Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Billiy Boat Corvette?

David Gordon

Corvette
2001 Silver Coupe./2008 Crystel Red Met.
Billy Boat Corvette?

This guy down the street from me has this 99 hardtop, that he tells me is a very rare BillyBoat special edition. He is an older Gentleman and I hate to tell him I think he was suckered.
I finally saw his car yesterday and it is a plainjane 99 frc car. The dealer told him it had a special exhast, a built in rollcage, a special stereo, special wheels, and no governer.
What I saw was a regular production car. He told me it cost quite a bit more than a regular vette. I looked at it and it has the 97 production wheels, a single disk GM cd player(not even Bose) No rollcage although he said it was built in and you couldnt see it. A stock exhast from the motor back. I told him no Corvette had a governer and that I had mine to 175 mph with just a Blackwing. He told me then that it wasnt the speed governer that he remebered it was the engine rev. limiter. He said he had had it to 5k rpms a few times already. This guy is a really nice man and looks to be a distiungished gentleman, do I bust his bubble or leave it alone?

That is a tough one...

I think that he should know the truth, but learn it in a gentle way. Perhaps some literature or a quiet private talk, but I don't know...

I agree with DRTH VTR - it is a tough one. Call me a softy - but I'd just leave it alone.

Say did I tell you guys that my vette was the only Quicksilver 6-speed convertible with black interior and a black top with a Z51 and all available options produced on the afternoon of December 14th, 2001? Yep she's pretty rare.

Remo

When the FRC came out it was made to be a entry level inexpensive Vette, considering you got the 6 speed incluced. It got the red neck nic name Billy Bob Corvette because it was the lowest priced model. No roll cage either. The Bose radio was a option along with other things that were standard on the Coupe and Vert. BTW he was suckered. Tell him nicely before someone really lets into him.

B/STOCK said:
When the FRC came out it was made to be a entry level inexpensive Vette, considering you got the 6 speed incluced. It got the red neck nic name Billy Bob Corvette because it was the lowest priced model. No roll cage either. The Bose radio was a option along with other things that were standard on the Coupe and Vert. BTW he was suckered. Tell him nicely before someone really lets into him.

Billy Boat- Billy Bob-
You could be right on that one!

I think you may be right, it may be a Billy Bob.
This guy said the dealer told him his was a race ready car and was the fastest they made. I asked him if he wanted to take a ride in mine, he declined and never conceided that mine may be faster.

David Gordon said:
I think you may be right, it may be a Billy Bob.
This guy said the dealer told him his was a race ready car and was the fastest they made. I asked him if he wanted to take a ride in mine, he declined and never conceided that mine may be faster.

The only thing that would make it any faster is it weighed around 100 lbs less than the Coupe and Vert. I am surprised that a dealer would refer to it as a "Billy Bob" because that was a degrading name for the FRC. It denoted it as being cheap and marketed toward the trailer park crowd. If I were him I would pay the dealer a visit with the facts. Dealers :eyerole

B/STOCK said:
The only thing that would make it any faster is it weighed around 100 lbs less than the Coupe and Vert. I am surprised that a dealer would refer to it as a "Billy Bob" because that was a degrading name for the FRC. It denoted it as being cheap and marketed toward the trailer park crowd. If I were him I would pay the dealer a visit with the facts. Dealers :eyerole

Im not sure I have ever seen a Vette parked outside a Doublewide before,lol

pizzano said:
Im not sure I have ever seen a Vette parked outside a Doublewide before,lol
Come to Visit North Carolina I can Show ya 3-4 and 1-3 Parked by Single Wides!!;LOL ;LOL ;LOL :rotfl

Stock exhast, same as all 99s I have seen.

David Gordon said:
Stock exhast, same as all 99s I have seen.

It's a Billy Bob, believe me guys. Some car rag gave it that nic name when it was intoduced and the name stuck.

B/STOCK said:
It's a Billy Bob, believe me guys. Some car rag gave it that nic name when it was intoduced and the name stuck.

probably the nitwits at motor trend, if it isnt euro they dont like it:L

bossvette said:

You noticed that too.

bossvette said:

The Billy Bob name was in "All Corvettes Are Red", implying that it came from within the GM/Chevy/Corvette group itself.

vett boy said:
I'd leave him with his fantasy.Whats the harm?

The only harm is someone is going to tell him and they might not be very nice about it. He could also lose a bet and some $$$$$$$. Don't forget, it's not if someone tells him, it's when. Help him not make a fool of himself and break it to him gently. I know if it was my car I would appreciate a heads up. Just like if I had bad breath, I would rather have a friend tell me.

vett boy said:
I'd leave him with his fantasy.Whats the harm?
Do not bust the guys bubble. He has already lost his $$$ on this deal. The old fellow is not likely to go off racing other Vettes for money and even if he does he could come up against an old rag like Thunder that would happily rip the guts out of a shiny new ZO6… There are a lot of old Vettes out there with ¼ ton of torque and serious attitude.

Here is what I would do. Get all of the local Corvette/Chevy owners, local club, etc., together and pay a visit to the dealer. Find out the name of the salesman and closer and have a friendly chat with the owner. Tell him that he can either make it right or never expect any business is his sales or service dept. from your group. Then get the local paper, they will print anything, to do a story about local car dealers taking advantage of nice old guys.

No the dealer is not going to admit any guilt but I will guarantee that the salesman will get a proper A$$ chewing.

SPANISHVETTS said:
Here is what I would do. Get all of the local Corvette/Chevy owners, local club, etc., together and pay a visit to the dealer. Find out the name of the salesman and closer and have a friendly chat with the owner. Tell him that he can either make it right or never expect any business is his sales or service dept. from your group. Then get the local paper, they will print anything, to do a story about local car dealers taking advantage of nice old guys.

No the dealer is not going to admit any guilt but I will guarantee that the salesman will get a proper A$$ chewing.

If it can be Proved!! In North Carolina They will Take His Salesman's License and he Can be Libel for 3 TIMES the Purchase Price!! And the Dealer will Be Run through the Ringer!! They WILL Crawl UP there BUTT with a MICROSCOPE!!! THERE GETT'N TOUGH on that Kinda Thing!!:upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom