Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Important! Bowling Green Corvette Assembly Plant Workers Authorize a Strike

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
Bowling Green Corvette Assembly Plant Workers Authorize a Strike

Rob Loszewski
Corvette Action Center
April 9, 2014

WDRB 41 out of Louisville, Kentucky is reporting that the workers of the Bowling Green Corvette Assembly Plant have voted and authorized a strike in light of yesterday's news in The Tennessean Newspaper that the workers were being mistreated.

According to WDRB and The Tennessean, the workers are upset with mistreatment, safety conditions and quality control within the plant.

Eldon Renaud, the head of UAW Local 2164 told WDRB that there have been several near-misses within the plant that could have led to serious injuries to the workers. If negotiations between the UAW and management prove to be beneficial and agreeable to the UAW, a strike at the Bowling Green Assembly Plant could be avoided.

We'll keep our members updated as we receive news on these developments.

Bowling Green Corvette Assembly Plant Workers Authorize a Strike

Rob Loszewski
Corvette Action Center
April 9, 2014

WDRB 41 out of Louisville, Kentucky is reporting that the workers of the Bowling Green Corvette Assembly Plant have voted and authorized a strike in light of yesterday's news in The Tennessean Newspaper that the workers were being mistreated.

According to WDRB and The Tennessean, the workers are upset with mistreatment, safety conditions and quality control within the plant.

Eldon Renaud, the head of UAW Local 2164 told WDRB that there have been several near-misses within the plant that could have led to serious injuries to the workers. If negotiations between the UAW and management prove to be beneficial and agreeable to the UAW, a strike at the Bowling Green Assembly Plant could be avoided.

We'll keep our members updated as we receive news on these developments.

GM needs to dump the UAW. Gives the Corvette a black eye. Mangement and workers need to work as a Team to build the best product that they can. That obviously is NOT happening. Move the Corvette factory out of Bowling Green, further south to a Right to Work state.

GM needs to dump the UAW. Gives the Corvette a black eye. Mangement and workers need to work as a Team to build the best product that they can. That obviously is NOT happening. Move the Corvette factory out of Bowling Green, further south to a Right to Work state.

1. GM won't dump the UAW. Too many locations are in states that have strong pro-union laws, so that would never work for GM.

2. Because of 1, it wouldn't matter if GM relocated that assembly plant to Key West, Florida. The UAW would still represent the workers to GM.

3. This is apparently over working conditions and product quality. If it's documented that there have been several near-miss events in the plant (and if that term carries the same definition as it does for the company I work for), then I can absolutely see their point. I'm a bit less convinced about the UAW's concern about product quality. That seems to be a catch all phrase that all parties use when discussing the need FOR or AGAINST a strike.

I'm a firm believer that employees are entitled to have working conditions that enable them to leave with the same number of fingers and toes that they arrive with each shift. There may be many reasons that explain why more safety problems are occurring than in the past (new product, new methods, new employees, higher production rate). It's too bad that this couldn't have been settled internally between management and the union.

I just hope that this doesn't turn nasty and poison the well between BG management and the Union. For so many years, it seemed that BG was an example of how both management and union could come together and get things done. Maybe that was never true, or perhaps this is just a blip. I hope it's resolved soon, though.

Steven

1. GM won't dump the UAW. Too many locations are in states that have strong pro-union laws, so that would never work for GM.

2. Because of 1, it wouldn't matter if GM relocated that assembly plant to Key West, Florida. The UAW would still represent the workers to GM.

3. This is apparently over working conditions and product quality. If it's documented that there have been several near-miss events in the plant (and if that term carries the same definition as it does for the company I work for), then I can absolutely see their point. I'm a bit less convinced about the UAW's concern about product quality. That seems to be a catch all phrase that all parties use when discussing the need FOR or AGAINST a strike.

I'm a firm believer that employees are entitled to have working conditions that enable them to leave with the same number of fingers and toes that they arrive with each shift. There may be many reasons that explain why more safety problems are occurring than in the past (new product, new methods, new employees, higher production rate). It's too bad that this couldn't have been settled internally between management and the union.

I just hope that this doesn't turn nasty and poison the well between BG management and the Union. For so many years, it seemed that BG was an example of how both management and union could come together and get things done. Maybe that was never true, or perhaps this is just a blip. I hope it's resolved soon, though.

Steven

With the black eye from all the recall issues recently, this is all Government Motors needs. From everything I've read about the new Stingray as well as personal experience with previous generations, product quality is definitely an issue at the plant.

Last edited:
From personal experience most members are nothing but cry babies. If they don't want to work there go some where else. Plenty of good hard workers would love to have their jobs without having the UAW.

I agree

Steven

I've got to believe that there's a real issue here for these workers. Nobody's talking about money. Apparently, there's plenty of overtime and who wouldn't like building new Corvettes all day long? If this is about safety, then it may be related to the General's desire to crank out Vettes at any cost which, in the end, could compromise safety and quality. I think you really have to at least listen to what their beef is before you decide whether or not there's merit to it. In the long view, if Corvettes start coming out with quality flaws - especially ones that could have been avoided - it hurts the perception of the car itself. I think this can be fixed easily by both sides sitting down and talking.

There are issues at the plant. Did you ever wonder why the last plant manager left his "dream Job" so abruptly? I'd hold judgement about this action. We all know there are quality issues at BG. Do you think the workers were happy about all those crappy paint jobs being shipped? I have spoken to the final inspectors at the end of the line, and they are perfectionists, and wouldn't OK a defect.

The BG workers have been long known for cooperation with GM. They have seen their ranks cut by 50% without a peep, and actually suggested workplace mods that "old" unions would have never agreed to. I would never question a workplace safety issue without the facts. Remember, a large portion of the assembly area is under overhead conveyors, a less than ideal situation that isn't even allowed by OSHA in other industries.

BTW, I'm far from a union sympathizer. I spent most of my professional career on the other side of the table at bargaining and grievance meetings and working on anti-union campaigns at union-free plants in the south.

I hope the real issues come out at the end of this set-to, but they may not, by "mutual agreement."

I've got to believe that there's a real issue here for these workers. Nobody's talking about money. Apparently, there's plenty of overtime and who wouldn't like building new Corvettes all day long? If this is about safety, then it may be related to the General's desire to crank out Vettes at any cost which, in the end, could compromise safety and quality. I think you really have to at least listen to what their beef is before you decide whether or not there's merit to it. In the long view, if Corvettes start coming out with quality flaws - especially ones that could have been avoided - it hurts the perception of the car itself. I think this can be fixed easily by both sides sitting down and talking.

Oh please,
These workers are the most coddled group of workers on planet earth.
Who wouldn't want to build Corvettes all day long? Lazy ass Government Motors employees.
You can bet your ass safety is not the issue.

"A local UAW official said Sunday that negotiators had wrapped up work on most issues and were determining how much money GM must put into a trust fund for retiree health care that will be managed by the UAW. The official spoke on the condition of anonymity because the talks are private.

The health care fund -- known as a Voluntary Employees Beneficiary Association, or VEBA -- would be a significant change for the auto industry and has been the major issue in this year's negotiations. GM has around $51 billion in unfunded retiree health care costs but the company isn't required to put the full amount into the VEBA. The UAW and GM have been wrangling over how much GM should put in and how much can be paid in cash or in stock.

GM, which has about 339,000 UAW retirees and spouses, badly wants to pay the union to form the VEBA to get the health care liabilities off its books. In exchange, the UAW was expected to ask for future work guarantees at its U.S. plants.

The UAW picked GM as the lead company and potential strike target in the negotiations, which began in July. Ford Motor Co. and Chrysler LLC have indefinitely extended their contracts with the union. They are expected to match many of the terms of GM's agreement once it's reached. The three automakers have a total of $90 billion in unfunded retiree health care costs."

Based on history alone, who do you think will wind up paying for these retires pensions?

I have been seing some of these new C7 at the dealer in my area.

The first thing I notice is the orange peel in the paint.

If ordered one and it came in with and over abundance of bad paint I would refuse it until it was made right.

There are issues at the plant. Did you ever wonder why the last plant manager left his "dream Job" so abruptly? I'd hold judgement about this action. We all know there are quality issues at BG. Do you think the workers were happy about all those crappy paint jobs being shipped? I have spoken to the final inspectors at the end of the line, and they are perfectionists, and wouldn't OK a defect.

The BG workers have been long known for cooperation with GM. They have seen their ranks cut by 50% without a peep, and actually suggested workplace mods that "old" unions would have never agreed to. I would never question a workplace safety issue without the facts. Remember, a large portion of the assembly area is under overhead conveyors, a less than ideal situation that isn't even allowed by OSHA in other industries.

BTW, I'm far from a union sympathizer. I spent most of my professional career on the other side of the table at bargaining and grievance meetings and working on anti-union campaigns at union-free plants in the south.

I hope the real issues come out at the end of this set-to, but they may not, by "mutual agreement."

If that's the case, why have so many cars ended up on dealer lots with lousy paint work, poor exterior panel fit, poorly assembled interior pieces, leaking roof panels, etc.? Historically, we older Corvette affecianados have put up with these defects as part of the "Corvette experience."

If that's the case, why have so many cars ended up on dealer lots with lousy paint work, poor exterior panel fit, poorly assembled interior pieces, leaking roof panels, etc.? Historically, we older Corvette affecianados have put up with these defects as part of the "Corvette experience."

Because plant management, not the workers, say when a car is ready to go. The inspectors tag the issues, and supervision takes it from there, as it should be. That lays something like obvious paint flaws squarely on the Company.
Back in the day, Vettes were no worse than other models at GM, and GM was no worse than the rest of the Big Three. GM didn't care because, at one time, they owned nearly 50% of the market, and were more worried about being broken up as a monopoly. The union and GM walked hand in hand down the "anything is good enough" road.

I've been in situations where the employer didn't listen to my concerns about safety conditions and the only way I got results was during contract negotiations, with the Union present. Going up 30 feet on the blades of a fork lift with no safety box. Standing on the blades and trying to work on re-stacking cases of beer. That safety concern was ignored until the Union got involved, so there are reasons that Unions exist.

Steven

OSHA does a much better job of policing employee safety. Somehow I think the Union is using employee safety as a scapegoat for other issues they have with management. OSHA fines a company and asks for corrective actions. With a strike, workers go home and watch TV. Which do you think contributes best to safety and building a better car?

Unfortunately, OSHA is about as useless as an organization can get, very reluctant to intervene in the workplace. Also, if you happen to be in a state with a recognized state government osha type agency, forget it. The threshold of conditions to effect an action from them is almost to the point that someone must die first. seriously......been there, done that.

With the government influence into running GM staring with the bailout, the dying economy, the impacts of Affordable Health Care, the push to get people into EVs; I'm not surprised that the Corvette union workers want healthcare and work guarantees - regardless of the real or imagined quality and safety concerns. Who isn't concerned about paying bills. SUVs and muscle cars arent exactly green EVs either. They are at risk.

I'm in a profession, no unions or pensions to cover my back. Just old fashioned penny wise planning. If I had a union, I might want them to work for me too.

Last edited:
I'll tell you a little story fellas.

I workd as a union electrician for 39 years. I attended apprenticeship school for 5 years before I was entitled to a journeyman card that qualified me to make $4.35 and hour then. Believe it or not that was good wages then.

I worked in the rain, snow, cold or I didn't get paid. Never any paid sick days but I made a decent wage and supported my family. With the decent wage I reinvested in our economy, paid my fair share in taxes and raised a family. We didn't have a lot of spare change when the bills were paid but we always put a little away for the future. I retired 12 years ago with a local pension and two international pensions. Our union provided an excellent healthcare plan with eye and dental also. Don't forget SS that they want to take away now. I am doing well because I was represented by a union that cared about my future.

You guys that knock unions I feel sorry for. You can't even find a 40 hour week job. No decent health care if any at all and no protection from employers that want to screw you to death. You are so lucky.

Get into a trade and join a union. I am living proof that it has benefits as opposed to working for non union employers. Unions are responsible for many, many benefits that non union people enjoy as a result of hard fought negotiations by unions. Paid vacations, 40 hour week....overtime over and above that, health care, safety regulations imposed on all jobs for your safety. You work under a contract signed by your employer so you don't get screwed and kicked out the door for a mis-understanding. You have rights.

Most of you won't agree with me because of all the negative anti-union sentiment now that has flooded the work place by multi billion dollar corporations that own DC. 50's, 60's, 70's and part of the 80's when unions had part of the work force were the best times ever for middle class workers. We made a decent wage and put it back into our economy to purchase America made goods.

For those who disagree with me don't be late for your part time low paying job now offered to most of you because your state representative, bought off by big corporations, and Washington gave your good paying union jobs to China. It will never be back. Are we better off....I think not.

Based on history alone, who do you think will wind up paying for these retires pensions?

The customer, the same ones that pays for golden parachutes for disgraced CEOs, early retirement for those salaried employees who don't cut the mustard, and every other pension including your's and mine.

Safety, quality then quantity: Hope it works out well for all parties involved...

:thumb

Very few employers take care of their labor, it's all about representation!

:lou

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom