Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C2 Virgin Questions: 1965 with 327/350......

Chuck540MZ

Hi guys,

I'm totally new here and as the subject line reads, I know almost nothing about C2 Corvettes. I have a couple of BMW's that I play with a lot, but I've always wanted a mid-sixties Vette. I have a line on one that's available from a friend, so before I go leap into this arena I have several questions, so please bear with me.

This particular Vette is a 1965 Coupe with the 327/350HP engine and 62,000 miles. The numbers do not match since the engine was replaced and the color is bright yellow, not the factory yellow which I really don't like anyway. I can hear everyone scream "RUN" already.

The car had the so-called "Frame-up Restoration" 3 years ago and to my untrained eye, it looks to be in excellent shape. It has factory side pipes, 4-speed, air, leather and the knock-off wheels, which apparently can be traced through the car's serial number, so everything is "correct" for the car. My friend spent some more dough to replace one of the disc brakes, wiper motors and wiring harness and to his knowledge there is only one problem with the car- vapour lock when it's hot. He tells be that a re-routing of the fuel line and/or adding an electrical cooling fan should fix the problem, but he's not sure. Otherwise, the car runs great and has lots of power.

I do not plan on buying this car (or any other car) for investment purposes, because I want to drive it daily for about 3 months a year, so the "numbers-matching" deal isn't a big deal, IF the price is right. My friend is asking about $45K US, which may or may not be high, but I take some comfort in the following:

1) The car is already up here in Canada where C2's are very hard to find in good shape.

2) My friend is fairly well off, so anything that needed to be fixed was, other than the vapour lock problem.

3) As "numbers matching" perfect C2's go up in value, they have to drag the second tier cars up with them in value, since they aren't making 1965 Corvettes any more.

4) I love the car.

So, finally, the questions:

1) How's the price?

2) What are the main things to watch out for? Website to refer to?

3) If this isn't the car, how easy is it to buy a similar one elsewhere?

4) Anything else?

Thanks for your input.

as long as everything is is good condition, for a NOM (non original motor) car that has factory AC (not an aftermarket AC that was added on) I think $45,000 may be slightly high. $37k-$40k sounds a bit closer to the mark to me assuming US dollars.
$45k for a original motor/numbers matching AC car would a fair price in good driver condition, perhaps even a little higher.

Since the car is already a NOM car, the "wrong" color won't make much difference to the value unless you really hate the color and would have to figure on a repaint right away.

I would also agree that 45k is a tad on the high side for a NOM car with the wrong paint, but then again, you're in Canada so market prices have to be different. Even in the U.S. it's getting harder or should I say more expensive to purchase C2's without breaking the bank.

You can probably find a similar car in the states for cheaper, but then you have the hassle of transportation, related fee's, aggravation....etc. Be aware that you mentioned that certain things like knock-off wheels and side pipes can be traced through the car's vin, but unless the owner has an original Protecto-Plate or dealer invoice there is no documentation for anyone's c2 (63-66) that proves what options it came with. Build sheets were used starting in 67. Unless your friend has the protecto plate or dealer invoice, you cannot verify these options came with the car.

But again you mention that you don't care about that and just want to drive it. Sounds like a nice car. Show your friend some typical comparable cars being offered for sale and let the bargaining begin.

Thanks for your comments. I've decided, based upon the suggestions the price is high, to determine whether or not this car is close to perfect or not. If it is, I'll likely cave and give him his price. We live in oil boom-town Calgary, so all prices are silly these days anyway. If it's not, I'll grind the price down or walk.

I'll take this from another tack assuming the car is solid and the paint is in good shape. That price is a wee bit high but not unreasonable given the time of year and C2 price trends. The $45,000US asking price is about $51,100CDN. The car is local, can be seen, and available to you virtually immediately I would assume. And the weather is getting nice!

If you search out and source an equivalent vehicle from the USA for say $40,000US you are looking at about $45,500CDN. Add $1,000-1,500CDN for shipping. And you will pay the 7% Goods and Services Tax (GST) at the border. When I do the arithmetic on that it comes out at about $51,100CDN! And shipping adds 4-6 weeks to your wait time. I have not factored in any transportation costs for viewing the vehicle in the USA....Something I strongly advise.

Just a few thoughts.

Wow, good points I never thought of. I assume there could be other hassles like getting the car inspected, etc., too.

Where did you buy your car, if I may be so bold to ask?

A word from the opposition

I hate to disagree, but I think you would be hardpressed to find another car that nice for $45K. The personal connection would mean a great deal to me. Your comment about fixing what needs fixed points that out. You know the owner.

Just one warning, expect the unexpected. These cars can be a real pain. You will learn to hate the word ground. We've nicknamed our coupe "Fair Weather Gal," becuase everytime we get caught in the rain something happens.

On the other hand it is such an ego trip. There is no drug that can make you as high as running through the gears with side pipes thundering in your ears!

Welcome to the group.........................:upthumbs

I bought my car in Scranton, Pennsylvania. The process was very complicated. Here it is in 2003 ready for transit:

bag.jpg

And now.

paintfinal011.jpg

Chuck540MZ said:
Hi guys,

I'm totally new here........

2) What are the main things to watch out for? Website to refer to?

First of all, Chuck, welcome to the :CAC It's good to see another Canuck here.

To answer one of your questions.......the birdcage and the lower part of the frame near the rear kick-ups that go up over the rear suspension.

I had no frame problems, but I did have some minor birdcage problems. See CHAPTER 12 on my site.

These old cars are just that. Old cars. Therefore, there will be some ongoing problems.........but believe me........the smiles and thrills more than make up for them. ;)

Welcome to CAC heres my $.02
If you can pay the price and you love the car (Its what you have been dreaming about) go for it, enjoy it drive it as much as you can, they run better when they are exercised. Vapor lock can be cured

Show us some pictures,

Does it run?
Can you get in it and drive it till next winter?

We have a short driving season here in New York. I can only assume your is the same

If the car is safe, not rotted, Buy it We only live once

I will be seeing the car this weekend (it's out of town) and taking pics. I will post them whether I buy the car or not for you guys to shoot darts at it.:D

Pics!

I finally had a chance to view the car and I took these pics yesterday. So far, so good?

1Vettefront.jpg

2Vetterearqtr.jpg

3Vetterear.jpg

Now pics of the "NOM" engine. What can you find that isn't right?

6Vetteengine1.jpg

7Vetteengine2.jpg

8Vetteengine3.jpg

Now the interior. Shifter looks funny, huh?...

4Vetteinterior1.jpg

5Vetteinterior2.jpg

Some more pics....

9Vettepipe.jpg

10Vettewheel.jpg

More pics on next post (since I'm limited to 10)...

Pics (cont'd)....

Now a couple of deal killer pics. I had to be subtle so as not to offend the seller. In the first, underneath the chrome vent grill the finish was HORRIBLE. It was very rough and they even spray painted the washer hose. If they took short cuts here, think of where else they did....

11Vetteflaw1.jpg

Here on the door jamb was a typical crack that I found everywhere....

12Vetteflaw2.jpg

and under the glove box it was very rough. Serial number stuff for those who might know what it means...

13Vetteserialnumbers.jpg

What really killed the deal was the fact that the owner had an appraisal done by someone who knew about Vettes. In the appraisal it talked about bad corrosion on the frame and the engine was a "bored out 283, not a 327", among other things. Then I took it for a ride. WOW, was it loud! You could not drive it in any gear at any speed without the side pipes roaring. So now I have a bunch more questions:

1) Do ALL side pipe C2's make this much racket?

2) What did you think of the condition of the interior? Typical?

3) Am I naive to believe that I could buy another C2 that was almost perfect for 45K US?

4) Any other thoughts?

Thank guys.

1) Do ALL side pipe C2's make this much racket? I have a 1966 427/425 car with side pipes and I would not call it a racket, Quiet its NOT , but its a nice rumble.I would definately says its quieter then a ricers exchaust system

2) What did you think of the condition of the interior? Typical? I think the interiour and the exsteriour both look typical with the exception of the paint ,It looks like a sweeter version of the sunfire yellow too bright not the normal drab yellow

3) Am I naive to believe that I could buy another C2 that was almost perfect for 45K US? If the bottom is not rotted it seams to be the recent prices I have seen for an air conditioned midyear.

4) Any other thoughts? With out seeing the bottom of the car, I am just guessing but In our area we call this an old lady in a new dress. Not a true restoration ,just a cosmetics restoration. I may be wrong

How did the bottom look

Bottom looked OK- no obvious rust, and the front end had new tie-rod parts. What I didn't mention was that MANY trim pieces did not fit well. For eg., the corner chrome piece around the windshield had a quarter inch gap between it and the body. The lower panel under the rear bumper had no gap on the right side and a 3/8" gap on the left side. All the hardware under the dash looked very worn and/or broken and the driver's window would not go down without a bunch of clunking sounds.

Yeah, I know, all this stuff can be fixed, but for $45K, I'd like to start out almost trouble free for the first few months of ownership. I could see myself dropping another $10- $20K into the car. Then I'd have a $65K NOM C2. Ouch!

Your instincts are good, and Larry is correct......"old lady in a new dress".

Unless the price came down a lot, I'd keep looking. It's not that it's junk, but there's plenty that you've picked up on already. Imagine after really getting into it.

Good luck in your search.

I'd agree that there are too many areas needing attention for a $45,000 car. I'd not go over about mid 30s on this car from the standpoint of how much money it's going to take to make this an honest $45,000 car. Of course that's assuming that it would pass a thorough frame inspection up on a lift. The trim plate says Glen Green and saddle leather trim.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom