Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: C3 (77) Door/Window Mechanism Rebuild

My77Vette

Can anyone direct me to where I can find some very good and detailed directions on the steps to take to rebuild the window and internal door hardware, to include the door handle? I have a 77 that needs some window adjustments, door handle and lock (inside and out) adjustments. Many thanks.

Great questions, I wish I could help you but I will be watching for responses. I hate that the windows rattle like they are attached with twine!!

Door/window mechanism rebuild

Great questions, I wish I could help you but I will be watching for responses. I hate that the windows rattle like they are attached with twine!!

So far, I have only been able to find a video, but the video showed the door after everything was removed... Looking forward to a few helpful posts.

outside broken door handle

Hello all. I have a similar situation with my outside door handle. The casting broke on the handle were the adjustable rod or pivot pin attaches. I have removed the handle but I cannot figure out to remove the adjustable rod from the latch. I was hoping to find a clip of sorts to unhook and then remove. Do I have to remove the whole latch to disassemble? It would seem like a pain as there are adjustments to be made. I have not been able to source a good image of the connection. Strangely enough, my AIM book falls short on this connection. I did check Bobs Zip site that covered most but not how to remove the adjustable rod from the latch. Thank you for any advice, Mike. :beer

I think a shop manual for your year of C3 is the best way to go. You can get one thru Amazon or E-Bay.

Thanks toobroke, I do have a Haynes manual and a 1974 Chilton manual. Both are fairly good. I looked again today for a clip on the rod but no luck. I see the rods from the venders has a clip. Although the Assembly manual does not show one. Maybe a pressed fit. Thanks again, Mike. :beer

The rod is held to handle with a clip. The other end goes down to the latch arm. There is a pivot screwed on to end of the rod for adjusting the throw of the handle. The pivot has a stud that goes through the arm and a sliding clip slides on the arm to lock the pivot in the arm. The pivot stud is grooved for the sliding clip to catch it. Wipe it clean and you will see it.

The rod is held to handle with a clip. The other end goes down to the latch arm. There is a pivot screwed on to end of the rod for adjusting the throw of the handle. The pivot has a stud that goes through the arm and a sliding clip slides on the arm to lock the pivot in the arm. The pivot stud is grooved for the sliding clip to catch it. Wipe it clean and you will see it.

Thanks a ton Gary! I looked at it with a small dental mirror and it kind of looked like a clip back there. I was going to remove the latch assembly today but the long arm inside the door skin only had a clip on the lower end, seems unusual. So easy if there was a clip on both ends. Any tips? Thanks again, Mike. :beer

Thanks a ton Gary! I looked at it with a small dental mirror and it kind of looked like a clip back there. I was going to remove the latch assembly today but the long arm inside the door skin only had a clip on the lower end, seems unusual. So easy if there was a clip on both ends. Any tips? Thanks again, Mike. :beer

Mike
All the rods originally had some type of clip. The one on the arm for the pivot is flush with the arm and with dirt on it looks all the same. There is a hole in the arm where a tab on clip locks in place to prevent it from sliding off.

Mike
All the rods originally had some type of clip. The one on the arm for the pivot is flush with the arm and with dirt on it looks all the same. There is a hole in the arm where a tab on clip locks in place to prevent it from sliding off.

And have patience putting the clip back on. You will need it. it is a bear. Unless someone has a great trick they would like to share.

The clip on the arm is tricky the 1st time around. The upper rod clip to handle lever isn't too bad but the lever hole will enlongate at times an the handle should be replaced. This is another imported part that is not the same quality at the GM handles were, they are cheap. The castings around the hinge pin were thin from the ones I saw, but I haven't purchased them in several years. What are the chances the Chinese parts got better?:ugh

Mike
Sorry it has taken some time to get back to the post. I believe if you start a post you should tell the whole story. And now looking back, I might have stolen this thread. Not good with computer Forums so I apologize. Anyway, I took your advice Gary and sprayed degreaser on the upper rod going to the handle. Sure enough there was a clip. Not what I had thought of as a clip, was looking for the double clamp swing down clip. Anyway, still hard to get to the pivot clip. I am thinking it might be easier to remove the latch assembly to get to the pivot clip. Am I opening a can of snakes by doing that or keep trying to get the mystery clip off? Thanks for any advice, Mike. :beer

Yes remove the latch. Reach up and remove the 2 speed nuts on the handle and the handle can be removed and checked. Clip the rod to the handle and slide it back in the door. Once you get it cleaned up and see how it works it's not too bad.

Yes remove the latch. Reach up and remove the 2 speed nuts on the handle and the handle can be removed and checked. Clip the rod to the handle and slide it back in the door. Once you get it cleaned up and see how it works it's not too bad.

Thanks Gary! I will remove the latch. I do have the handle off as the casting that the rod slips through broke. Thanks, Mike. :beer

There should be a gasket under the handle you're probably going to have to replace it too. Vendors should have it.

Yahoooooo!

Sorry its been so long, harvest time. The new handle is working now. Thanks to all that gave me advice. The key was Gary's advice to remove the latch. I got to look at the big picture. Not that bad of a project when you get to see it all. I bought a handle from Corvette Central for 40 bucks, CC special with the gasket. The casting that broke on mine was a couple C hairs smaller than the one I got from CC. The new handle did not have a weep hole like the one from the General, drilled one myself, no problem. A good thing. With some help of a couple of long screwdrivers to hold the linkage while I put the clips on, not to bad. The latch itself was really gummed up bad. Glad to have removed and clean it up. Next Spring I will do the same on the right side door. Sure. I am going to try to post some photos, Hope they come through and maybe help someone else. DSCN1614.jpgDSCN1616.jpgDSCN1617.jpgDSCN1620.jpgDSCN1621.jpgDSCN1623.jpgDSCN1624.jpgDSCN1627.jpg:beer

Good job, clearly looks gummed up from years of neglect, but then how many people would clean their door latches?

PS go Packers, although they need a kick in the ....!

Good job, clearly looks gummed up from years of neglect, but then how many people would clean their door latches?

PS go Packers, although they need a kick in the ....!

Thanks Gary, kind of like cleaning behind the fridge. And yes, the Pack needs help bad, but I will still stick with them, Take care, Mike. :beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom