Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Bird droppings?????

Bernievw

Corvette
Magnetic Red 2005 Z51 Coupe
Someone please help me. I took my new C6 out last week, and left it parked for several hours. When I came back, a bird left a present right in the middle of the Mag red hood. I took it home and washed it carefully, but the gunk etched into the waxed surface just enough so that if you catch the light right, you can see this spot that measures about an inch and a half across. Is there a Meguiar's product I can use to restore the surface?

Lucky it was a small bird. Several years ago I parked a (different) ride in the lot, and a seagull (we're near Lake Michigan) perched on one of the outside rear view mirrors - just about destroyed the whole driver's door.

Anyway - Will someone tell me what to do?? (Besides carrying a 12 guage).
Thanks.

I was parked in a lot at a local hot dog shop on Easter this year... we were looking for a place to get a bite to eat. Everyone was closed... so my buddy and I were side by side in the vettes discussing the issue. He was in his dad's 2002 Pewter Vert. Out of the corner of my eye I saw something fall... it made a loud crack... very loud. I thought someone had thrown a stone at us, and it hit one of the cars. As I looked to where I saw the object, I saw a pile of bird dropping had landed right next to my buddy's arm.... on the top of the door sil, just under the rubber window trim. Another half inch and it would have gone between the window sash, or missed the car completely!

As for what to do about the stain... have you tried some pre-cleaner wax? That should take out any bad stuff. You could also try a clay bar, then polish over that.

Ahhhh birds. You can't tell me that was accidental.

Mike

Like people said, start out light and hopefully that'll fix it. If not, you have to step it up. A cleaner/wax would be pretty light, as would the Meguiar's Body Scrub or Deep Crystal Step 1. Hopefully this will be all you need.

Bird crap can be pretty mild or it can be really devastating... Good thing you got it off quickly, though. :)

Years ago, a girl my wife and I know asked me if I new of anything that would remove bird droppings from her car since it was always parked under trees at her house. I thought for a minute and said, "yeah, go to our local auto parts store and ask Don (the owner, whom I knew very well at the time) for a product called "Bird S*&t Remover". He'll know exactly what your talking about!"
Our dear friend proceeds to said auto parts store, asks for poor ol unsuspecting Don and tells him she needs "Bird S*&t Remover". Well, after Don and the rest of the employees get up off the floor from laughing, my dear friend calls to inform me that there is no such thing, that she finally figured I pulled one on her when everyone started laughing. I kinda felt bad, figuring I ambarrassed her a little, so I told her to bring her car (a Mustang) back to my house and I'd clean it up for her. Thankfully, she's a good sport and has a good sense of humor.

If you think thats good, wait til you hear what I did to my wife (before we got married) when her oil light came on!!!

You will never get it out. Had an Acura RSX brand new and it stayed with me for 2 years(bird s@#$ that is). Wet sanding might be the only way and if anyone finds out how to do it i would like to know . I also got one of those spots on my vette. I think bird s@#$ messes up the clear coat and that is why it is visible.

gmjunkie said:
Well Damn it, Let's hear it!!;LOL ;LOL ;LOL gmjunkie!!

Well...OK...you twisted my arm.

Before we were married, my wife stopped by the house one morning. I was getting the old vette ready for a show or something. She gets out of her car (1984 Cavalier) and has a perplexed look on her face. I asked her what was wrong. She replies that she thinks she has an electrical problem. I asked to show what was wrong. She starts the car and her "oil" light comes on and won't go out. She asks if it was an easy fix. Of course it is, but I wasn't about to let on just how easy it is.
So I checked her oil, which was about a quart and half low. I told to go to the auto parts store (same one in the above story with the same owner. By now he gets nervous when he hear's that I sent someone there!) and ask Don for Pennzoil 10 weight 40 Oil Light Disapater(sic). You'll need 2 bottles. The whole time she's gone, I'm laughing to myself.
Well, sweetie comes back after a half hour and is PI$$ed :mad when she finds out it was plain old motor oil she had to get!!!! And to make matters worse, she see's I have half a case in the garage! She finally clamed down.
It's been 21 years since I pulled that stunt on her and she's just now getting to the point where she'll crack a smile when that story comes up. And I'm finally at the point where I can tell that story and the nervous eye twitch doesn't happen anymore!!!

avacorvette said:
You will never get it out. Had an Acura RSX brand new and it stayed with me for 2 years(bird s@#$ that is). Wet sanding might be the only way and if anyone finds out how to do it i would like to know . I also got one of those spots on my vette. I think bird s@#$ messes up the clear coat and that is why it is visible.
It depends on a lot of things. But bird crap can definitely etch the clearcoat. Removing it as soon as possible is very important. It may be that his case of bird crap isn't as bad and can be remedied. Every bird poop doesn't ruin the paint. :)

To be more on topic with the thread, I've had some stubborn bird droppings on my cars before, but can't recall them leaving a permanent mark though.
However, I worked with a guy who chewed tabacco. He thought it would be really funny to "spit" on the trunk of my just polished black Monte Carlo SS.

That "CRAP" left a permanent stain on my trunk lid!!!! I swear it ate away some of the clearcoat!

Removing Birdcrap

I feel for you. A few weeks back, I was driving my well-polished daily driver to come out to the nastiest looking birdcrap attack a hood has ever seen. (Luckily this has never happened to my corvette!) One of the spots near the center totally etched into my clearcoat despite me being very careful while removing it. When cleaned, you could look at the hood and see an etched out "haze" the size of a half dollar appearing as if it was floating on the depth of the polished clear coat (if that makes sense...it's the best way I could think to explain it...).

I tried polishing it out by hand with a product from the local AutoZone, but it didn't help. However, I ended up fixing it by using a Porter Cable Dual Action Orbital along with some Menzerna Intensive Polish, Finishing Polish and Glaze. I didn't really expect it to work as this was the worst clear coat etching that I'd personally ever seen.

So, there's hope yet, Bernie! And if you don't want to do it yourself, or if it's too tough for a dual action polisher, I bet you can take it to any good shop and they'll get it out with a circular polisher.

-J.

Bernievw said:
Someone please help me. I took my new C6 out last week, and left it parked for several hours. When I came back, a bird left a present right in the middle of the Mag red hood. I took it home and washed it carefully, but the gunk etched into the waxed surface just enough so that if you catch the light right, you can see this spot that measures about an inch and a half across. Is there a Meguiar's product I can use to restore the surface?

Lucky it was a small bird. Several years ago I parked a (different) ride in the lot, and a seagull (we're near Lake Michigan) perched on one of the outside rear view mirrors - just about destroyed the whole driver's door.

Anyway - Will someone tell me what to do?? (Besides carrying a 12 guage).
Thanks.

Thanks for the info! I have a good polisher - I just wondered what product to use on this car. This is the first really nice car I've had since I bought a new AMX in 1968. Kids and college will do that.

Couple of days ago, I stopped at one of the local mega-malls. Seagulls everywhere (Lake Michigan's real close) because of all the dummies who throw food out in the lot. When I came out, there were five of them perched on the roof of a new, black Lexus SUV. As I walked past, I chased them off, but they returned immediately. I can imagine the look on the owner's face when he returned.
-Bernie

Bernievw said:
Thanks for the info! I have a good polisher - I just wondered what product to use on this car. This is the first really nice car I've had since I bought a new AMX in 1968. Kids and college will do that.

Couple of days ago, I stopped at one of the local mega-malls. Seagulls everywhere (Lake Michigan's real close) because of all the dummies who throw food out in the lot. When I came out, there were five of them perched on the roof of a new, black Lexus SUV. As I walked past, I chased them off, but they returned immediately. I can imagine the look on the owner's face when he returned.
-Bernie
Before you use any kind of cleaner wax or anything like that try claying the area first. It wont cut into the clear area as much (or any)as the cleaners do. It works for me. As long as the poop hasnt sat in the area very long there wont be a problem. If you try this let me know how it worked for you.!

avacorvette said:

Same here. Poop was only on the car 20 mins tops. Nothing I tried worked. Mag Red here also. Seems to have etched the clear coat. Good luck

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom