Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

BOSE Junk Radio Broke Again!

zagger

Corvette
99 C5 Convertible
My third radio unit broke again, the CD player will not read any of my cd's again. I'm tired of paying $300 a pop for these radios! I cant believe GM would install such trash in a car like a Corvette. I just wonder haw many of you had the same problem with your C-5's.:mad

Haven't had any problems yet. But my Vette is only an '04. Give it some time.

Anyway, I thought the Bose system was going to sound a lot better. I'm really disappointed. The car excels in so many other ways that you expect the sound system to be high quality too. I'm probably going to replace the system after my warranty expires.

I guess I'm a lucky one, my 99 have work great and never had a problem.....knock on wood.
:upthumbs :beer :w

zagger said:
My third radio unit broke again, the CD player will not read any of my cd's again. I'm tired of paying $300 a pop for these radios! I cant believe GM would install such trash in a car like a Corvette. I just wonder haw many of you had the same problem with your C-5's.:mad

Just curious, do you play homemade cd's in your car? Or did you, I should say?

I just got my clarion head unit and should get my Peripheral Bose adapters this week.

Hope it all works.

Radio?
My 97 works just fine, but here AR I'am so busy driving I don't turn the d---
thing on. I love hearing the the LS1 and powering around curves. There are a lot of winding roads here and having a Radio on (let a lone) a Bose would ruin it all.

I pay little attention to the radio or the CD system. My kid on the other hand has noted that most of his "home burned" CD's won't work well in any of the cars, Vettte or the Volvo. He claims that they play OK on the computer or his home system.

I mostly burn my own cd's, but they work just fine on my other four cars. Also it's not like I blast the radio or abuse it in any way. I'm sort of glad that most of you don't have similar problem, it leads me to belief that I might have isolated problem. Lucky me:crazy. I'm thinking of checking the wiring before buying another radio unit, it might be shorting out or maybe spiking the voltage during driving and causing the unit to malfunction. Anyway if I find anything I'll make sure and post it.

And it definitely won't play any CD's recorded in the MP3 format.

Randy

This happened to me one time, too. Every time I tried to play a cd, I got an err message. It turned out that my cd's were upside down in my stacker!

zagger said:
i owned 3 new C-5s,97,99 and 02 and never had a problem with the CDs playing BUT i bought all my CDs and 2 of the 3 had the 12 CD changer in the back which were panasonics i believe. my C-6 radio which is a siemens by the way was replaced under warranty because of issues with CDs.

Adding a CD changer, that is a great idea since I only had problems with the CD portion of the radio. And since I have to purchase a new radio anyway, might as well make it with changer controls built in.
This board rocks, thanks for all the input.:w

This has always bothered me about the Vettes. The audio in the cars is far below what you would expect in cars of their price. The head units are the same as the ones in my Avalanche, and many other G.M. products.

Guess I'm a little confused by the original post but what is "broken" in the radio? Does it work at all? Will it play CD's purchased from a retail store? Or just won't play the one's you have burned? Does the radio play? Do all of the features and controls in the radio work OK like the clock, EQ, treble/bass and fader controls?

The CD player in my 02 won't play CD's that I create myself but retail CD's work fine. In my 99 Silverado, the CD player is a separate unit and it will play my hme CD's.

The C5 12-disc changer can be added by simply buying a unit and installing it in the rear storage compartment and running the factory cable to the connector above the fuse panel in the passenger side footwell. There is a connector up there that the aux cable connects to and that is all that is necessary for the 12-disc changer to work. Both autdio signals and power are run thru this cable assembly.

Panasonic supplied the changer to GM and the same changer was used on other GM cars. Don't know who made the head units but because they are pretty much the same in a variety of GM cars and trucks, they could have been made under contract by a number of sources.

The factory head unit does not need anything. Either the CD or cassette head unit will drive the 12-disc changer.

OK, just installed new CD changer and radio unit. I was happy to find everything pre wired so the install was a snap, hope this one will last. I due lots of driving in the mountains and desert and I'm not into mexican band music, so the CD's are the only source of music. :lou

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom