Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Brakes for a '96 C4

bz1mcr

Corvette
1996 coupe red LT4
I would like to know what experience others have had with '96 C4 brakes. How many miles were driven on the original pads? Did you replace front and rear at the same time? When they were replaced were any new rotors needed? Calipers?

Background:
I have my '96 LT4 for sale. A prospective buyer is concerned about brake pads. The brakes are performing well and not making any noise which would indicate the pads are worn out. They are the OE brakes and the car has 56K miles. I am the second owner and bought the car with 50K on it. The inside front pads are the only ones I have looked at. They appear to have about 1/8 to 3/16 of pad remaining. It is hard to get a precise measure with the wheels on. The inside surface of the rotors appear to be in very good condition with no signs of streaking etc.

The new owner would be taking the car from the US into Canada. He says the brake pads are subject to inspection and he could be forced to get a brake job before being able to drive in Canada. I am willing to work with him but can use some advice from those who have experience with stock C4 brakes as used on the '96.

I am told the '96 brakes came with the J55 pads which were only available as an up grade befor '95. And, are expensive at the dealers.

My dealer quotes:
$24.95 for an inspection and estimate (can be applied to any work done).

Front pads installed with resurfaced rotors $382
Rear pads installed with resurfaced rotors $255

If I adjust the price to cover the cost of dealer installed Pads how likely am I to end up eating the cost of some new rotors or calipers?

What do you think guys?;help

My dealer quotes:

If I adjust the price to cover the cost of dealer installed Pads how likely am I to end up eating the cost of some new rotors or calipers?

They're not called stealerships for nothing. Find a good independant mechanic in your area.

Pads are VERY easy to install, and even at a dealer they are under $70/axle. Comes with new bolts too.

If you are abel to do the job yourself then go to Advance Auto or some parts store and buy their midrange brakes. GM does not recommend turning the rotors (from my service manual)unless they are scored badly. Doing it yourself you probable could get buy for about $100.00.:)

Those prices are absolutely insane. Changing the front brake pads are about the easiest thing to do on the C4.

It sounds like you only need to replace the pads, very easy to do, basically remove the wheel, one bolt, swing the caliper out, remove the pads, depress the piston (so the pads will fit back over the rotor), rotate the caliper back down, install the bolt, tighten it and put the wheel back on.

In the seven years I've had C4 I've replaced the front once and the rear once.

I agree, totally, with JR and 90EXP.

I've never heard of pads being a deal-breaker, especially on a Vette. I'd tell the guy to walk.........buyer is either not serious, or he is playing with your emotions = $$.

I just replaced the brakes all arond on my 95 for under $100 $7.00 / rotor to turn them and $25/set of pads. Local Car Quest turned the rotors and bought the pads from Muskegon Brakes. Best brakes I've had on a c4 yet! Oh and I changed the fluid.

C4 brakes are CAKE! Especially with the clamshell hood and "on-board" workbench (steamroller tires) to sit on while you're swapping them out.

Definitely DO NOT get raped by the stealership on this one..

C4 brakes are CAKE! Especially with the clamshell hood and "on-board" workbench (steamroller tires) to sit on while you're swapping them out.

Definitely DO NOT get raped by the stealership on this one..

I'm just curious as to how you can do a brake job with the wheel still on the car? :confused

I'm just curious as to how you can do a brake job with the wheel still on the car? :confused

I think he meant the wheel is off the car and he's using it as a seat with the side wall on the ground of course. I never thought of that, I'm always looking for something to sit on when doing brakes but everything is too high! Have to give that a try. Also, I used some "Rotex Gold Kevlar Pads" on another vehicle which really have hardly any brake dust at all. And from what I've found so far, they have great stopping power are very quiet and suppose to last a long time. Wheels on a crossfire were so bad from dust I had to do this. I would consider these for the vette since their available. "Brakeworld.com" sells them. A bit pricey but cut out the dust by 95%. Just a thought. :beer

No, silly, you SIT on the removed tire while you're swapping the brake pads, rotors and other parts out. :boogie That's what I meant by "on-board" workbench. :w

The brakes, alternators and serpentine belts are three of the easiest C4 parts to swap out, IMO....

Background:
I have my '96 LT4 for sale. A prospective buyer is concerned about brake pads. The brakes are performing well and not making any noise which would indicate the pads are worn out. They are the OE brakes and the car has 56K miles. I am the second owner and bought the car with 50K on it. The inside front pads are the only ones I have looked at. They appear to have about 1/8 to 3/16 of pad remaining. It is hard to get a precise measure with the wheels on. The inside surface of the rotors appear to be in very good condition with no signs of streaking etc.

I'd find another buyer. Let me guess, this is his first Corvette, right?

The '96 LT4 is the epitome of the C4 model (along with CE and GS) in the opinion of many experts. If I were shopping for this model car, I wouldn't care if the brakes were missing completely as long as the rest of the car (engine, body, interior, suspension) was right.

Sight unseen, what are you asking for it? I'm interested.

Haynes repair manual
got the car? get one of these.
Look it up on pg. 9-4 for 1988 and later. It's a bunch of stuff that should be done.

Like most are saying easy to change pads. If the potential buyer has concerns with the pads what else is he concerned with? Sounds like someone just pulling your chain.

The J55 is the code for heavy duty brake system not the pads themselves.

This system was optional uptil '94 and standard for '95 and '96 if I recall correctly. This system includes the 13 inch rotor and caliper setup at the front wheels. The '96 Grand Sports use basically the same caliper. It is black with the CORVETTE name cast into the housing.

Like most are saying easy to change pads. If the potential buyer has concerns with the pads what else is he concerned with? Sounds like someone just pulling your chain.

The J55 is the code for heavy duty brake system not the pads themselves.

This system was optional uptil '94 and standard for '95 and '96 if I recall correctly. This system includes the 13 inch rotor and caliper setup at the front wheels. The '96 Grand Sports use basically the same caliper. It is black with the CORVETTE name cast into the housing.

The buyer could also be Corvette savvy, knows a good deal when he sees it and is simply trying to goad the seller into lowering his offer.

I would like to know what experience others have had with '96 C4 brakes. How many miles were driven on the original pads? Did you replace front and rear at the same time? When they were replaced were any new rotors needed? Calipers?

Background:

The new owner would be taking the car from the US into Canada. He says the brake pads are subject to inspection and he could be forced to get a brake job before being able to drive in Canada. I am willing to work with him but can use some advice from those who have experience with stock C4 brakes as used on the '96.

I am told the '96 brakes came with the J55 pads which were only available as an up grade befor '95. And, are expensive at the dealers.

My dealer quotes:

Just did the brakes myself and yes they were shot. They were right down to the screamers. Used Ceramicol brand full ceramic pads front and back. $106 for the front, $86 for the rear. The job was a snap. While I had the car up I replaced the shocks too, they were done. Used Bilstein originals. Everything else is fine so far.

Well done. Now the real question why don't you keep the car? You have rebuilt it to be a good daily driver and the prospective buyer would be getting all your work for free. It sounds like he has been stringing you along to get you to do all the maintenance for him. Remember as a used car you are selling it as is and the new buyer should expect to repair some things because it is not a new car. I would be afraid of this guy because he sounds like the sort who would come back at you with a law suit if something goes wrong with the car after he has paid for it. Just my .02 worth.

Well done. Now the real question why don't you keep the car? You have rebuilt it to be a good daily driver and the prospective buyer would be getting all your work for free. It sounds like he has been stringing you along to get you to do all the maintenance for him. Remember as a used car you are selling it as is and the new buyer should expect to repair some things because it is not a new car. I would be afraid of this guy because he sounds like the sort who would come back at you with a law suit if something goes wrong with the car after he has paid for it. Just my .02 worth.

Thanks for the 2 cents worth....check the thread, I AM THE NEW BUYER. You definately have trust issues.

Thanks for the 2 cents worth....check the thread, I AM THE NEW BUYER. You definately have trust issues.

I did not catch that you were the new buyer with your post. :eyerole Please accept my apology for that error. No I don't have trust issues I have had experience and have been there and done that.

Again I say well done on the Brakes The satisfaction of doing something for yourself is priceless.

Now for the most important information. Welcome to the :CAC

You will find here the people who will become like family and who are just waiting to be of help if you have a problem with your car. :beer

I did not catch that you were the new buyer with your post. :eyerole Please accept my apology for that error. No I don't have trust issues I have had experience and have been there and done that.

Again I say well done on the Brakes The satisfaction of doing something for yourself is priceless.

Now for the most important information. Welcome to the :CAC

You will find here the people who will become like family and who are just waiting to be of help if you have a problem with your car. :beer

Thanks for the welcome. As you point out it is a great forum and the people are very helpful with their experience and advice. I found this forum by accident, but am I ever glad I did. I've been repairing my own vehicles for years with no formal training as a mechanic, just the love of cars and a keen interest in things mechanical. Its been many years since I've had a car like this so I just couldn't wait to get at it. Like to commercial says there's nothing like cardbaord on cold concrete. Cheers!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom