Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C 1 Five Speed

Bwmurph

Corvette
'59 Blk/Red, '12 Crystal Red GS
Any recommendations on who / where to purchase a 5 speed for my '59 ? I assume most of them are Tremecs, but I'm not sure. I sent a quote request to ProFormance Powertrain a few days ago with no response yet (but it is Easter weekend).

Any insight, recommendations, suggestions, etc... would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bernie O

That looks to be a very complete conversion package. I don't have any experience with them or any other company offering 5 speed conversions but several members were doing these a few years ago. One site that most were using then no longer works or shows up on a search so I won't even mention their name. I think they all use the Tremac. You might try a search of the forum for threads.

You might also consider a Hurst conversion.
Tom

Tom,

That Hurst kit looks interesting, but would I have to use the Hydraulic Clutch Fork kit ? Also, what about the driveshaft ? I understand I cannot use my stock C-1 d/s, and probably wouldn't want to anyway.

Thanks for your help !

Bernie O

Good questions. If the transmission bolts to your stock bellhousing you wouldn't. I don't know if their bellhousing has a fork ball or not. I'd contact them. Maybe they could customize a kit with just the parts that you need.

Tom

Tom,

Yeah, didn't mean to put you on the spot -- after I posted I thought " I should just call Hurst and see what they have to say ".

Still haven't had a response from the other guys on my quote request so I'm about to write them off.

Thanks for your help,

Bernie O

No problem. I wish I knew more about these conversions. If I ever get a chance to look one over at a show I'll be asking a lot of questions.

Tom

I put a Richmond Street 5-spd in my 57 in 2002. Only 2 modifications: 1) had to get a fine-spline yoke for the driveshaft (still using the stock driveshaft) & had to fabricate a new trans mount. No other body/chassis modifications at all! Pics are on another computer so I'll try to post 'em shortly. Driven to CA from FL; MI from FL, NCM from FL (& back, of course) all without problem one. Ask around...my 57 does not go on a trailer.

Here's a few pics: The trans mount (bottom of car is to the right...); next 4: out for a little repair in 2013; the last is the installation with a correct 57 shift lever & custom 5-spd plate.
IMG_1208.jpgCIMG6840.jpgCIMG6842.jpgCIMG6843.jpgCIMG6844.jpg07230001.jpg
The 2nd to last pic showing the trans out- there's no mods at all with this unit. It bolts right up to the bellhousing.

Last edited:
I put a Tremec TKO 600 in my '62 last year and wished I had done it sooner. Got the kit from American Powertrain, including driveshaft, rear mount, etc. I'm running 1900 RPM at 70 MPH. Bolted right in after cutting out the ashtray pocket.

Dave B

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom