector with the car ON starting throwing the codes, with the car off, same thing. So, how can the computer can tell me everything is OK when the car fail like that? So, i think an electronic stuff is almost broken but not totally and is working parcially, and for that reason the car throws me ``everythings perfect´´. Im not a mechanic, is just my opinion.:ugh

Well im here, can anybody here try with his car starting the car without memcal? to see if the car starts without the memcal only to see this...

Now we are closer to the failure, if i fix my failure here, YOU PEOPLE ARE GENIUS! :happyanim:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom