Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C2 Instrument Cluster question

Corvette
www.67HEAVEN.com
Are the letters around the ignition switch, wiper, headlights, etc. simply the background-material showing through rather than painted on?

If so, any suggestions on how to make them magically reappear after spray painting the cluster? :D

Not sure if they changed it, but on my 63 looks like just the tips of the letters are painted white. Maybe if you were real carefull with a fine brush? Or swipped it with a sponge or rag lightly as to not touch the flats.

I was wondering the same thing. I have a 66 and it looked just like background material (metal). I spray painted the console, then used an exacto knife blade to gently scrape away the top surface of each letter to reveal the metal.

Looks nice, but not sure if original.

I re-did my interior in red/black leather. When refinishing the dash face, I painted the instrument lettering red. Looks kinda' racey, and still easy to see. On my '65 the original finish was removed from the lettering letting the panel's finish show through. Looked like chrome.

67HEAVEN said:
Are the letters around the ignition switch, wiper, headlights, etc. simply the background-material showing through rather than painted on?

If so, any suggestions on how to make them magically reappear after spray painting the cluster? :D
just brush the letters lightly with medium steel wool and they'll come out perfect. Use steel wool to clean and polish the bezel rings and the chrome trim also. NEVER use scotch brite or other abrasives on chrome.

ricktret said:
just brush the letters lightly with medium steel wool and they'll come out perfect. Use steel wool to clean and polish the bezel rings and the chrome trim also. NEVER use scotch brite or other abrasives on chrome.
Good info. Thanks.

How crisp a line around the bezel rings is possible with this method? Near original look?

Did the black paint around the rings require any touch up on your car? If so, did you completely remove the black or did you attempt to feather it in?

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

67HEAVEN said:
Good info. Thanks.

How crisp a line around the bezel rings is possible with this method? Near original look?

Did the black paint around the rings require any touch up on your car? If so, did you completely remove the black or did you attempt to feather it in?

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.
I just do the tops of the bezels by running my finger around them. If you go all the way down to the surface of the cluster, you get too much glare off of the chrome. If you still want to do the entire bezel, wrap the steel wool around the tip of a popsicle stick or similar object. You have to be very careful at the base. You can also use a thin piece of plastic cut to match the base of the bezel and use it to keep the wool away from the surface of the cluster.

67Heaven,

It's a little late now (since you painted the cluster already), but when I painted mine, I bought some painters masking tape, then taped over the chrome portion of each bezel, and used a small/sharp exacto knife blade to "trim" the tape on both sides to just cover the very top, chrome portion of each bezel.

Then I painted and removed the tape and it looks great.

A little tedious, but thought someone else might need to do the same someday.

Doug

tigernut said:
67Heaven,

It's a little late now (since you painted the cluster already), but when I painted mine, I bought some painters masking tape, then taped over the chrome portion of each bezel, and used a small/sharp exacto knife blade to "trim" the tape on both sides to just cover the very top, chrome portion of each bezel.

Then I painted and removed the tape and it looks great.

A little tedious, but thought someone else might need to do the same someday.

Doug
No, no, no. The cluster is not painted yet. Thanks for the info.

ricktret said:
I just do the tops of the bezels by running my finger around them. If you go all the way down to the surface of the cluster, you get too much glare off of the chrome. If you still want to do the entire bezel, wrap the steel wool around the tip of a popsicle stick or similar object. You have to be very careful at the base. You can also use a thin piece of plastic cut to match the base of the bezel and use it to keep the wool away from the surface of the cluster.
When I asked about the black around the rings, I was asking if you had to touch it up or was it okay as is.

If it required work, did you remove the black from around the bezel rings entirely and then re-paint or did you feather in any areas where the black was missing (scratched, etc.) and then re-paint?

Another option is to use some type of chalk to rub against the raised letters.
They do sell specialized chalk for that.

But, I believe it works better when the letters are engraved, not raised.

I have never had to do any touchup. Just take your time, wrap the wool around the tip of your index finger, and go slowly. If I did cut into the paint on the sides of a bezel, I think I'd probably feather it out and touch up.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom