Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Boom boom update

69MyWay

Corvette
1969 Killer Shark
Okay,

I got some great feedback regarding my first boom boom sound design for the 69. Remember, the goal here is not to have award winning quality sound, in favor of enough sound to over power the sidepipes and aggravate my neighbors.

So, a good friend of mine (Bill Angel) is very handy with wood. He got this strange dense wood (he said it is good for speakers), and made a custom box for me using biscuit joints, glue, and screws. I am now putting the 500 watt amp under the passenger seat where it has the chance of getting more air flow than boxed up in the rear compartment.

I am going to put a pair of 5" mid/tweets in each upper corner of this box. However, I will have to make a fiberglass cup behind them to isolate them from the pressure of the MTX subs kicking.

I will either prep and spray this box in the truck bedliner stuff, or cover it in vinyl.

MVC-019S.JPG

Sort of makes the 8" Bazooka bass tube I'm installing this weekend look small:cry I sure hope women don't judge a guy by the size of their sub...woofer:D

Regards,

Jim

Quick update.

I decided to mount my 5" infinity speakers back here as well. One problem though, the pressure from the subs will distort the 5" speakers if they share the same air space.

So, I took some tin foil and molded it into the 5" hole to contour the back of the speaker. Then, I glassed them in.

Next, I roughed up the entire box and glassed the whole box.

This is to make it weather proof (as a convertible it is sure to get a leak at one time or another, don't want the box falling apart), provide a surface for a glamour coating, and provide more sound insulation.

Speaker%20Box%20Glassed.JPG

Here it is with my lovely assistants in a fresh coating of truck bed liner material. This will ensure it to be waterproof, provide a textured finish that will compliment other plastic trim parts in the interior.

Speaker%20Box%20Sprayed.JPG

Ah, this is schweeeeeeeeeet. Here it is with the speakers mounted. It sounds VERY strong.

speaker%20box%20finished.JPG

Here is the amp mounting. I have mounted an aluminum stud plate to the floor. This will all be cleaned up later and wires routed better.

Note how the "roll" bar plates go all the way down through the seat mounting location.

Amp%20Mounting.JPG

The man is truly insane. Glad it won't be my "nads' sitting on top of that amp. :D I can't wait to see/hear it.

Still waiting ........ Nut

Chris,
The sound box looks great. You may have this posted elsewhere, but where did you get the roll bars? Those look great! I would love to do something like that in mine. If you tell me you made them, I am going to drive there and strangle you....no on second thought, I will just want you to make me a set!;)

Hijinx said:
Chris,
The sound box looks great. You may have this posted elsewhere, but where did you get the roll bars? Those look great! I would love to do something like that in mine. If you tell me you made them, I am going to drive there and strangle you....no on second thought, I will just want you to make me a set!;)

:L Better start driving this way. Actually, I did not make them, but I had them made at a local welding/speed shop. I think this post is the first one that shows a good pic of how they tie down under the seats. Is it NHRA or NASCAR approved?, NO, but it is 1,000 times better than the stock stuff. Plus the bright yellow five point harness is going to look kewl!!!

Jimmy Britts of Southern Speed Racing built them for me. He is a VERY gifted and talented individual.

Do me a favor. If you really like what you see, contact Jimmy at

Jimmy Britts

Just let him know what you think. He would be able to make you a set and ship them out. He has a pair of C3 T-top cars at this shop now and could use them for a template. Yours would be different since you have a roof.

Kewl, I'll give him a ring, see what he can do for me. Whew, guess I wont have to make that long drive. However, if you want to do some work on the Vette, I might make the trip. You seem to have a nack for the tough stuff. I know, get me a motor and I'll run down there and we can drop it in. Something on the order of say 425 HP?:_rock

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom